"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 10-19-2010, 11:45 AM   #11
Head Chef

Whole battery chickens here are .69-.89. Local range around $2.00, never frozen.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:53 AM   #12
Head Chef

Silly Old Bear--my mom, who was raised on home grown chicken, does not like it any more. She prefers storebought. Before you think about raising and killing your own, try a real chicken. You might not like them either.

I love wild game--pheasants, quail, grouse--and to me, real chicken tastes more like a wild bird. If you are not fond of stronger flavor and firmer texture, you will not like a chicken that spent its life running around and eating bugs and seeds.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:56 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

I'm the same way, snickerdoodle. I have made many a mess, trying to cut up a whole chicken. The one I cut up the other night ended up looking like some science experiment gone bad. But it still tasted good, and that is what hubby cares about. I could feed him something that looks like something the cat dragged in, as long as it tastes good. :)

The ones I got this weekend were not organic - they were free range. I think there has to be some specific guidelines for it to be organic. And I don't think they have to be free range to be organic. Someone else will probably know better.

I'm trying the leftover bird today in a pot for soup tonight. We'll see how that turns out. Right now it smells like heaven!

SOB
Old 10-19-2010, 12:01 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Sparrowgrass - that's what these were - real chickens! :) And I definitely like the flavor. But then I like wilder taste of venison over beef, too. (wait - unless it's a perfectly cooked beef ribeye - with fried onions.. and mushrooms.. ) Sorry -

My two issues are the firmness of the meat - which I can get by - but not sure about hubby yet. And the other is cost. At 3.50 lb, that's a fair bit higher than the fryers in the store.. Depending on the sale, I can get a 4 lb fryer for anywhere from 3.00 - 5.00. That's a huge difference in price. That's my biggest issue - money. I like getting back to seeing where my food comes from. I just wish it was cheaper!! haha!

SOB
Old 10-19-2010, 12:14 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyOldBear View Post
Sparrowgrass - that's what these were - real chickens! :) And I definitely like the flavor. But then I like wilder taste of venison over beef, too. (wait - unless it's a perfectly cooked beef ribeye - with fried onions.. and mushrooms.. ) Sorry -

My two issues are the firmness of the meat - which I can get by - but not sure about hubby yet. And the other is cost. At 3.50 lb, that's a fair bit higher than the fryers in the store.. Depending on the sale, I can get a 4 lb fryer for anywhere from 3.00 - 5.00. That's a huge difference in price. That's my biggest issue - money. I like getting back to seeing where my food comes from. I just wish it was cheaper!! haha!

SOB
Money is my issue too. But, the more people buy local, the cheaper it will get. I have been buying (some) organic food since they started certifying it. I have watched the prices come down and the variety increase. I think it's time for me to find some local farmers.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:32 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Money is my issue too. But, the more people buy local, the cheaper it will get. I have been buying (some) organic food since they started certifying it. I have watched the prices come down and the variety increase. I think it's time for me to find some local farmers.
The more people buy local, local farmers will have to increase production. In order to do that, they will have to have more efficient methods of raising larger quantities of chicken. The more that happens, the less the chickens will taste like they do today and more like what you get in the supermarket. It's already happened once...
Old 10-19-2010, 01:17 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
The more people buy local, local farmers will have to increase production. In order to do that, they will have to have more efficient methods of raising larger quantities of chicken. The more that happens, the less the chickens will taste like they do today and more like what you get in the supermarket. It's already happened once...
Or we'll need more farmers and farmland... I know - not so easy.

Question - you say it happened once - on what? Just curious. I hear that domestically raised deer taste less like their wild cousins. Is that what you are referring to? Again - just curious.

SOB
Old 10-19-2010, 01:26 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
The ones I got this weekend were not organic - they were free range. I think there has to be some specific guidelines for it to be organic. And I don't think they have to be free range to be organic. Someone else will probably know better.SOB
I'm fairly certain that one of the many requirements of being certified organic is that the chicken has to have access to pasture (aka free range) for x number of hours in a day... or something like that. I know that they don't have to be 100% free range in order to be certified organic though, which is contrary to what some people believe.

You could also ask some of your local farmers (at the farmer's market before they close for the season) about their chickens. Even though they might not be certified organic (it costs so much money to get it certified so many farmers can't afford it), their production standards may not be far off "certified" standards). You might get a better deal that way, not sure.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:46 PM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
...Question - you say it happened once - on what?...

Chicken.

Back in the old days chickens were raised as local farmers do today. Then as demand increased, local small farm methods couldn't keep up with demand. Eventually, that led to the large volume chicken raising methods in general use today.

The same is also true about all the major meats sold in the USA today - beef, pork, lamb, chicken, turkey, salmon, shrimp, etc.

While it's pleasing to think about local small farms producing all our foods in a manner that is like the "good old days", it's not practical when you have over 300 million people to feed every day. (Not counting foods we export to other countries.)
Old 10-19-2010, 01:54 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
You know, you are right. I hadn't thought of that. But, there are other ways to get economies of scale. We have a service/co-op here that gets consumers to sign up for a weekly or biweekly deliveries of local, organic produce for the growing season. It cuts out the retailer, guarantees a market, and cuts deliveries to once a week.

Tags
None