Breasts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not sure what they do the older egg laying birds when they are done.

After a year (or sometimes two, depending on the breed), commercial egg-layers, which really aren't good meat bird breeds (they're pretty scrawny meat-wise) are sold to processors of both soup/stock companies (Swanson's, Campbells', etc.) & pet food.

After a year (or sometimes two, depending on the breed), commercial egg-layers, which really aren't good meat bird breeds (they're pretty scrawny meat-wise) are sold to processors of both soup/stock companies (Swanson's, Campbells', etc.) & pet food.

For some reason that just doesn't sit well with me.
Old, worn bird meat in soups....:ermm: lol. Oh well
guess I've eaten too much of it to worry about it now!:LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
or they are sold as boiling fowl, these fowl are prized in Jewish household for the production of soup.The classic Coq au vin uses an old knackered cock or if you cant get a cock bacardi a boiling fowl is just as good.

It's full of flavour, especially compared to young birds.

Last edited by a moderator:
It take time for flavor to develop in an animal's flesh. The chicken we buy in the markets in the US are barely a couple of months old. The faster they reach selling weight, the more money for the producer.

On the other hand, if you keep a chicken around for longer as an egg layer, it matures and its flesh develops flavor. On the other hand, the meat becomes tougher.

Traditionally, it's these older tougher birds that go into stews and soups. Long slow stewing or braising that deals with the toughness while you benefit from their flavor.

Cross-my-heart-honest Jusnikki, "old worn bird meat" is absolutely PERFECT for soups, poultry stock, & stews. That's exactly what they were used for back when everyone raised some chickens out back, & today as well, now that raising chickens is making a serious comeback. The difference in flavor from making chicken soup from a young broiler/fryer & an old stewing hen or cockerel is amazing.

I didn't realize that about older meat. So it marinates as ages huh?? LOL
Learn something new everyday....

Addie said:
I'm sorry, but I fail to see the humor in this clip. I think it borders on cruelty. And it goes to show just how dumb some chickens or roosters can be. It kept coming back for more. :huh:

::shrug:: the bird keeps coming back, so she obviously isn't hurting him. Maybe he likes the feeling of flying- the way he comes running back reminds me of a kid who just got thrown into the pool running back yelling, "Do it again! Do it again!" lol

At least couple times a year I make sure to get old chicken, or as they are calle din the store Soup Chicken, sounds much better, the flavor of that soup is so much better.

At least couple times a year I make sure to get old chicken, or as they are calle din the store Soup Chicken, sounds much better, the flavor of that soup is so much better.

That's unusual. Around here, only one or two local market farms offer stewing hens. And at least one organic egg farmer sells old layers with some egg production left as ultimate stewers. Cheap, but you have to do your own slaughter.

All this talk about "breasts" made me hungry for Chicken Kiev. I defrosted some chicken, gosh, last Thursday, cut the breasts of with the little bone, what is that bone called, the rest went into the soup. But only last night I was able to make the CK, thank G-d my refrigerator is almost as cold as a freezer. The whole family shared two pieces, thank G-d they were big enough. Because everybody wanted more. I served it with what I call "young potato" on a side and a tomato/cucumber salad. I take young potato, new crop, wash them really well, do not need to be pilled, cut in quarters, or smaller, I like bite size dice. Boil till ready, drain dredge with margarine (butter), sprinkle with grated garlic and chopped fresh dill. No amounts you can add as much or as little as you like. Sorry no picks, I was cooking on a fly had to finish before kids came from school, and they immediately devoured the whole thing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom