Brining the turkey (salt ratios)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xkalifornian

Assistant Cook
Hello,

I have a 17.5lb turkey and have added 1 cup of sea salt to 2 gallons of water, broth and seasonings. I'm concerned that 1 cup of salt will over power the taste of the bird. Am I worried about nothing or is this a possibility? Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Thanks

Yikes, thats a lot of salt, you need to put some sugar in there too. I'd dump out about 4 cups of that solution and then put in 4 cups of water that you dissolve about 1/2 cup of sugar in. Good luck! Hope it turns out well for you.

That's the amount I use from the Good Eats brine recipe.

1 cup of salt
1/2 C brown sugar
1 gallon of vegetable broth and
1 gallon of water
Allspice berries
peppercorns
Candied Ginger

Brine overnight and rinse the turkey inside and out. Pat dry and roast.

I think in liters not gallons but I thought that gallons were about 2 liters each. My recipe is 1/4 cup each of salt and sugar per 3 liters. I was trying to scale in my head, so I think I might have oopsed in my calculations. I'll go Google. (Should have done that first perhaps!)

Right Andy, I'm using the Good Eats brine recipe as well. It just seemed to be an awful lot of salt.
Alix, a gallon is quite a bit more than a liter.

So I guess the consensus is I'm alright?

I have been using this recipe for years. Saltiness is never a problem. Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

How did your turkey turn out? My turkeys are always amazing and this year was the first year that I brined it and I was not impressed what so ever. I am no sure if it was the actual turkey or the brine though. It was as if the turkey was tasteless.

a7anooonah,

I followed the recipe and the turkey had very good flavor and was the most tender and moist turkey I've ever eaten.

Regards, Mark

Thanks Andy. I'm thinking of excuses to make turkey now to my family. We will ring in the new year with a New Year's day turkey feast!

Happy New Year to all!

We had beef, but the turkeys were on sale, so picked up one for New Years. Would have liked to picked up a few more, but cash is low since dog had an emergency visit to vet right before Christmas. He's feeling better, eating expensive, natural, allergy formula dog food that cost more per pound than the turkeys...

Ahh I am so glad that your turkeys turned out great. I felt like I was eating imaginary meat, lol. Wy so gald your dog is feeling better thats more important then any turkey :)

Right Andy, I'm using the Good Eats brine recipe as well. It just seemed to be an awful lot of salt.
Alix, a gallon is quite a bit more than a liter.

So I guess the consensus is I'm alright?

Oops, missed this! If you look at the discussion btwn Andy and I we were trying to determine how many liters in a gallon. I thought 2, Andy clarified it is closer to 4. So that meant your ratios AND mine were right. LOL. Just thinking in different systems. So glad your turkey was tasty. I convinced my MIL to try brining for the first time and this year her turkey was the best I've tasted there. YAY for brining.

Back
Top Bottom