Breezy Spicy Mexican Turkey Meatloaf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BreezyCooking

Washing Up
I LOVE experimenting with meatloaf recipes. Have tried & saved a gazillion of them. And when the local markets have a sale on 3# packages of ground turkey, that's a sign from heaven to me that it's time to try something new - lol!! So last night I threw this one together, & it turned out so well that my dear husband, who normally just has a slice or two, went back for 2 helpings & insisted I add this to my regular meatloaf lineup. Served it with some fresh green beans topped with butter & stewed tomatoes.

Breezy Spicy Mexican Turkey Meatloaf

3 pounds ground turkey
2 medium onions, peeled & chopped
1 red (or orange or yellow) bell pepper, seeded & chopped
1 large jalapeno pepper, seeded & chopped
2 “Chipotle Peppers in Adobe Sauce”, chopped, + one tablespoon of sauce*
2 large eggs
1 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs (like Progresso brand)
Approx. 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
Approx. 1 tablespoon dried oregano
Approx. ½ tablespoon dried smoked Chipotle chili powder
1 pound extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated**
Extra-virgin olive oil

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly oil an 8 x 13 loaf pan (or terrine, 2 smaller loaf pans, or a baking sheet for a freeform loaf***).

Saute onions, bell & jalapeno peppers in a few dollops of olive oil until just softened. Add chopped Chipotles & sauce. Set aside to cool a bit.

In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs thoroughly with a fork. Add ground turkey, bread crumbs, garlic, oregano, chili powder, grated cheese, & cooled sautéed vegetables. Mix lightly but thoroughly with hands until ingredients are combined.

Press into loaf pan, smooth top, & bake for approx. 1 hour or until the center of the loaf registers 175-180 on an instant-read thermometer or the center of the loaf is no longer pink. (Don’t worry about the top getting too brown – that’s normal due to the high cheese content.) Remove from oven & allow to rest for 10 minutes. Slice & serve as is, or topped with a spoonful or two of your favorite salsa.

* Any leftover Chipotle peppers & sauce can be stored in the fridge or freezer & added to chili, tacos, enchiladas, or any other favorite Mexican recipe.

** This is not the time to break out your pricey crumbly aged cheddar. This is the time for the innocuous inexpensive 1# block of supermarket stuff – lol!!

*** I made this in a lovely imported Williams Sonoma pottery loaf pan that’s my “go to” pan for large meat loaves. However, you can also make this in 2 smaller loaf pans, or make a freeform loaf on a baking sheet.

Back
Top Bottom