"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 04-27-2012, 04:39 PM   #61
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I agree wholeheartedly... or maybe wholebreastedly.
+1

I can cut up a chicken with the best of them. But the difference between buying a whole chicken or cut up parts is pennies. I will spend the extra pennies for cut up parts over a whole chicken, when I only want certain parts to begin with.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:17 PM   #62
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I find it hard to believe the chicken industry relys on non-pristine chickens to provide all it's need for cut up chicken.

I don't doubt some of the cut up parts are from damaged but viable birds. However I'd bet a healthy percentage are just chickens that are cut up to meet demand. Considering parts are much more expensive than whole birds, this just isn't an issue.
As offensive as some of their methods are, I cannot believe that meat chicken production doesn't produce extremely consistent chickens which, regardless of their relative culinary value, aren't as uniform and secured from bad effects as is engineeringly possible. In other words, if they were raising that many bad birds, they'd reengineer to do better. Extra parts is more likely the result of trying to make up packages of about the same weight, as well as orphaned parts resulting from butchering mistakes.

Chicken growout operation is strictly a massive volume business. I doubt very much that a significantly injured chicken is deemed worth of further feeding. Sick and injured chickens are not supposed to become meat for human consumption. I don't doubt that some are discovered late in the process and become "mechanically separated meat" or parts. But I think that if injuries were that common and were being left in the food line, we'd find more broken bones in our food chickens that weren't detected.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:33 PM   #63
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLC View Post
Chicken growout operation is strictly a massive volume business.
Some of my friends raise chickens, to avoid the massive chickens raised in industrial methods. The organic farm my son just went to stay (intern) at, only has a few hundred meat chickens (versus egg layers). I would love to raise some here and I'm not sure my neighborhood would allow it (acre lots).

Quote:
I don't doubt that some are discovered late in the process and become "mechanically separated meat" or parts. But I think that if injuries were that common and were being left in the food line, we'd find more broken bones in our food chickens that weren't detected.
I agree with you here very much. I have seen bruised turkeys and in the past 20 years maybe one broken bone on a chicken.

But if we begin with mechanically separated meat or parts then we start to walk down the same path as 'pink slime', and the controversy with that.

A few months before my son left for his chicken adventure, I taught him how to cut up a whole chicken into pieces. It was fun to work with him, he seemed to understand how the chicken came apart, joint by joint and then how to cut the breasts into smaller serving pieces. I heard he was butchering chickens last week--awesome--something I've never done. I hope when he comes back he will teach me that.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:06 AM   #64
Executive Chef

Breasts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
Bonio darling I don't need any padding. I love a good stuffing though. Obsessed with it!
hey groovey!!
any particular preference on which cavity? & i presume that a gal like you likes plenty of meat!
personally i prefer to spit roast my birds,need to find a big one if you are going to share with a friend tho'.............
love the avatar gravy but i've gotta say i did prefer you in spandex.....our children will be beautiful!!
hairy cobnut
Old 04-30-2012, 02:15 AM   #65
Executive Chef

Good Morning Bro I am glad you could join us.All is well here although the back passage flooded after you left.

Thanks for the visit and as always the pleasure was all yours
Old 04-30-2012, 02:36 AM   #66
Executive Chef

hey big bro'
back passage flooded eh? it's an age thing matey!
once again the pleasure was all mine but at 1.41 per looter it's rapidly becoming a guilty one
will bring over my slow cooker & a chunk of brisket and we'll knock out a cheats bbq beef next time i come a callin'
love to madge
harry
Old 04-30-2012, 10:35 AM   #67
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
I've often cooked a whole chicken with no treatment other than washing it off and throwing it on a rack in a preheated oven. It always comes out good.

Only recently have I become interested in country gravy and haven't tried it on a chicken roast yet.
I hit on a pretty good combination Sunday. I had a five-pound package of drumsticks I got cheap. I guess it had about 14 drumsticks. I just tossed them in olive oil and salt and laid them out on a backing sheet in a 450F oven for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Also had cut up carrots, celery and an onion in an other pan in with it, also tossed with oil.

The chicken was perfectly browned and tender. We had two drumsticks for lunch and saved two for night. Put the rest in with the vegetables and two gallons of water with a handful of sage, parsley and thyme and boiled for four hours. Served the two drumsticks with rice cooked in the stock and some of the carrots from the stock put. (The carrots stayed firm and still had reasonable flavor at the end.)

So I got most of two meals and two gallons of good stock to freeze in bags for maybe $7 and very little effort.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:38 AM   #68
Certified Pretend Chef

Doesn't it make you feel good when you can get a couple of meals and all that stock for a few bucks?
Old 05-01-2012, 04:01 AM   #69
Chef Extraordinaire

Thought this might interest all of you. We already knew it.

Prices go thigh-high as consumers seek dark meat | US National Headlines | Comcast

Old 05-01-2012, 05:01 AM   #70
Chef Extraordinaire

Chicken quarters have been on sale for the past couple of weeks. My preferred butcher sells them by the bag full. I think I will be picking up a bag full and bone them myself. Not difficult at all. I wil leave the skin on.

I only eat one per meal. So if I pick up a bag of ten quarters, that is twenty meals for me. Time to get out the food saver.

Tags
None