"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2018, 07:40 AM   #11
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

All this talk of a poultry meatloaf has me thinking about a Cordon Bleu adapted meatloaf.

Old 01-26-2018, 08:49 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Ok, so my wife's turkey meatlump recipe is pretty basic, but it's healthy and fairly light.

She uses 93/7 ground turkey, eggwhites, Progresso brand seasoned breadcrumbs, fresh parsley, ketchup, a good mount of grated Romano cheese, finely minced Vidalia onion, and milk.

Sorry I don't have amounts, but she does it be eye, and by feel. Especially when adding the milk at the end. It's to get the right amount of gooey-ness, but not too gooey.

buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:25 AM   #13
Master Chef

Old 01-26-2018, 10:53 AM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
Thanks for the great video!

I need to try adding a little vanilla extract to my green beans, that is entirely new to me!
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:58 PM   #15
Cook

Meatloaf is not an entree or main dish to enjoy for its own flavour.

Meatloaf is a mother's strategy, and a very smart and sneaky one at that.

Kids love meat and tomato sauce. Meatloaf is like pizza without the crust and cheese. Start with ground beef and pork, toss in some bread crumbs (crust substitute), eggs, and a few other things, top with tomato sauce and kids will want more, more, more. Remember: tomatoes are really a fruit and quite sweet.

But loving, sneaky mums know meatloaf is a secret vegetable delivery system.

Sneaky mums saute onions, bell peppers, broccoli, zucchini, spinach, and other veggies. Then they puree them and add to meatloaf mixture. Then toss in herbs for more veggies and flavour. A bit of Worcestershire works magic.

Kids (and husbands) will happily devour lots of meatloaf and ask for more.

Some very astute mums will "concede" to make meatloaf "just to please the family", but only if they agree to eat the side serving of green beans, whatever.

This is why you can never make your MIL's meatloaf recipe and have your DH be as happy with your recipe as with his mum's.

Have fun with meatloaf recipes!
profnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 12:01 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by profnot View Post

Kids love meat and tomato sauce. Meatloaf is like pizza without the crust and cheese. Start with ground beef and pork, toss in some bread crumbs (crust substitute), eggs, and a few other things, top with tomato sauce and kids will want more, more, more. Remember: tomatoes are really a fruit and quite sweet.

But loving, sneaky mums know meatloaf is a secret vegetable delivery system.

Sneaky mums saute onions, bell peppers, broccoli, zucchini, spinach, and other veggies. Then they puree them and add to meatloaf mixture. Then toss in herbs for more veggies and flavour. A bit of Worcestershire works magic.

Kids (and husbands) will happily devour lots of meatloaf and ask for more.

Some very astute mums will "concede" to make meatloaf "just to please the family", but only if they agree to eat the side serving of green beans, whatever.

This is why you can never make your MIL's meatloaf recipe and have your DH be as happy with your recipe as with his mum's.

Have fun with meatloaf recipes!
My mom's meatloaf was dry and bland. Smothered in gravy, it worked.

I don't really agree with your statement that, "Meatloaf is not an entree or main dish to enjoy for its own flavour."

Done right, it is really good "comfort food." When I make meatloaf, I make it to enjoy.

CD
“Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are god. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are gods.” ― Christopher Hitchens
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 01:13 AM   #17
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

me, too! I love meatloaf and I don't trick anyone to eat more veggies.
Old 01-27-2018, 03:09 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

In some cases, you do what you have to do to get family to eat veggies. Thankfully, I never had that problem. We probably could happily become vegetarians with all of the veggies we like, if it weren't for giving up that truly yummy meat stuff.
Old 01-27-2018, 01:02 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by profnot View Post

We don't have children and we enjoy meatloaf regularly. Maybe you need to try a new meatloaf recipe
Old 01-27-2018, 01:14 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
My mom's meatloaf was dry and bland. Smothered in gravy, it worked.

I don't really agree with your statement that, "Meatloaf is not an entree or main dish to enjoy for its own flavour."

Done right, it is really good "comfort food." When I make meatloaf, I make it to enjoy.

CD
Agreed. I love meat loaf, perhaps more than I should. Mom never put veggies in it aside from some chopped onions, and mushroom soup and sliced pimento olives on top. Not even a drop of tomato anything in it, and quick oats instead of breadcrumbs. I still make it like she did. (All this talk about it - I may have to thaw out some ground beef this week )

Tags
meat, turkey