"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 04-20-2012, 10:00 AM   #1
Head Chef

Breasts

Ah. Now I have your attention.

I am fascinated by how big chicken portions seem to be in the States. I have the Food Network channel and like to catch up with different chefs on there. I've seen Rachel Ray, Tyler Florence, oooh and someone who grills meat, Bobby Flay? I love Barefoot Contessa the best though.
Anyway I digress.

The breasts are huge! The chickens must be massive !!! Is this the case and why ?

I hate a scrawny chicken. Give me big plump bird anytime but they are quite hard to find here especially if you want organic or free range, which cost the earth.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:09 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Americans are, by and large, white meat eaters. More boneless skinless chicken breasts are sold than any other part. Big breasts are a selling point.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:16 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I bought two bone-in chicken breast halves for dinner last night. They were possibly the largest that I have ever bought. There were 2 in the package and the package was 4 POUNDS! They looked like they were more from a small turkey!

Free range, organic chickens are usually smaller or more "normal" size here. When buying chickens whole, they are usually around 4 pounds, although we have larger birds that are marketed as "oven stuffer" that can be on average 7-8 pounds.

I would love to see how big this chicken was that we ate last night!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:26 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Gravy Queen,

Hilarious post !

Yes, I have to say chickens seem alot larger in the USA than in Spain or Italy.

@ Andy: are large breasts really a selling point ? ! In the 21st Millennium, breasts can be any size you order !!

Ha ha ha ...

Have a nice wkend.
Margi. Cintrano.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:31 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Darling small breasts are a let down but I'm sure you know a bit of padding works wondersClick image for larger version

Name:	garden & BBQ 512.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	13534 clic on pic to make the breasts bigger
Old 04-20-2012, 10:36 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I'm sure they have been breeding for large birds here, but I suspect there is probably some growth hormone involved. That would explain why the organic ones are smaller.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:40 AM   #7
Head Chef

Bonio darling I don't need any padding. I love a good stuffing though. Obsessed with it!

So, the chickens are bred to be bigger, not many buy free range then? It can be quite a snobby thing here "oh I ONLY eat free range catholic presbyterian chickens who have been treated well and raised on Cruise Liners".

Nah, I just want a big plump one!!
Old 04-20-2012, 10:43 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Gravy Queen,

You certainly have all the Members checking out your post !!! See, all it takes is a body part or hedonistic expression ... ha ha ha

Tax Lady,

Yes, I am in agreement --- Spanish organic chickens, called Coral, are quite a bit smaller ...

Bolas,

Thanks for the visuals !

Have a nice wkend.

Margi.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:02 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
Darling small breasts are a let down but I'm sure you know a bit of padding works wondersAttachment 13534 clic on pic to make the breasts bigger

- chicken breast augmentation?
Old 04-20-2012, 11:05 AM   #10
Wine Guy

I actually did some research on this awhile back because I wondered the same thing. I'm generally untrusting of the corporate food industry, so I just assumed that chickens were given growth hormones or something scary was added to the feed. Turns out it isn't anything like that. Growth hormones for chicken are illegal here, just like they are in most places (antibiotics are a different story, however).

There are two factors that cause the larger breasts: genetics and age. Like Andy said, most people in this country have been conditioned over time to believe that fat is bad, so we've become a nation of white meat eaters. The poultry industry has responded by breeding chickens that tend to be "top-heavy". Also, US chickens go to market an average of two weeks later than in other parts of the world.

As for organic or free-range chickens having smaller breasts, sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. Some farms raise so-called "heritage breeds" that are smaller and more like chickens were when I was a kid. Others raise the same bland-tasting big breasted birds used by food biggies Purdue and Tyson.

Though I like chicken, I don't eat a lot of it because the free-range antibiotic-free (and maybe Presbyterian ;)) farm chickens I prefer cost almost four times what the standard supermarket birds cost. But they have a lot more flavor, or at least I think so. Even the breast meat is meatier. We buy 8-10 whole roaster chickens a year and freeze them. About half of them I'll cut up into smaller portions. The rest we roast whole. Whole roasted chicken seems to be something that not many people here in the US do much of anymore. Which is kind of a shame.

Tags
None