"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-20-2012, 11:05 AM   #11
Master Chef
 
jennyema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston
Posts: 9,253
Chickens and turkeys are bred that way here by the factory farmers. Their breasts are so large that they cant walk properly, if they are allowed to walk at all.

If you buy totally non factory birds, like heirloom or heritage turkeys, you will be very surprised at their proportions.
__________________

__________________
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:08 AM   #12
Half Baked
 
4meandthem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bay Area California
Posts: 2,018
YES! We Americans like big breasts!
__________________

__________________
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:33 AM   #13
Executive Chef
 
Bolas De Fraile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
Bonio darling I don't need any padding. I love a good stuffing though. Obsessed with it!

So, the chickens are bred to be bigger, not many buy free range then? It can be quite a snobby thing here "oh I ONLY eat free range catholic presbyterian chickens who have been treated well and raised on Cruise Liners".

Nah, I just want a big plump one!!
A castrated Rooster is what you need. My Dad would chop a few every month, this has two benefits.

1 they cock a doodle do like Maria Callas.
2 They grow quickly to the size of small Turkeys.

The down side was for little jimmy our prize cock when Dad put him in with the flock he got rather confused

Queen we British Stuff a lot as you know, in fact that is why we live in Great Britain. The Great in Great Britain was put there because we stuffed all sorts of nation and called them our own. Our ex colonial serfs do not call it stuffing because they dont tend to stuff, the cook the stuffing in a tray and refer to it as dressing. I like stuffing and dressing in no particular order.
__________________
I was married by a judge, I should have asked for a jury.
Bolas De Fraile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:44 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,871
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
A castrated Rooster is what you need. My Dad would chop a few every month, this has two benefits.

1 they cock a doodle do like Maria Callas.
2 They grow quickly to the size of small Turkeys.

The down side was for little jimmy our prize cock when Dad put him in with the flock he got rather confused

Queen we British Stuff a lot as you know, in fact that is why we live in Great Britain. The Great in Great Britain was put there because we stuffed all sorts of nation and called them our own. Our ex colonial serfs do not call it stuffing because they dont tend to stuff, the cook the stuffing in a tray and refer to it as dressing. I like stuffing and dressing in no particular order.
I'm very fond of capon. Not only are they big, they are more juicy and tender than chickens.

Where I live, most people don't know about them, so they get sold as "big chickens". Maybe that is happening in parts of the US too.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:55 AM   #15
Head Chef
 
GLC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Near Austin, Texas
Posts: 1,216
The size of many chicken breasts in the U.S. today borders on the freakish. It's a matter of breeding and feeding. A chicken bred to become enormous in the allowed 40 days is not going to be a very flavorful chicken, and while it had been designed to have large muscles, they are not very developed muscles. That has all sorts of results. And, while growth hormones may be out, dosing water with salts increases weight and therefore profit. You can do an awful lot to a chicken for the sake of weight, when you only have to keep the chicken alive for six weeks. Do you not find that these chickens give off annoying amounts of water during cooking? They are big chickens, but not good chickens. There is some hope that the trend toward local products may increase the availability of real chickens.

When you read the legal histories of large chicken producers, like Tyson, it's clear that they are dedicated to working every possible angle to circumvent the spirit of even the corporate-friendly food laws.
__________________
"Kitchen duty is awarded only to those of manifest excellence..." - The Master, Dogen
GLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:42 PM   #16
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLC View Post
Do you not find that these chickens give off annoying amounts of water during cooking?
I found these giant breasts to be really juicy, but when cooking (slow smoking for an hour and then grilling them) they gave off very little water.
__________________
I'm Bloggin'

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:59 PM   #17
Executive Chef
 
Rocklobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
whole roasted chicken seems to be something that not many people here in the US do much of anymore. Which is kind of a shame.
You are right. I brought a few chickens, quarterd and did them up on the bbq for a party and some of the people didn't seem to know how to eat them. Some of the teenagers and young adults seemed awkward.(I don't think it was how they were cooked, I got compliments from a few other people) I think most of the chicken people eat now just require a fork or they eat it in between a burger bun...
__________________
Rocklobster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:33 PM   #18
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: here
Posts: 3,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLC View Post
The size of many chicken breasts in the U.S. today borders on the freakish. It's a matter of breeding and feeding. A chicken bred to become enormous in the allowed 40 days is not going to be a very flavorful chicken, and while it had been designed to have large muscles, they are not very developed muscles. That has all sorts of results. And, while growth hormones may be out, dosing water with salts increases weight and therefore profit. You can do an awful lot to a chicken for the sake of weight, when you only have to keep the chicken alive for six weeks. Do you not find that these chickens give off annoying amounts of water during cooking? They are big chickens, but not good chickens. There is some hope that the trend toward local products may increase the availability of real chickens.

When you read the legal histories of large chicken producers, like Tyson, it's clear that they are dedicated to working every possible angle to circumvent the spirit of even the corporate-friendly food laws.
I agree with this and the other comments along the same line. Chicken breast meat is the most expensive chicken cut and the more producers can make the more they profit. They're breeding and feeding them for large breasts, and slaughtering them later to get this result.

IMO breast meat is the least flavorful and driest part of the chicken. Most often I buy thighs or leg quarters, and even when buying skinless boneless I buy thigh meat, not breast meat.

I guess most Americans don't agree with me regarding their favorite chicken meat.
__________________
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:54 PM   #19
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA,Florida
Posts: 2,409
These large breasts freak me out, sometimes. I usually cook just one for my husband and me. If I am making chicken parm I cut one in half and pound the 2 pieces to the thinness needed. Works for me.
__________________
I can resist anything, but temptation. Oscar Wilde
lyndalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:24 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,017
I am with Greg. I do not like white meat. Chicken or turkey. Dry and no flavor. Give me the chicken of my youth. Two chickens in the oven for Sunday dinner for six folks. Lots of flavor and enough juices to make a reasonable amount of gravy for everyone.

Now don't get me started on skinless parts. YUK!!!
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.