"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 06-14-2014, 11:02 AM   #31
Executive Chef

My first wife had a chicken and dumpling dish called "Popeye".

Basically the usual whole chicken braised and a special dumpling. The dumplings were like thick noodles. An inch or so wide and about 3/8ths inch thick.
I remember the dough had many eggs in it and the were very very good. But heavy.
Her family was from Michigan, so these were not southern at all.
I wish I could find this dumpling recipe again. Or find something close.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:01 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

RB, those sound like egg noodles: http://localfoods.about.com/od/basics/r/eggnoodles.htm

Old 06-14-2014, 09:28 PM   #33
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post

Basically the usual whole chicken braised and a special dumpling. The dumplings were like thick noodles. An inch or so wide and about 3/8ths inch thick.
I remember the dough had many eggs in it and the were very very good. But heavy.
What part of Michigan does she hail from?

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 11:03 PM   #34
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by FincaPerlitas View Post
There are a couple of brands of southern-style frozen dumplings sold in the supermarkets (at least here in Florida). Mary Hill dumplings, made by the Dumplin Shopppe in Hazlehurst, GA, and Anne's Flat Dumplings made in Whiteville, NC. Both are excellent quality and are made specifically for use in southern-style chicken and dumplings.
Love chicken and dumplings, a great dish on a cold winter night around here. Maybe the dumplings for southern-style chicken and dumplings are different and not so easy to make. I've made dumplings from scratch that are pretty simple to make. I'm sure they're good quality as you say, but why use use pre-made?
Old 06-15-2014, 07:37 AM   #35
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by katybar22 View Post
I always (like UB said) start with good stock, carrots and celery. I make bisquick dumplings too, but I put lots of black pepper in them The more the better. I also put thyme in the stock while cooking the chicken, just whole sprigs. The leaves are small so they fall of and are delish. If I feel it needs more flavor then I add poultry seasoning and lots more black pepper. I bet they'll turn out great!!
Yummm! The pepper in the biscuits sounds awesome. I don't hesitate to season, but never thought of that one. I would use Bisquick, but it's just me. Even if in a canister, I just don't use it enough. I try to avoid white flour when possible. I found a great 100% whole wheat biscuit recipe that gives me a pretty, fluffy biscuit. Took a lot of searching and experiments to find that one. It's still a big batch, but I freeze them. But again... that pepper, especially for chicken and dumplings... love it! 🌹
Old 06-15-2014, 07:42 AM   #36
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post

I guess that's what makes these types of meals so good... the fact that they are rich and heavy. Such a hearty, comfort meal though. I like this type of meal in the winter. Tough when you try to make things healthier. I wish I had that recipe for you. Hope you find it. 🌹
Old 06-15-2014, 08:07 AM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

I used to have a girlfriend that used the Biscuit recipe, pat the dough into a large square and then cut the dough into smaller squares. She would use an egg turner to pick them up and put in the stock.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:45 AM   #38
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I used to have a girlfriend that used the Biscuit recipe, pat the dough into a large square and then cut the dough into smaller squares. She would use an egg turner to pick them up and put in the stock.
Did they turn out like a biscuit, a noodle or a bit of both (flat biscuit)? All this Chicken & Dumplings talk has me wanting to try my hand at it. But I like the biscuit version.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:02 AM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
Did they turn out like a biscuit, a noodle or a bit of both (flat biscuit)? All this Chicken & Dumplings talk has me wanting to try my hand at it. But I like the biscuit version.
They fluffed up like dumplings. Square dumplings.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:53 AM   #40
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetMlr View Post
I guess that's what makes these types of meals so good... the fact that they are rich and heavy. Such a hearty, comfort meal though. I like this type of meal in the winter. Tough when you try to make things healthier. I wish I had that recipe for you. Hope you find it. ��
Hearty is the right word for those dumplings. Once and awhile its okay to eat this stuff. And you are right about winter. I would not even entertain the thought of this dish in summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
What part of Michigan does she hail from?
I think it was called Saginaw? Very rural she told me. I met and married her in South Fl. She hated cold. She is still down there enjoying the heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
RB, those sound like egg noodles: Homemade Egg Noodles - Recipe for Fresh Egg Noodles
I will check the link. Yes, they do sound like noodles. But they are thicker than a noodle depending on how thick a noodle can be.
They were heavy, strips of what can be best described as firm dumplings.
They also used a quite a bit of butter in the stock to help keep them separated and to infuse more flavor. I guess?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Thats how they make them down here. Biscuit dough. Even canned biscuits are used.
They are okay, but you have to be careful you do not make creamy chicken soup instead of chicken and dumplings.
They tend to disintegrate in the stock if your not careful.

Tags
None