"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 03-09-2008, 07:16 PM   #1
Head Chef

Braised Chicken in white wine

Fixed it tonight.. terrific.

I coated a fairly shallow roasting pan with basil/dried tomato flavored olive oil to keep things from sticking(and for flavor). Took a roasting hen, rubbed with butter then seasoned with mixed seasonings. I halved golden potatoes with the skin and placed around the bird. I also cleaned a few stalks of Fennel halved, and placed them in with the potatoes along with baby carrots. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt and black pepper.

In the pan I added 2 cup dry white wine, 2 cups water. Covered and placed in a 350F oven for 1 hour 15 minutes..

When the bird was done I removed it and the potatoes then placed the roaster on the stove and brought the liquid up to a boil. I reduced the liquid by 1/2 and removed the veggies. I mixed up some cornstarch with cold milk and added to the liquid, and boiled until slightly thickend for a creamy sauce.

wow.. delicious! and--it's all cooked in one pan.

Old 03-10-2008, 12:03 PM   #2
Sous Chef

hey this sounds great and easy and fast. Do you think it would work well with chicken pieces instead of a whole chicken? What kind of roasting pan did you use to go from oven to stovetop.. Corningware? Cast Iron?

Old 03-10-2008, 12:10 PM   #3
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanchoHambre View Post
hey this sounds great and easy and fast. Do you think it would work well with chicken pieces instead of a whole chicken? What kind of roasting pan did you use to go from oven to stovetop.. Corningware? Cast Iron?

Pieces would be OK, but the top of the chicken isn't going to brown over. You could pre-brown the chicken or just live with the non-brown chicken skin(or remove the skin after cooking).

I used an enamel ware steel roaster. One of the dark blue ones with the speckles on it.. It's about 3" deep, oval shape and a domed lid. It's a great pan I picked up at a flea market for $1.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:28 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Maybe I will try it with a quick browing before I stick it in the oven.

I love putting those flea market finds to use creating a good meal.

Tags
None