Buttermilk Fried Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes I agree Addie, and I do hope Margi will have her succulent chicken very soon!:yum:

Bolero - ah yes I am a fly by the seat of my pants kinda gal. Fearless. (and a bit daft). :)

Yes I agree Addie, and I do hope Margi will have her succulent chicken very soon!:yum:

Bolero - ah yes I am a fly by the seat of my pants kinda gal. Fearless. (and a bit daft). :)

My kind of gal. Daft!!! Just like me. I love to do things to people that make them stop and think. Nothing that will hurt them, just make them think. Like sometimes I will be 'backing talkwards' and 'wixing the mords up' in the middle of a sentence. They get a look on their face that says, "Did I just hear right? Did she speak a foreign language. Or does she have a speech impediment? Should I ask her about it? If it is a speech impediment, will her feeliing be hurt? " So the end up saying nothing and walk away confused. It does give them something to think about for a while. :cool:

gravy queen, i really like the idea of partially frying, then baking to finish buttermilk fried chicken.

i've made southern fried chicken a few times and the trick seems to be cooking the big breasts first at a slightly lower temp because they take longer, then frying the smaller legs and thighs. again, it's all about the temp of the oil so as to have the chicken cook through without burning the coating.

but finishing everything in the oven together might be the way to go.

thanks for the tip. :chef:

@ Lemain,

Mercadona ... Yes, I am familiar with it as well as El Corte Ingles in Preciados, Carmen and Serrano of course.

So far; I have found that Buttermilk is made with 1 tablespoon fresh Lemon juice and 1/2 Cup Milk and 1/2 cup plain Yogurt or 1 cup Milk and 1 tblsp lemon juice ...

I am still researching ... I just looked at the product that you recommended as well ...

I shall have more time at the weekend to organise and sort all --- I appreciate all your assistance, suggestions and time.

Thanks again.
Have a lovely evening.
Margi. Cintrano.:)

Margi,

I place 1 Tablespoon of white vinegar into a measuring cup and fill it up with milk until it reaches one cup. Let it sit for five minutes. :)

King Arthur Dried Buttermilk

Good Afternoon Ladies & Gentlemen,

My older daughter Naia and her husband Daniel who reside six months of the year on the northern Florida coast, close to St. Augustine, have recommended a dried Buttermilk product from a company called King Arthur, which also produces flour products ...

She told me, that it is a good pair for my needs to make Gravy Queen´s Fried Chicken. They ordered it to be sent to them, and then, my older daughter shall Federal Express or DHL it to me ...

So, thanks again, and I shall let you know the results of my 1st Fried Chicken in Buttermilk.

Another alternative recommended by Merlot on D.C. and a friend on another Forum, was to combine:

White wine vinegar & Milk ...

So, I believe I am going to wait for these dried Buttermilk packets ...

Kindest Regards.
Margi. Cintrano.

@ Princess Fiona,

Yesterday it occured to me, why don´t we just call Naia ( my older daughter ) ... She is a Nutritional Biologist turned Pastry Baker !

I am going to experiment with the:

white vinegar with milk
the lemon with milk
the lemon, plain yogurt & milk

JUST TO SEE how 3 tiny pieces of chicken come out !

I shall let u all know the results ? !

Kindest.
Margi.

Whoopee! Shall look forward to the results. Dont forget to give your chicken a good overnight soaking in the buttermilk.

I used a mix of chicken thighs and drumsticks, fairly even in size. We don't really get big breasts here.............

I like to use thighs as they are juicy.

@ Addie,

Good Evening and thanks for your assistance. My problem as I had explained earlier is, there is NO buttermilk in Madrid Capital or the Iberian Peninsula for that matter ... They have never even heard of it ! Culturally it is a Southern USA product, similar to a sour milk used for sauces and breads ---

I am going to look at the websites, D.C. Members have sent me ... I might just have to Substitute here in Madrid Capital. I do not believe they have it in Italia either, however, I am still checking ... ( If I can make my own ricotta, perhaps, to make some ? ! Might be too complicated and time consuming. )

I shall keep all posted, as soon as I know, and I have many Chef contacts I am going to speak to later this week.

Kindest.
Margi.
I'm surprised. When I lived in Northern Germany, we drank buttermilk + lemonade or orange juice when it was hot in the summer. I can still recall the containers that looked like large yogurt containers. ...

@ Gravy Queen,

Thanks so much for all your interest and support. I shall let you know how it turns out. Naia should receive within 2 days ( Saturday Morning ). So, she will 48 hours - 2 day mail Via Air Special Handling ... so more or less Wednesday of next week ...

In meantime, I shall play with 1 breast, and do:

1 tblsp lemon + 1 cup milk

1 tblsp white vinegar + 1 cup milk

1 tblsp lemon + 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt + 1 cup milk

Let´s see ... one piece of chicken -- divided into three for a taste testing !!! The Greek Yogurt one could work --- perhaps not the same taste as King Arthur´s Dried Buttermilk; however, similarities ... Then, Merlot and a few others, recommended the Vinegar with Milk or the Lemon with Milk, and these were online !

SO, I shall play about until KING ARTHUR RINGS THE DOORBELL !!! I am sure Addie shall be pleased.

Margi.

I love buttermilk and use it for all kinds of things. I substitute water-downed greek yogurt with a bit of lime added when I'm out of buttermilk. For cooking, the powdered works, and, buttermilk freezes. I have 1 cup containers that I use to freeze it if I'm not going to use it all within a reasonable time. I am, however, inclined to drink it with freshly grated black pepper and grated lime zest on top...one of those Midwest things (drinking buttermilk).

Whoopee! Shall look forward to the results. Dont forget to give your chicken a good overnight soaking in the buttermilk.

I used a mix of chicken thighs and drumsticks, fairly even in size. We don't really get big breasts here.............

I like to use thighs as they are juicy.
Tom mate how can we let this pass. I must say Quint old boy I do favour a juicy thigh.:yum:

Oh dear. We have one member that is goiing to spend the weekend playing with one breast. Another member is tellinig us how they don't get big breasts in the Midwest. So sorry to hear that. Perhaps the member that is going to be playing with one breast, can give you some help. :ohmy:;)

I am not responsible for coffee on the screens.

Last edited:
@ Addie,

Thanks for the humorous side of things ... I had been thinking that " one member is really hedonistic and has a one track --- " ... and I am going to experiment with Subbing Buttermilk ! And to top it off, we have a male member who likes THIGHS !!!

Well, glad you have given us all a good laugh ...

Thanks for joining us today.

Margi.

Last edited:
@ Addie,

Thanks for the humorous side of things ... I had been thinking that " one member is really hedonistic and has a one track --- " ... and I am going to experiment with Subbing Buttermilk ! And to top it off, we have a male member who likes THIGHS !!!

Well, glad you have given us all a good laugh ...

Thanks for joining us today.

Margi.

:ohmy: :ROFLMAO:

Buttermilk Fried Chicken - recipe from Olive Magazine.

The chicken pieces were marinated overnight in buttermilk, which makes the chicken very soft.

It was then coated in a lovely mix of seasoned flour (I use Doves Farm gluten free flour), paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic salt and dried herbs - oregano and thyme.

The chicken was fried briefly then baked in the oven.

Really tasty and popular with the family.:yum:

Beautiful color and pic, GQ.

I usually use boneless skinless chicken breasts & bake, but I like the idea of partial frying & then baking to finish the dish.

I love buttermilk and/or ranch dressing over ice cold lettuce wedges, salad, etc.

If buttermilk is not readily available in your area, another way to go is dry buttermilk or ranch dressing mix (to add to the flour):

Hidden Valley - Salad Dressing & Salad Seasonings

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom