"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Old 01-04-2005, 11:07 AM   #11
Executive Chef
We've had this thread before.

Never re-use brines. Boiling reduces the effectiveness of the brine.

Brines usually aren't that expensive, so trying to save a few pennies is not worth making yourself or someone else sick.

Raine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 11:56 AM   #12
Assistant Cook
There are safety guidelines for reusing brines which I know from when I had a small business smoking fish and meats and saving a few pennies meant the difference between a profit and a loss. I will give in on this one though as homes rarely meet the strict health guidelines that businesses need to and things that I take for granted and do out of habit are not necessarily the rule elsewhere.

De gustibus non est disputandum!
Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 12:34 PM   #13
Executive Chef
Do you have a link or documentation to support that? We have a large numbers of friends who cook/smoke that brine. A good number also make their living cooking, and none of them have ever endorsed re-using brine.

Raine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 06:44 PM   #14
wow... so much info in such a short time... this is why I like this board :)

Just as a note... it didnt turn out like I wanted it too... almost no flavor at all. The meat was not as dry, didnt do anything for flavor. Perhaps it didnt soak long enough (1:30 and 45 min... )

At least it came out done and I can say I did it... it was also the first time cooking chicken for me period. So its a double victory :)

The brine was not that great... I think I added too much rosemary, but thats ok.

Thanks for all the input everyone... Im soaking it all in :)
will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 10:18 PM   #15
Head Chef
Hi Will!

Alton Brown waxes poetic about brining so I'm surprised at the outcome of your experiment. I pulled out his book "I'm Just Here For The Food" and voila, found your problem. He recommends brining for AT LEAST 8 hours and up to 48!

Here's his recipe that's good for all kinds of poultry and pork, best on pork loin and pork chops:

1 quart vegetable stock, chilled
1/2 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 tsp black peppercorns
2 bay leaves
1 quart orange juice, chilled
2 quarts ice water

Medium stock pot
2 gallon plastic bucket
Paper towels

In a pot bring 2 cups of the stock, the salt, brown sugar, peppercorns, and bay leaves just to a boil. Stir to dissolve sugar and salt. Add remaining stock, orange juice, and 2 quarts ice water, and pour into a 2-gallon bucket. When mixture has cooled to below 40 degrees F, add the meat in a cool place (to maintain sub-40 temp). Let it brine for at least 8 hours and up to 48. Remove the meat from the brine, pat dry with paper towels, and cook as desired.

Good luck on your next try!

'Never eat more than you can lift.' - Miss Piggy
Chopstix is offline   Reply With Quote