"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 12-06-2004, 07:39 AM   #11
Master Chef

To inject, simply cook up your broth with the herb and spice flavors added. When cooked, let cool slightly. The result should be just a bit on the salty side. Strain the broth through a fine wire mesh sieve. You can purchase turkey injectors at most places like Wal-Mart, or K-Mart, maby super-markets, etc. They are basically a big syringe with extra holes. And like a rifle, or knife, or chainsaw, or even a hammer, they are as safe as the person using them. I used to have several medical grade syringes around the house as they were necessary for placing liquid solder flux to just the right spot when soldering microciruits to circuit boards. Of course they had covers for the needles and were fiilled with liquid solder flux. They were also kept in a locked tool box reserved for electronics repair. I had to have them for my job. Never had a mishap with any of them.

Anyway, fill the injector syringe with the strained broth and just stick the thing into the bird. Slowly inject a bit of broth into several places to assure that the flavor will be evenly distributed throughout the bird. I even inject the thighs and drumsticks. Then let sit for about an hour or so in the fridge. Rub butter over the skin, sprinkle with some salt, put on a rack and place in a 450 degree oven for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to about 350 and roast for approximately 15 minutes per pound. I like to use an in-the-meat style thermometer to assure temperature.

One other note. The last few times I used my thermometer, the turkey came out undercooked. I purchased a new thermometer and found that the old one was reading 20 degrees to hot. Make sure to check your thermometer accuracy every now and again.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 11:39 AM   #12
Master Chef

Lifter,

I have used small amounts of my own habarnero vinegar in my brine many times with fabulous results. Maybe 1T to a gallon of water.

Also, for a whole chicken or turkey I never leave the cavity empty, but rather stuff with chopped aromatics, and herbs. This Tgiving I added chopped apples, and some pieces of old bread that I soaked overnight in white wine. That helps make sure it doesn't dry out from the inside and adds great falvor. I don't put stuffing that I serve in the bird, but it's ok to if you make sure it comes to 165 degrees, either inside the bird or in a baking dish.

It is quite true that very acidic marinades will actually toughen meat. I think this is particularly true with poultry and shellfish. I have posted this article by Shirley Corriher several times; it's worth a read to understand the science behind marinating: http://www.taunton.com/finecooking/pages/c00157.asp

I have also posted a few articles about umami. Umami, specifically, is considered your fifth taste sensation, described as savory. It's conveyed by different foods, but primarily glutimates. MSG is one way to add umami, but naturally fermented foods like soy sauce, fish sauce, parmesan cheese, miso, etc. also add it. Subbing soy sauce for salt in things like salad dressing, soups, stews, marinades, etc. are a good way to heighten the savory flavor of food. It's a little known professional chef's trick.

Soy sauce in your brine mixture adds some umami. Sugar does not, but does work to enhance the savory flavor of the brine by cutting the harshness of the salt. Sort of like adding a pinch of sugar to a vinaigrette to cut the acid.

Here's a few links to umami:

http://www.familyhaven.com/health/umami.html
http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ult...s/T/Taste.html

You can google umami for tons more info.

Old 12-08-2004, 08:04 PM   #13

Thanks Jennyma!

I was on the road a few days and "puzzling through this" issue...

I can use any acid on beef, for instance, and really tenderise it...your post is making things "clearer"!

Again, my thanks!

Lifter
Old 12-09-2004, 01:58 PM   #14
Everymom

Thanks from me too jennyema! I could not for the life of me find that reference.

Lifter, I have never injected my birds. I am satisfied with the moisture level from my brining. Sorry I can't comment on that bit, but Goodweed has done an excellent job I see.
Old 12-11-2004, 01:19 PM   #15
Head Chef

Absolutely fascinating thread, boys and girls! I really appreciated reading through and learning more from all of you -- THANK YOU!!!

Learning about brining here has made the single, most profound impact on my cooking ever, I think. Indeed, little things mean a lot!!!

I appreciate you adding a twist to the thoughts with this one, Lifter!

Tags
None