Buckytom's Galleto Glassato-TNT-Rec.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
i took some ideas from a lidia recipe for cornish game hens, and adopted it for a roaster chicken. it's very simple, and very tasty.

BUCKYTOM'S GALLETO GLASSATO

ingredients:

1 - 7 to 8 lb. roasting chicken
sea salt, fresh cracked black pepper, and sweet paprika
1 - 5" sprig of fresh rosemary
8 - 5" sprigs of fresh thyme
4 - fresh sage leaves
1 - lime
4 - tbsps honey
4 - tbsps balsamic vinegar
2 - cups light and fat free chicken stock

thoroughly wash the bird inside and out, pat dry, and heavily s&p inside and out with sea salt, fresh cracked black pepper, and sweet paprika
next, stuff the boid with the sprig of rosemary, the sprigs of thyme, sage leaves, and a lime cut in half. try to distribute the herbs thru the cavity, and between the lime halves.

roast at 400 for 30 minutes on a raised rack in a pan, then another hour and a half at 350.

next, mix 4 tbsps of honey, and 4 tbsps of balsamic vinegar into 2 cups of light and fat free chicken stock, stirring to dissolve the honey.

baste chicken with stock mixture every 10 minutes until it's done, about another 45 minutes. i added a little water to the pan towards the end to help suck up the liquid for re-basting.

using the honey and balsamic, the skin attains an amazing mahogany hue, and becomes crisp and incredibly tasty.

Last edited:
Bucky,
looks wonderful and is next on my list of to try..Thanks for posting...

kadesma:)

This sounds really good. I know I have a whole chicken in the freezer. I will need to use it for this recipe. Thanks a bunch.

BT:

If I'm reading your recipe correctly, the total cooking time for this bird is approximately 2:45?

Mudbug, you gave them back?
Oh heavens, bucky's gonna be on the loose with water ballons again...????
Run for cover.:ROFLMAO:

kadesma

MudBug; Be careful with those ballons. They must be handled verry gently.
And BT, you know how I say that I can put together ingredients in my mind and taste them, well right now my mouth is watering profusely. I have to ask if you would use any type of flavored solution for injection into the meat. i can't use the pepper due to my wife's delicate palate (but oh would I love to). I'm thinking this would be incredible cooked on the Webber as well.

Wow! I am sudenly so hungry, and I have too much work to do at home to make this. But you can bet I'm copying it down for a more "relaxed" day when I can give it the time it deserves. And I would say that you should try this on a turkey as well. The flavors should compement each other nicely. Of course adjust the cooking time.

And rather than relying on time, I will still go by the thermometer to insure perfect temperature.

Bucky, thanks. And those womeon are still soaking in the hot tub. I think we should let them relax for a few days before our next assault.:ROFLMAO:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

yup, that's a good idea gw. let them start to think it's over, and WHAMMO!

mwahahahaha!!!!

getting back to cooking. i didn't use any liquid or flavoring in the meat. the herbs, lime, and honey-balsamic baste give it a nice flavor, but i'll think about an injected solution for next time. maybe some lime juice, and more of the same herbs finely chopped?
and you can leave out the pepper and paprika without much of a change.

andy, yes, it was approx 2hrs 45 mins. i thought it should have cooked quicker. i wiggled the legs at 2 hours, and they definitely weren't loose enough yet. even the little plastic thingie inserted in the breast didn't pop until 2 1/2 hours. i probably should have used a thermometer, but a big chicken is somewhat forgiving when it comes to done-ness, so i wasn't too worried.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom