Bourbon Street Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
I don't think this dish is actually Cajun/Creole. However, most folks associate with that cuisine.

Bourbon Street Chicken

Though this dish is said to be NOT Cajun, It has become associated with Cajun and I see it on several good Cajun sites.

1 Chicken, cut up
-or- 1 ½# boneless chicken breast
For the glaze:
1 c Jim Beam Bourbon whiskey
½ c Dark brown sugar
1 c Ketchup
2 t Worcestershire sauce
¼ c White vinegar
1 T Fresh lemon juice
3 T garlic, minced
½ t Dry mustard
Salt and pepper to taste

Combine Bourbon, sugar, ketchup, sauce, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper. Chicken can be marinated for a few hours in the sauce, but it is not mandatory.
If you BBQ the chicken, baste it with the sauce. When it is turned be sure and reserve some for dipping.
If you are pan-fry the chicken , brown the chicken, then pour the sauce into the pan and simmer for 5 minutes till sauce thickens. Serve with rice or pasta.

Many years ago I worked near a little place that served this as the house special. Once in a blue moon I would treat myself and order a plateful brimming with mashed potatoes and dirty rice.....Thanks for jogging my memory of days gone by :)

Don't want to be redundant... so in a word Ooh La La. Looks great, Allen. I don't care for hot and spicy, and always looking for new ideas/ways to prepare chicken. Thank you.

How did I miss this one? I am putting it into my files now. I think this one will go over well with the kiddos. Anyone try this yet? If so, how did you do the chicken? I am thinking I would either do it in the oven or on the BBQ.

Constance said:
and I doubt if a Cajun would turn it down!

Cajuns don't turn any kind of food down, Connie. For true! I always liked the way Justin Wilson would describe numbers of servings on his Cajun cooking show:

"Feeds about 2 Cajuns and 12 regular people."

mudbug said:
I always liked the way Justin Wilson would describe numbers of servings on his Cajun cooking show:

"Feeds about 2 Cajuns and 12 regular people."
Wow maybe I am Cajun and just didn't know it :-p

This looks great. Copied, pasted & sent to myself. I wonder if this would be similiar to TGIFriday's Bourbon Chicken Bites. Actually, I think theirs is breaded but this sounds like it would work if I cubed the chicken, breaded, fried it & covered it with the sauce. Thank you!

OK, I did this tonight. Marinated the chicken breasts a bit first, then did them in the frying pan and poured the sauce over them in a casserole and let them bake for awhile. Served over rice and with a nice green salad. It was lovely Allen. I think next time I'm going to amp it up with some chiles. And maybe a little bit of molasses to deepen the flavour. This gets a 4 out of 5 stars at our place.

Alix just told me she made this - I am ripping this page out right now and filing it!

Next chicken dish will be this! I'll pound out the chicken and do that way if I use boneless, skinless - otherwise I'll brown and bake or brown and cover.

At my house we call this "oven" bbq chicken...you can use your favorite commercial bbq sauce or make your own as Allen's recipe does...

In season slice a couple of Vidalia onions on top...several shots of hot sauce or Tabasco and you are good to go....

Oh...the Jim Beam...serve it over ice... sip slowly...while the bird cooks.

Delicious.

Prepared using Garlic powder in place of actual garlic (yes, yes... gasp, 'heathen' and all that... but I have a big economy size jar of the stuff, and I'll use what I got before I buy more). Used 2 tsp of garlic, and I think that might have been just at tad understated, but was still yum.

I also used a little extra lemon juice when I pan-browned the chicken, so there was a bit more lemon flavor. I then simmered the chicken in the sauce for about 10 minutes (I'm not a big fan of alcohol, so I wanted as much out as possible, and I also like my sauce pretty thick). This is DEFINATELY getting in my "what to cook" list.

Golden Corral has Bourbon St Chicken on there buffet every day and they tell me they season with a proprietary seasoning and grill when almost done they give it a liberal shot of Teriyaki sauce and finish grilling, it is very good but no bourbon, and it realy stick's up the grill >:-(((((((nasty. yours sound good I am going to tryall though I am not a big fan of dead bird.
Dave

Mackeeg: I don't drink alcohol very often (we're talking almost never, though I do cook with beer and such occasionally), so I'm fairly sensitive to the taste. The "raw" sauce had a pretty noticeable (for me) alcohol taste, but wasn't actively unpleasant either. It's really just a matter of getting the alcohol out. You figure you've got just under a half cup of pure alcohol (90 proof bourbon) diluted in almost two and a half cups of other liquid ingredients (counting the sugar as liquid, brings the raw alcohol content down to about 20%). Cooking that for a while will drop it a lot, as alcohol has a much lower vaporization point than water and is probably the first to go.

After simmering (uncovered) as long as it did, almost all of the alcohol had evaporated, but left behind the other flavors from the bourbon, I didn't notice much of an alcohol taste at all. I'm sure someone less sensitive to it wouldn't have noticed a thing.

Planning on making this again soon.

Last edited:
Vaportrail, simmering the sauce for 10 minutes is not really removing much of the alcohol at all. Check out this chart to see what I mean.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom