Brining Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suziquzie

Chef Extraordinaire
I promise, in advance, not to brine at 70 degrees for 2 days, thus avoiding starting the brined turkey debate of '08, summer version.
OK!
Maybe this should go in cookware....
The only thing we have big enough that will fit in the fridge is a stainless steel stockpot..... can I safely brine for a day in that without a reaction?
Stainless is non-reactive, correct? YT where are ya?...

IMHO Stainless steel is just fine in which to brine. Can we put that to music??
Cin

I brine mine in a ss stockpot - it will be just fine - and please, we can't take another great debate like that one! :ohmy:

SS is non-reactive for as long as you want. I made corned beef in a SS stockpot once. It was in there for 10 days or so.

I use the same thing...but when I needed to brine two turkeys, rather than spend another tidy sum on a pot, I bought a rubbermaid bucket. No worries.

My other thought was just to use our cooler... but it's overkill this time.
For our wedding "reception" we marinated 50 lbs of pork ribs in a giant cooler for a day and a half. use ice instead of water and froze the pineapple juice we used in the marinade.
Man those were some good ribs.....

Those ginormous ziplocks are great because they take up less room in the fridge than a big pot.
Those make me nervous for brining though just because I would be scared they would open up of pop a leak or something.

Those make me nervous for brining though just because I would be scared they would open up of pop a leak or something.

If I have something really big like a turkey I do put them in a cooler usually.

But otherwise if you push all the air out they seem very stable. You could double-bag them, too, if you wanted. Pushing the air out really compacts them so you need less brine and they take up less room.

A broken bag would really not be good, with that being said, I use the giant size ziplock too - wrapped in another bag - those things are so big I could sleep in it!

Suzi, you are in MN right? What is the temperature outside? I generally put my turkey in a SS stockpot and set it out on my deck in the fall. If I put it next to the house it doesn't freeze and thaws out quite nicely because of the salt in the brine. If its too warm outside that won't work for you, but I suspect you are likely in the safe zone. (Just make sure if you have a dog you tie down the lid to your stockpot...trust me...thats REALLY important!)

Vera, Rubbermaid bucket? Like one of those square jobbies with the lid? That sounds like the perfect plan. Why didn't I think of that before????

Suzi, you are in MN right? What is the temperature outside? I generally put my turkey in a SS stockpot and set it out on my deck in the fall. If I put it next to the house it doesn't freeze and thaws out quite nicely because of the salt in the brine. If its too warm outside that won't work for you, but I suspect you are likely in the safe zone. (Just make sure if you have a dog you tie down the lid to your stockpot...trust me...thats REALLY important!)

Vera, Rubbermaid bucket? Like one of those square jobbies with the lid? That sounds like the perfect plan. Why didn't I think of that before????

you got it!

so... how long would you brine a 9 pound turkey...( will be stuffed)
and what liquid would you use?? Just salt water?

use whatever you want!
Did an expensive one once with dark beer....
The last one (the one I started this thread about) was saltwater, oranges, and stuff I found in the spice cabinet.
:)
I'd say at least 6 hours. 24 is ok too.
I'm not helpful...

so... how long would you brine a 9 pound turkey...( will be stuffed)
and what liquid would you use?? Just salt water?

Overnight in the stockpot. 1/4 cup of coarse salt and 1/4 cup brown sugar to a gallon or so of water. (Sorry I think in liters, you might need 1/2 cup of each for a gallon.)

Thanks Alix and Suzi!!

Think I'll do the brown sugar since it will taste better with the stuffing... I think. lol!!

If it gets any colder, brining outside would give me a huge chunk of turkey-stuffed ice!

LMAO! Thats why you put it next to the house. The heat from your walls keeps the stockpot just above freezing and well within "safe range". LOL!!!

Just how cold IS it there? Its above zero here celcius...um...its...40F I think right now.

Back
Top Bottom