"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 04-19-2012, 09:46 AM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
@ Addie,

Good Evening and thanks for your assistance. My problem as I had explained earlier is, there is NO buttermilk in Madrid Capital or the Iberian Peninsula for that matter ... They have never even heard of it ! Culturally it is a Southern USA product, similar to a sour milk used for sauces and breads ---

I am going to look at the websites, D.C. Members have sent me ... I might just have to Substitute here in Madrid Capital. I do not believe they have it in Italia either, however, I am still checking ... ( If I can make my own ricotta, perhaps, to make some ? ! Might be too complicated and time consuming. )

I shall keep all posted, as soon as I know, and I have many Chef contacts I am going to speak to later this week.

Kindest.
Margi.
I'm surprised. When I lived in Northern Germany, we drank buttermilk + lemonade or orange juice when it was hot in the summer. I can still recall the containers that looked like large yogurt containers. ...

Old 04-19-2012, 10:06 AM   #32
Executive Chef

@ Gravy Queen,

Thanks so much for all your interest and support. I shall let you know how it turns out. Naia should receive within 2 days ( Saturday Morning ). So, she will 48 hours - 2 day mail Via Air Special Handling ... so more or less Wednesday of next week ...

In meantime, I shall play with 1 breast, and do:

1 tblsp lemon + 1 cup milk

1 tblsp white vinegar + 1 cup milk

1 tblsp lemon + 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt + 1 cup milk

Letīs see ... one piece of chicken -- divided into three for a taste testing !!! The Greek Yogurt one could work --- perhaps not the same taste as King Arthurīs Dried Buttermilk; however, similarities ... Then, Merlot and a few others, recommended the Vinegar with Milk or the Lemon with Milk, and these were online !

SO, I shall play about until KING ARTHUR RINGS THE DOORBELL !!! I am sure Addie shall be pleased.

Margi.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:42 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

I love buttermilk and use it for all kinds of things. I substitute water-downed greek yogurt with a bit of lime added when I'm out of buttermilk. For cooking, the powdered works, and, buttermilk freezes. I have 1 cup containers that I use to freeze it if I'm not going to use it all within a reasonable time. I am, however, inclined to drink it with freshly grated black pepper and grated lime zest on top...one of those Midwest things (drinking buttermilk).
Old 04-19-2012, 11:50 AM   #34
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
Whoopee! Shall look forward to the results. Dont forget to give your chicken a good overnight soaking in the buttermilk.

I used a mix of chicken thighs and drumsticks, fairly even in size. We don't really get big breasts here.............

I like to use thighs as they are juicy.
Tom mate how can we let this pass. I must say Quint old boy I do favour a juicy thigh.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:37 PM   #35
Executive Chef

CWS,

Greek yogurt water downed with lime for a Substitute ... Yes, this was on list further up the thread ...

Thanks again.
Margi.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:02 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Oh dear. We have one member that is goiing to spend the weekend playing with one breast. Another member is tellinig us how they don't get big breasts in the Midwest. So sorry to hear that. Perhaps the member that is going to be playing with one breast, can give you some help.

I am not responsible for coffee on the screens.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #37
Executive Chef

@ Addie,

Thanks for the humorous side of things ... I had been thinking that " one member is really hedonistic and has a one track --- " ... and I am going to experiment with Subbing Buttermilk ! And to top it off, we have a male member who likes THIGHS !!!

Well, glad you have given us all a good laugh ...

Thanks for joining us today.

Margi.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:42 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
@ Addie,

Thanks for the humorous side of things ... I had been thinking that " one member is really hedonistic and has a one track --- " ... and I am going to experiment with Subbing Buttermilk ! And to top it off, we have a male member who likes THIGHS !!!

Well, glad you have given us all a good laugh ...

Thanks for joining us today.

Margi.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:26 PM   #39
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
Buttermilk Fried Chicken - recipe from Olive Magazine.

The chicken pieces were marinated overnight in buttermilk, which makes the chicken very soft.

It was then coated in a lovely mix of seasoned flour (I use Doves Farm gluten free flour), paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic salt and dried herbs - oregano and thyme.

The chicken was fried briefly then baked in the oven.

Really tasty and popular with the family.
Beautiful color and pic, GQ.

I usually use boneless skinless chicken breasts & bake, but I like the idea of partial frying & then baking to finish the dish.

I love buttermilk and/or ranch dressing over ice cold lettuce wedges, salad, etc.

If buttermilk is not readily available in your area, another way to go is dry buttermilk or ranch dressing mix (to add to the flour):

Hidden Valley - Salad Dressing & Salad Seasonings
Old 04-19-2012, 09:52 PM   #40
Sous Chef

It looks very tasty, I will try the dish, thank you

radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buttermilk, chicken, spices