Buttermilk Fried Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
@ Cerise,

Interesting point, Ranch Dressing ... There is a Taste of America Supermarket in Madrid Capital, and they have Paul Newman´s Salad Dressings ...

I am going to taste test the Plain Greek Yogurt, Milk and Lemon one tomorrow ... and see if that works until I receive the King Arthur´s Dried Buttermilk Packet from my older daughter next Wednesday morning via Fed. Express or DHL.

The Ranch dressing can be interesting option perhaps ...

Thanks.
Margi.

I usually put the chicken in a zippie for 48 hours with a quart of buttermilk....but then, I've been waiting for the 4 trays of ice cubes to freeze so I can try buttermilk-avocado ice cream this weekend...I love buttermilk.

Another good buttermilk idea is to make Chicken Nuggets (this is a Nigella recipe). You use chicken fillets and cut them into strips/or chunks, soak them overnight in buttermilk. Then just coat them in bashed up Ritz crackers. Ritz crackers are nice little crispy salty crackers here and you can get a cheesey version. I suppose any savoury bashed up cracker will do.

The nuggets are better fried though, I tried the oven with them and they were dry. They cook fairly quick too so a quick fry wont hurt anyone. Really nice with a chillie type dip or hummus/tzaziki type dip.

Good luck with all your buttermilk experiments!

Gravy Queen,

Good afternoon once again.

Does Nigella have a website ? Is he or she a T.V. Chef ?

Thanks. Your Nuggets sound good too ...

I so rarely fry ... so, that is why I have never had buttermilk chicken ! And I have never lived in the south of the USA, except for holidays to South Miami Beach, where my parents had retired and bought a Condo on the beach.

So I am so curious to taste test your recipe !

Have nice wkend.

Margi.

Last edited:
Margi Cintrano said:
Gravy Queen,

Good afternoon once again.

Does Nigella have a website ? Is he or she a T.V. Chef ?

Thanks. Your Nuggets sound good too ...

I so rarely fry ... so, that is why I have never had buttermilk chicken ! And I have never lived in the south of the USA, except for holidays to South Miami Beach, where my parents had retired and bought a Condo on the beach.

So I am so curious to taste test your recipe !

Have nice wkend.

Margi.

Margi, Nigella Lawson is a British chef with shows on Food Network, along with cookbooks, etc. She has her own style,

Www.nigella.com/

Last edited:
Greek Yogurt, Milk & Lemon Juice Marinated Breasts

Gravy Train,

I had marinated a half of breast of chicken in each of 4 different marinades ...

1. The Greek Yogurt, milk and Lemon
2. The Greek Yogurt, milk & Lime
3. The white wine vinegar, Milk and Greek Yogurt
4. Ranch dressing by Paul Newman sprinkled with a variety of dried Mediterranean herbs ( basil, oregano, thyme, parsley & a pinch of freshly ground rose, black and green peppercorns )

At lunch time, I shall follow your directions --- as if these were marinated in Buttermilk ... Let us see ...

Today is Italian Day, so I shall be preparing my Grandmom´s Prawn Risotto which I posted in the Fish Section ...

Have nice wkend.
Margi. :chef::):yum:

Last edited:
Margi

Delighted to have you on board the Groovy Gravy Train !!:)

Wow you mean business don't you, what a fantastic selection you have chosen, I can't wait to hear/see the results!

Yes Nigella is a british cook, not professionally trained. She has a wide selection of tv programmes, I think the ones more aimed at the american market were Nigella Feasts and Nigella Express.

I will write up the Ritzy Chicken Nuggets recipe for you too just in case you would like to try. I don't fry stuff very often hence I did like the buttermilk chicken recipe finished in the oven. However, the Ritzy nuggets are nicer fried.

Have a fab weekend. :)

Chicken Breast from Drab to Fab !

Saturday 19.00 Hours.

Gravey Queen,

Good Evening. Firstly, out of the five experiments, without "Dried Buttermilk" from King Arthur, the tastiest in order are:

1st: 1/2 Greek Yogurt ( not Greek style), 1 tblsp. Lime Juice from fresh Lime and 3/4 cup regular milk. For us, it had a slight slight Tzaziki taste yet, with an undertone of fresh lime instead of the Feta cheese.

The 2nd: 1/2 cup Greek Yogurt, 1 tblsp. fresh Lemon Juice and 3/4 cup Milk. This was quite similar except it had the citròn aroma.

The 3rd: 1/4 Cup Paul Newman´s Ranch Dressing Bottled in glass jar from the Taste of America Shop, 1/2 cup Greek Yogurt to thicken and 1 tsp. of fresh Lemon Juice. Twangy is the best way to describe ... Yet, as this dressing is not home made, it has the taste of a bottled dressing which does not suit us too much.

4th: 1 tblsp. Balsamic White Vinegar and 1 cup of regular milk ... the texture is too thin.

5th: 1 cup regular milk, 1 tblsp. lemon juice, again the texture, no body.

Then, I had my Mediterranean calling, and sampled this recipe from an old magazine called Food & Wine:

1 cup finely chopped fresh fennel
1 tblsp. frods
3/4 cup Greek Yogurt
1 tsp. white Balsamic vinegar
1/4 tblps. chopped finely basil herb
1/4 tblsps. chopped finely parsley herb
1/4 tblsps. chopped finely oregano herb
1/4 tblsps. chopped finely mint herb
salt and black freshly ground pepper
1 egg white

I combined all with the electric mixer and then prepared Gravy Queen´s spiced flour preparation, marinated the chicken for a 1/2 hour and dredged very lightly the 2 chicken breasts that were pounded thin into the flour mixture, and sautéed in Evoo 2 mins. per side and then baked ... Aromatic and lovely ...

My oldest daughter Naia, called to say, she received the King Arthur and she had mailed it this morning via DHL which is a Federal Express 2 day service via airmail. So I shall have the Dried Buttermilk on Tuesday !!!

Have nice wkend.
Margi. Cintrano.

Last edited:
Oh, Margi! You have a whole new wonderful world about to open to you.

Not only will you enjoy the heavenly taste of buttermilk-fried chicken, but you can now partake of another delectable Southern staple...cornbread. There's nothin' better to have with a big bowl of chili or a bowl of white beans and ham. Yep!! That's good ole Southern cookin'!

Oh, Margi! You have a whole new wonderful world about to open to you.

Not only will you enjoy the heavenly taste of buttermilk-fried chicken, but you can now partake of another delectable Southern staple...cornbread. There's nothin' better to have with a big bowl of chili or a bowl of white beans and ham. Yep!! That's good ole Southern cookin'!
+1 I love buttermilk......

Polenta or Cornbread

@ CSW,

Good Morning.

Thanks for your reply to my dilemma with having to order Dried Buttermilk from King Arthur. Actually, this has been " out of curiousity " ... My palate is Mediterranean ... I try things out of curiousity ...

However, it is too complicated and the ingredients are NOT fresh, they are dried in packets ... So, a last time on this side of the Atlantic ... I would prefer to have Buttermilk Chicken in The UK or Germany or the USA or Canada, next time over in one of these countries.

I do not have much of a "sweet tooth", and prefer savoury, salty and Piquant Piquant over sweet ...

In ref to corn: In Italy, there is Polenta ... I prefer it savoury and very very firm, NOT like a porridge or mushy.

In ref to corn: In Spain, the only corn, feeds the horses, pigs, donkies and the goats ! There is no corn on the cob --- and the little that there is, is for the 4 hoofs !! or grown for frozen food industry ...

I can get corn flour to make corn bread, and I like it as a breakfast cake with my Espresso.

None the less, I prefer to have Mexican at: Todo a Mexico, an old friend´s restaurant than cook it at home --- I like Fajitas with Shrimp, corn flour tortillas, Guacamole, corn chips called Fritos and enchiladas filled with Mexican cheese.

I save the Tex Mex for vacations over to the USA ...

Have a nice Sunday.
Margi. Cintrano.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom