Breasts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I roast a whole chicken about every two weeks. When I buy breasts separately I have gotten some rather large ones. One could almost feed 3 of us (with sides). I do prefer dark meat like Greg and Addie!

I admit I am a breast man myself. Chickens. Yes, i notice the chix breasts have been getting bigger. I used to cook two, one for leftovers, but now I often have part of the first one as a remainder too. More lunch for tomorrow.

I like turkey dark meat better. I guess that means I like longer legs and bigger breasts.

Does anyone remember when you could get packages of cut up chickens and they were " 3 breasted" or " 3 legged" birds? How did they grow 'em like that:LOL:

Here is an article in the Wall Street Journal published this week, April 16.

Dark Meat Getting a Leg Up On Boring Boneless Breast

Last edited by a moderator:
If your breast meat is dry, your doing something wrong.
IMO breast meat is inherently drier, less juicy, less flavorful than thigh meat. Yes of course you can cook it less and partly remedy that. However I find that it's not uncommon at all for restaurants to over cook chicken, like for example pasta with bite sized chicken pieces. It's gotten to the point where I'm reluctant to order such dishes.

I note in the article, Chipotle was cited as buying dark exclusively because of more flavor. (A little surprising, though. Chipotle so grossly overstuffs burritos that one flavor has little chance.) But fajitas are never breasts, always thighs.

I suppose the logical result of this will be chickens who look like Popeye. Scrawny chests and bulbous limbs. At least the free range ones will have a better chance. They're going to be hard to catch.
polls_running_chicken_4833_807485_answer_4_xlarge.jpeg

That's a depressing article! The new demand for dark meat is driving the prices up! In order to be really economical, we'll all have to buy whole chickens on sale and deconstruct them at home.

if treated right, big breasts can be a wonderful thing, although, i'm a medium to small breast man, myself. chickens and wimmen, respectively. :cool:

i love to pound out a huge breast, tenderizing it in that way, then make thick chicken cutlets for chicken parm so that you primarily taste the chicken, not just breading, sauce, and cheese.

even better are halved breasts in a cacciatore or paella. the dryness of the white meat kinda sucks in the sauce or surrounding flavours.

a big rack, or fun bags, cans, hooters, or sweater puppies on chicken isn't such a bad thing. it just takes attention to detail.

Bonio darling I don't need any padding. I love a good stuffing though. Obsessed with it!

So, the chickens are bred to be bigger, not many buy free range then? It can be quite a snobby thing here "oh I ONLY eat free range catholic presbyterian chickens who have been treated well and raised on Cruise Liners".

Nah, I just want a big plump one!!

I'm so glad I was done eating when I read this post. There would have been eggplant parm all over!

Most of the time the problem with the huge over grown chickens is they are rather tasteless. I prefer a nice free range chicken, tastes so much better. We have a Hutterite community near here who sell their chickens and they are the best. And their turkeys are fantastic!

Thanks for the laugh!

I suspect that anybody who has tried free range chicken would know it tastes better than cage chicken. I would buy free range all the time if not for the price, and also depending on the recipe sometimes the sauces and other tastes overwhelm the chicken and the full taste of free range might not be so evident.

Does anyone remember when you could get packages of cut up chickens and they were " 3 breasted" or " 3 legged" birds? How did they grow 'em like that?

Another cup of coffee on the screen. :ROFLMAO:

Bonio darling I don't need any padding. I love a good stuffing though. Obsessed with it!

So, the chickens are bred to be bigger, not many buy free range then? It can be quite a snobby thing here "oh I ONLY eat free range catholic presbyterian chickens who have been treated well and raised on Cruise Liners".

Nah, I just want a big plump one!!

:ROFLMAO: + 1 on your humor

Some years ago we went to visit some friends who were renting a small farm. We brought along 2 packages of chicken parts to contribute towards dinner. The wife was really pregnant, not too energetic and it was a hot summer day . No air conditioning at their house, and we thought we would be grilling chicken. Dumb as we were, we forgot to bring along any charcoal ! When it came time to make dinner, she pulled two cast iron fry pans out and slapped the chickens in and closed the oven door. No seasoned flour, not even salt and pepper. Sat out on the porch while dinner cooked. Later, us guys went out to the cornfield and brought in an armload of fresh young field corn ( the kind you feed to your livestock). Dinner time rolls around. The chicken came out of the oven brown and the skin was crispy and the melted fat in the pans was soon turned into gravy. The chicken tasted like Chicken. It was the best chicken and mashed taters and gravy and corn I think I ever ate.

I've often cooked a whole chicken with no treatment other than washing it off and throwing it on a rack in a preheated oven. It always comes out good.

Only recently have I become interested in country gravy and haven't tried it on a chicken roast yet.

Americans are, by and large, white meat eaters. More boneless skinless chicken breasts are sold than any other part. Big breasts are a selling point.:angel:

I think that they might be using Breast of Oven Stuffer Roasters opposed to skinny Frying Chickens. When they (OSR) used to be cheap on sale I used to only buy them and use them for all of my recipes. I would cut the breast into 4 good size servings.:chef:

American chickens tend to be larger in part because the American poultry industry is allowed to feed the birds large amounts of growth hormones in order to cut the time from egg to market. Free range organic tend to be smaller and tastier.

Dahling Grunfuttock you have solved a mystery, we returned to our cabin (lovely balcony ) I was very very drunk to find what I thought was a croissant on the bed, my wife thought it was a crab:ohmy: but now I think its a chicken?
Croatian Dreams :: 2006_1019yorkshiredales0010.mp4 video by Hvar2010 - Photobucket

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom