"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 10-03-2011, 09:20 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Brining and smoking a turkey

Ok, I know that brining has probably been covered before and I even found a recipe a few posts back. I'm hoping to get some feedback from tried-and-true recipes for this kind of thing. What I can bring to the table:

I'll probably be working with an injected turkey from the supermarket (Kroger). It will be about 15ish pounds. It will probably be injected, but I have no idea of what with, or how much. If I brine I'll keep it to about an hour or 2.

1 C kosher salt/gal of brine
1/2-1C sugar/gal of brine

I am still trying to get a cook time on this. The link below looks like people are really happy with it:

Barbecue Turkey: The Ultimate Smoked Turkey Recipe

I'll probably leave the cavity of the bird hollow to cook it faster.

4ish hours @ 325F for a turkey sounds like it would barely brown, yet alone cook to 160-175. Any ideas on this?

Other advice would be amazing! Thanks!

Old 10-03-2011, 09:33 PM   #2
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Poultry does not benefit from the traditional smoking mantra of low and slow. 4 hours in a 325 / 350 degree smoker is probably about right

Beef and pork are generally smoked at much lower temperature for much longer periods of time. Doing this to a turkey would just dry it out.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:36 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Yeah, the info I've been reading on it says that the connective tissue in the meat is different, and not as fatty as that of a pork shoulder. I'm just thinking back when Grandma made turkeys. They took all friggin' day! Could that have been the stuffing?
Old 10-03-2011, 10:41 PM   #4
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

The stuffing and an oven @ 250 degrees.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:10 AM   #5
Half Baked

i have smoked turkeys low and slow in a brinkman style smoker and had great results with a nice pink ring. Turkey is probably my favorite thing to do on this type of smoker. Don't forget to throw some potatoes,carrots,onions,celry or what ever in the cooking liquid.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:23 AM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by inchrisin View Post
Ok, I know that brining has probably been covered before and I even found a recipe a few posts back. I'm hoping to get some feedback from tried-and-true recipes for this kind of thing. What I can bring to the table:

I'll probably be working with an injected turkey from the supermarket (Kroger). It will be about 15ish pounds. It will probably be injected, but I have no idea of what with, or how much. If I brine I'll keep it to about an hour or 2.

1 C kosher salt/gal of brine
1/2-1C sugar/gal of brine

I am still trying to get a cook time on this. The link below looks like people are really happy with it:

Barbecue Turkey: The Ultimate Smoked Turkey Recipe

I'll probably leave the cavity of the bird hollow to cook it faster.

4ish hours @ 325F for a turkey sounds like it would barely brown, yet alone cook to 160-175. Any ideas on this?

Other advice would be amazing! Thanks!

I dont like brining an injected bird.

Dont even bother brining if you are only going to do it for an hour or so. It wont work.

Id either skip the brineing of an injected bird or find a natural one and brine it.

Depending on the size of the bird, most turkeys will be completely cooked, if not overcooked, after 4 hours at 325. DO NOT OVERCOOK POULTRY.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:46 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Brining usually is done using a bird that does not have anything injected. Another method would be to do this 24 hours in advance--again a bird that does not have anything injected is recommended. Loosen the skin along the breast and thighs. Take 2 T of kosher salt and massage it into the meat between the skin. Prick the fat pockets by the neck and the thighs about 5 times. Rub the inside with 1 T of Kosher salt. Rub the outside (front and back with more salt). Cover with plastic wrap and refridgerate it for 24 hours. The next day, pat the bird on the outside with paper towels. Prepare your stuffing and take a piece of cheesecloth to line the cavity. Put a couple of cups of stuffing in the cheesecloth, tie it. Put it in the roaster breastside down. Take some salt pork, slice it, rinse it, pat it dry, and lay this across the back. This will self-baste the bird. When the breast is about 130, flip the bird (remove the salt pork) and the cheesecloth. Return to a hot oven (about 400) and cook until the breast is 160, the thighs 175. Let rest 30 minutes. While it is resting, you can prepare the stuffing (adding the stuffing that is in the cheesecloth back to the reserved stuffing, bake about 15 minutes in a greased baking dish). Make your gravy. I can't remember the temperature for the stuffing, but I think it is around 150-160 as well.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:16 PM   #8
Cook

Also, brining decreases the cook time of a turkey. So that might be why it only takes four hours. Last year, my turkey (which I brined) cooked in like three hours, it was about 12-14 pounds.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:14 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60
The stuffing and an oven @ 250 degrees.
Not to mention the fact that the turkey must have weighed close to 30 pounds!!
:). He he!
Old 10-06-2011, 09:19 AM   #10
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
Not to mention the fact that the turkey must have weighed close to 30 pounds!!
:). He he!
True, some of the turkeys my Great grandmother cooked were bigger than some of the younger cousins.

Tags
brine, dry rub, recipe, whole turkey, turkey

Brining and smoking a turkey Ok, I know that brining has probably been covered before and I even found a recipe a few posts back. I'm hoping to get some feedback from tried-and-true recipes for this kind of thing. What I can bring to the table: I'll probably be working with an injected turkey from the supermarket (Kroger). It will be about 15ish pounds. It will probably be injected, but I have no idea of what with, or how much. If I brine I'll keep it to about an hour or 2. 1 C kosher salt/gal of brine 1/2-1C sugar/gal of brine I am still trying to get a cook time on this. The link below looks like people are really happy with it: [url=http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/chicken_turkey_duck/ultimate_smoked_turkey.html]Barbecue Turkey: The Ultimate Smoked Turkey Recipe[/url] I'll probably leave the cavity of the bird hollow to cook it faster. 4ish hours @ 325F for a turkey sounds like it would barely brown, yet alone cook to 160-175. Any ideas on this? Other advice would be amazing! Thanks! 3 stars 1 reviews