"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 04-26-2012, 10:11 AM   #51
Head Chef

Do you know Addie, thats a great idea with the chicken thighs I might just do a kiev experiment with them. I love chicken thighs. We can buy them ready de-boned.

Actually my kievs were a little on the huge size, with my greediness for the bigger breast, possibly a bit too big. Eyes bigger than belly.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:05 AM   #52
Executive Chef

Wink @ GQ: Chef Jaime Olivier´s Mediterranean Cookbook

Gravy Queen,

I truly like Chef Jaime Oliver´s Mediterranean Cookbook on Italian, Greek, Spanish, Turkish & Moroccan. Lovely lovely book of recipes and photos. I had received it as a gift in 2011.

Do you know it ?

I am also writing to mention, I love Chicken Kiev ! This is a to die for, and go to heaven dish ...

I have never prepared it, however, I have had it at the Russian Tearoom in Manhattan many times over the years.

Kind regards.
Margi.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:07 AM   #53
Head Chef

Hi Margi, yes I love Jamie, I have his "Jamie Does" cookbook, which includes Spain, Greek, Morocco etc. One of the first dishes I cooked from it was Mechoui Lamb, its divine!
Old 04-27-2012, 04:47 AM   #54
Executive Chef

Gravy Queen,

GOOD MORNING.

I shall definitely take a look on Saturday at your suggestion in Jaime Olivers Mediterranean cookbk. of the lamb dish. Sounds very interesting.

I am going to prepare the spinach lasagne that Charlie D. had posted. I am in editorial deadline through 30th and off all next week, so I like to have lasagne, so all I have to do is heat up a nice square ... and be done with it for my own lunches ... a quick rocket salad and vinaigrette ...

And the Shepherds Bread Broth with Pecorino Sardo Rind from Kadesma ... I make my Mothers Broth, the name of the recipe: Il Brodo di Mi Madre; HOWEVER, in reality it is my grandmoms recipe === It is still chilly in Madrid.

We have bank holidays next week, it is actually Labor Day 1st and 2nd ...

Thanks for suggesting.
Have nice wkend.
Margi.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:50 PM   #55
Senior Cook

All of the arguments re: "growth hormones, antibiotics" aside, if you're buying separate chicken parts - like "skin-on bone-in" chicken breasts, they come from "roasters" that weren't pristine enough in appearance to be sold as whole "roasters". In fact, that's where all separate "chicken parts" come from - birds that are bruised, missing limbs, or otherwise unsuitable to be sold as whole birds, are taken apart & sold as parts or relegated to ground chicken. This is why you'll sometimes buy a package of "whole cut up chicken" & find an extra leg or breast. This ain't all coming from the same chicken.

You won't normally find "small" boneless, skinless chicken breasts, because the breasts from rejected "whole" smaller birds aren't worth the effort & are relegated to the "ground chicken" brigade.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:58 PM   #56
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
All of the arguments re: "growth hormones, antibiotics" aside, if you're buying separate chicken parts - like "skin-on bone-in" chicken breasts, they come from "roasters" that weren't pristine enough in appearance to be sold as whole "roasters". In fact, that's where all separate "chicken parts" come from - birds that are bruised, missing limbs, or otherwise unsuitable to be sold as whole birds, are taken apart & sold as parts or relegated to ground chicken. This is why you'll sometimes buy a package of "whole cut up chicken" & find an extra leg or breast. This ain't all coming from the same chicken.

You won't normally find "small" boneless, skinless chicken breasts, because the breasts from rejected "whole" smaller birds aren't worth the effort & are relegated to the "ground chicken" brigade.
I find it hard to believe the chicken industry relys on non-pristine chickens to provide all it's need for cut up chicken.

I don't doubt some of the cut up parts are from damaged but viable birds. However I'd bet a healthy percentage are just chickens that are cut up to meet demand. Considering parts are much more expensive than whole birds, this just isn't an issue.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:16 PM   #57
Master Chef

Not sure about "pristine..." or not so "pristine..." chickens, but in fact most "chickens" that we do buy today are in fact roosters. If you get a whole "chicken" and are careful when taking it apart you will sometimes, albeit not very often will find male parts that were not completely taken out during processing.

On the separate note, when making Chicken Kiev one doesn’t really needs a big breast, but what you do need is a whole chicken. To prepare it properly, according to the original recipe, the breast has to come with the small bone (the part of the wing, not sure what it is called) and then pounded meat flat and wraps the butter inside. This is not very common practice outside of Kiev, I do not know why. I will try to include picture here, I always have problems with pictures though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1005-3.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	13582  
Old 04-27-2012, 02:21 PM   #58
Master Chef

Here is the link to a russian site if you care to look at the short video and some pictures, you do not have to understand russian, it is self explanatory:

: , , , , , | -

Hm, looks weird, but click on it, it will work.

P.S. For those artistically inclined, you can cut up pretty napkin holder wrap around the bone and then serve, that is how it was done in restaurants in Kiev.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:46 PM   #59
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post

That seems entirely speculative to me. What I see in the markets is mostly chicken parts, ground chicken, and whole chickens as the least of all. Your explanation seems to imply that more often than not chickens are damaged and have been "parted out" because their appearance is too poor to be sold whole.

Rather, I think there's an entirely different explanation. Most home cooks prefer chicken parts over whole chickens. They either don't want to cook a whole chicken, they're cooking something that is suited for all breasts, all thighs, etc., or they're intimidated by dismantling a chicken themselves.

My explanation is much simpler than assuming most chickens are too damaged to be sold whole.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:19 PM   #60
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
That seems entirely speculative to me. What I see in the markets is mostly chicken parts, ground chicken, and whole chickens as the least of all. Your explanation seems to imply that more often than not chickens are damaged and have been "parted out" because their appearance is too poor to be sold whole.

Rather, I think there's an entirely different explanation. Most home cooks prefer chicken parts over whole chickens. They either don't want to cook a whole chicken, they're cooking something that is suited for all breasts, all thighs, etc., or they're intimidated by dismantling a chicken themselves.

My explanation is much simpler than assuming most chickens are too damaged to be sold whole.
I agree wholeheartedly... or maybe wholebreastedly.

Tags
None