Braised Duck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChefRuby

Cook
2261242866_85b929cbfe_o.jpg
(1) Marinade
Under medium power, heat oil and stir in 1 tbsp all purpose flour; add 6 tbsp brown sugar, 6 tbsp dark soy sauce, 1 tsp salt and blend them well. Shut down power, blend in 1/2 tbsp sesame oil, let cool to room temperature before use.
Cut off leg and wings; separate breast from back.
Rinse and dry with paper towel.
Rub duck with marinade prepared above and let sit in the fridge overnight.

(2) Braise
Heat under medium power, in a hot empty sauce pot, add duck with skin side down, brown duck.
2260449857_13779bfd89_o.jpg

Add 3 cup water and two star anises, bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook for 30 minutes.
Remove oil layer with small size sieve.
Turn duck skin side down and condense sauce under medium power.
Transfer duck to cutting board.
Let duck stand for about 5 minutes so that it can be cool enough to handle.
Cut duck into slices and serve with warm sauce.

2261242616_4e57e7b1a8_o.jpg

Looks real good, but the last time i tried duck it turned out real greasy from all the fat. How did you avoid that?

I never bake duck, because my friends all tell me that their kitchen has very bad smell and strong smoke after baking duck. That results from the fat.

I like brown duck without adding any oil, just brown it with its own fat. Then clean the pot first to remove excess fat before adding water.

After 30 minutes' braising, most of fat can be extracted, which forms a fat layer. It can be removed with a small size sieve. Yesterday, I removed about 1/3 cup clear liquid fat, really large amount. In this way, the condensed sauce obtained in the end is not greasy any more.

ChefRuby, I would hug you right now if I could. This is exactly the kind of duck recipe I've been looking for. Thank you!

wow, chefruby, that looks awesome.

and you're quite right about stinky duck fat and baking/broiling in the house.

i may just give a duck another go. thanks! :chef:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom