"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Old 06-19-2009, 06:46 AM   #21
Senior Cook
There are a couple of brands of southern-style frozen dumplings sold in the supermarkets (at least here in Florida). Mary Hill dumplings, made by the Dumplin Shopppe in Hazlehurst, GA, and Anne's Flat Dumplings made in Whiteville, NC. Both are excellent quality and are made specifically for use in southern-style chicken and dumplings.

"Im going to break one of the rules of the trade here. Im going to tell you some of the secrets of improvisation. Just remember its always a good idea to follow the directions exactly the first time you try a recipe. But from then on, youre on your own." - James Beard
FincaPerlitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 11:04 AM   #22
Master Chef
Those "boiled to death" veggies, if not to your liking in texture, can be thrown into the blender with a little stock and used to flavor and thicken the stock. Also, both sage and thyme are main ingredients in Poultry Seasoning blends. I personally prefer to season with discrete spices and herbs rather than comercial blends. Thant way, I can taylor the flavor to what I want, rather than someone else's idea of what's right.

IF you want a creamy batch of chicken and dumplings, make up the dish as you did, and remove the dumplings to a seperate bowls. Next, make a roux of flour and chicken fat, cooking to a very light brown, just to remove the raw flour flavor. Thin to a thick sauce with cream and chicken stock. Stir into the broth. If you want veggies in the soup, cook until done before adding the thickening sauce. A bit of turmerick will add flavor and color to your soup as well.

Veggies that compliment this soup are celriac (celery root), carrot, onion or leeks, garlic, bits of sun-dried tomato (very optional), celery, diced rutabegga, sweet peas.

Seasonings may include mushrooms, salt, pepper, red pepper, thyme, sage, basil (in very small amounts), garlic powder, fresh fennel root (again a little goes a long way), turmeric, Maggi, and chicken soup base.

Serve the soup in bowls and top with the dumplings.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 01:25 PM   #23
Master Chef
You know - I don't recall the brands, but I recently did see "southern-style" frozen dumplings at my local WalMart. May just have to try a bag & see what's what. Thanks for the reminder.
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 05:41 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
A day late and a dollar short BUT, here is my recipe. No, it's not the thick/yellow mixture...it's still good.

Chicken and Slippery Dumplings

I now add a bit of poultry seasoning to my dumpling mixture.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:56 AM   #25
Turn it into chicken/gnocchi soup!

1/3 cup butter
2 cloves minced garlic
package of chicken cutlets, cut into cubes
1/3 cup flour
1/2 package of baby carrots chopped
3 stalks celery chopped
1 medium yellow onion chopped
1 package frozen spinach
1 1/2 cup heavy cream1 tablespoon chicken base(chicken bouillon)

1 container of chicken stock
salt and pepper
dash of red pepper flakes

1 qt water(might need more to cover potatoes)
3 oz all-purpose flour
1 eggs
1 lbs russet potatoes
1 tsp salt

1. Melt butter
  2. add onions and sweat them out, then add garlic
  3. add chicken
  4. add flour to create a blond roux
  5. add everything else
  6. simmer for 3-4 hours
  7. add gnocchis and cook for another 5 minutes

1. Wash potatoes and place in water. Cook potatoes until soft (cook time will depend on size of potatoes). Remove potatoes from water and cool in refrigerator.
  2. Peel cooled potatoes and push them through a fine grater (rice grater) until mashed; do not over-mash potatoes or they will get tough.
  3. Combine potatoes, flour and eggs in a mixing bowl. Mix well until dough does not stick to hands (add small amounts of flour at a time).
  4. Divide dough into 4 sections. Roll out each section into a long rope. Cut each rope into ” pieces. Push fork tines on each piece for the classic gnocchi appearance.
  5. Bring water to a boil in a sauce pot. Drop in gnocchi and cook until they float.
fire34fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:24 AM   #26
Head Chef
That sounds pretty darn good. Never made, maybe never ate, a gnocchi.

Hey, could you just cook them in the soup?

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:56 AM   #27
Head Chef
I like to make gnocchi with home made ricotta. it's also good made with sweet potatoes.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:31 PM   #28
Head Chef
I cheat.. I really like Sweet Sue chicken and Dumplings....
Jeff G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 06:16 AM   #29
Assistant Cook
I start with chicken, celery stalks, an onion, salt, pepper and sage. Boil to make a rich stock and strain it and let the meat cool. Make dumplings with a cup of Bisquick with a cup self-rising flour and buttermilk to make a stiff dough, roll out to about a 1/4 in and cut into small squares - let stand til you get stock ready. Take stock, add peas and carrots to add some color and taste, boil for 15-20 minutes. With stock boiling add dumplings and let cook for 10-15 minutes, if the broth is not thick enough add some flour then coarsely chop chicken and add with a generous sprinkle of parsley - keep heat low enough to prevent scorching. I have made dumplings with cooled chicken stock instead of buttermilk but that adds time to your cooking however the dumplings do taste a lot better.
Alfredo deLorenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 06:25 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
I use Bisquick too, but use the recipe on the box which only involves adding milk. It makes a sticky dough that I drop by spoonsful on the top. 10 minutes covered and 10 minutes uncovered and you have airy drop biscuits and have added some thickening to the stew.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote