Brining Beer Can Chicken?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alix I am not really sure. My thoughts are that brining has nothing to do with Koshering a bird. My mother on the other hand things that I am wrong.

The reason I do not think brining has anything to do with it is this. The reason salt is used in the koshering process is to draw all the blood out of the meat. It is against the kosher laws to ingest blood so this is very important. Pouring dry salt over the meat will draw the liquid out. Brining does the opposite. It draws liquid into the meat.

OK now that I am typing this I am starting to wonder, perhaps both my mother and I are both right. kosher chickens are juicy and saltier than non-kosher chickens. Perhaps they first salt it dry to draw out the blood and then brine them to replace the lost moisture? I am thinking that is probably very likely. So maybe the answer is that it is not done to make the bird kosher, but to make a kosher bird more tasty?

In a recent edition of Cook's Illustrated, they had a recipe for roasted picnic chicken that was not brined but rather seasoned with a salty rub mixture applied under the skin and then left overnight in the fridge. They claim that this has the same effect as brining.

My coworker brought in some chicken made from that recipe today. It tastes fabulous, but is not as juicy, IMO, as brined chicken.

Last edited:
Oh boy! I jes' love these discussions. I began brining poultry and pork after discussing it with cjs and trying it. I love the flavors I can infuse and how juicy the things are.

And for those of us who may have a drink or two while cooking and tend to forget to pull the meat off the heat in time, brining is a little insurance policy that even if you overcook the meat it will not be all dried out :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom