"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 04-21-2012, 08:40 AM   #41
Head Chef

Okay. Don't believe idle statements on the Internet.

No steroid hormone of any kind is approved for use in chicken or pork in the U.S., and no one is interested in using them, anyway.

(Beef is a different story.)

Growth hormone in chicken is a very persistent myth, for some easily understood reasons. One is that medical societies and even WHO made ignorant pleas to stop their use when they weren't being used at all. Another is that, because the falsehood was appearing so frequently, some companies started advertising that they used no hormones, and that made some people believe the other growers must be using them. (Do you still beat your wife?)

Growth hormones are proteins. They can't be ingested and do anything, because they will be digested. They must be injected, and even that doesn't work in young chickens. They tried it. They injected chickens three times a day for the first 24 days and had pretty much no effect.* You've seen that with athletes. It's always a story of a trainer injecting the player, never of pills. Had it been pills, many would not have been discovered. Want to try injecting several thousand chickens at least once a day?

And growth hormones are simply not useful in chickens. Chickens have a short cycle from birth to reproductive age, so you can selectively breed very quickly. They're only alive for 40 days or so before slaughter. In a chicken already bred for rapid growth, an effective dose of growth hormone would just kill a lot of them and might well introduce behavioral problems into an already difficult environment. It's been way too easy to bulk up chickens by feeding, nutrient supplements, breeding, and limiting activity. It hasn't produced a tastier chicken - quite the opposite - but it's produced a bigger chicken.

It would really dumb to put all you're eggs in the growth hormone basket when you can just breed strains for the traits you want and go on reproducing them forever for no further cost.

* W.H. BURKE, J.A. MOORE, J.R. OGEZ and S.E. BUILDER
- Author Affiliations

Department of Poultry Science, University of Georgia (W.H.B.) Athens, Georgia 30602
Genentech, Inc. (J.A.M., J.R.O., S.E.B.) South San Francisco, CA 94080

"Within 60 min after sc injection of rcGH (480960 μg/kg) in chickens, plasma GH levels increased 4- to 6-fold and remained significantly elevated for at least 5 h. Thrice-daily injections from age 224 days had little effect on growth or feed consumption in either male or female broiler chicks. Plasma levels of insulin and triglycerides were significantly elevated by rcGH in 24-day-old females, but not in males. Injection of rcGH counteracted a reduction of tibia length observed in saline-injected controls. The rcGH had no effect on carcass protein, ash content, or nitrogen retention.

"It is important to note that exogenous GH can be a productivity- enhancing factor in other commercially important species. Administration of bovine GH to cows has been shown to induce a significant increase in milk production (28). This study shows that administration Of rcGH to chickens can lead to some significant metabolic effects. However, it is the conclusion of this report that the level of circulating GH is not the limiting factor in the growth of this highly selected species." (Endocrinology 120: 651658,1987)

(rcGH is recombinant chicken growth hormone.)

In another study, an elaborate continuous IV setup only succeeded in adding some body fat.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:18 PM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
I've often cooked a whole chicken with no treatment other than washing it off and throwing it on a rack in a preheated oven. It always comes out good.

Only recently have I become interested in country gravy and haven't tried it on a chicken roast yet.
My son put a seven pounder roaster in the oven at 425 the other night. He fell asleep. Two and a half hors later he woke up and expected to find the bird burnt to a blackened crisp. Surprisingly, the bird was done to perfection. Even the breast was nice and moist. The skin was golden brown and crispy. And the pop up thingy was popping out of itself. Best chichen he ever made.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:22 PM   #43
Master Chef

Oh, big breasts ...
Kosher chickens here are pretty small here. So I totally understand it.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:28 PM   #44
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
My son put a seven pounder roaster in the oven at 425 the other night. He fell asleep. Two and a half hors later he woke up and expected to find the bird burnt to a blackened crisp. Surprisingly, the bird was done to perfection. Even the breast was nice and moist. The skin was golden brown and crispy. And the pop up thingy was popping out of itself. Best chichen he ever made.
Yesterday's mistake becomes tomorrow's best recipe!
Old 04-25-2012, 07:11 AM   #45
Head Chef

I am making Chicken Kiev today, managed to get hold of some fairly big breasts for a change!

Exciting!
Old 04-25-2012, 01:33 PM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post
American chickens tend to be larger in part because the American poultry industry is allowed to feed the birds large amounts of growth hormones in order to cut the time from egg to market. Free range organic tend to be smaller and tastier.
This is not true. Poultry producers do not feed growth hormones, there are no approved growth hormones for poultry or pork in North America. KFC recently got "busted" on a Canadian show for advertising that KFC served only hormone-free chicken. What has happened in the poultry industry is a higher demand for dark meat, and the development of meat breeds that mature at a faster rate so they get to market sooner.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:07 PM   #47
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
I am making Chicken Kiev today, managed to get hold of some fairly big breasts for a change!

Exciting!
Love chicken Kiev, if done right it is very delightfull.
Just don't overcook it.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:37 PM   #48
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post

Exciting!
I'm so thrilled for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
... What has happened in the poultry industry is a higher demand for dark meat, and the development of meat breeds that mature at a faster rate so they get to market sooner.
I thought most people wanted white meat. What gives?
Old 04-25-2012, 09:45 PM   #49
Half Baked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
That's a depressing article! The new demand for dark meat is driving the prices up! In order to be really economical, we'll all have to buy whole chickens on sale and deconstruct them at home.
That's what i do most of the time. .79 cents a lb for foster farms and I can bust one down in about a minute. I save the bones or cooked carcasses in empty milk cartons and add my veggie trimmings to the cartons. 2 or 3 cartons will make a nice stock. I am sure you know that that though! I am just saying I still do that. I keep my food costs as low as I can so I splurge when I want to.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:40 AM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
I'm so thrilled for you!

I thought most people wanted white meat. What gives?
People are getting tired of being told tasteless food is the way to go. We all know "Fat = Taste and Flavor." I am sure your Kiev was delicious. But you have to admit, all the flavor was in the fillng. Not the meat. Wouldn't it have tasted so much better if you have used the meat from a deboned chicken thigh? There is also a ton of flavor in the skin. Deboning the leg and thigh on a chicken is so easy. This week in my area, chicken quarters are on sale for $.69 per pound. My son is going to be picking up a large package for both of us. We both have some bread that needs to be turned into large crumbs. Make some stuffing with it, lay the meat from the thigh out flat and pound it to your needed thickness. Place a layer of the stuffing, roll, toothpick, and bake. You now have a flavorful meal.

With four full quarters, broken down to legs and thighs and deboned, I will have eight meals. And they will be tasty.

I won't even consider a meal with the chicken breasts. My daughter makes broccoli and chicken with penne. She doesn't even offer to send me a plate. I love the broccoli and penne, but the chicken breasts turn me off completely.

I recently purchased two large 2" bone in pork chops for stuffing. I told the butcher to leave the layer of fat on the outside. I stuffed them, rolled them in seasoned flour, and baked them. They were so moist. You don't have to eat the fat. but you need it there to flavor the meat when cooking.

Lamb has a somewhat strong flavor. With the fat on, the flavor is more intense. Just leave the fat on the meat when cooking. Leave it on your plate when eating.

Who in their right mind would cook liver without the bacon? What do a lot of cooks lay across the top of their meatloaf? Bacon. I am not saying we have to clog our arteries with fat, but if you want flavor with your meat, then it is a necessary component. And the public is getting wise to this fact.

Tags
None