"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 06-24-2014, 08:02 AM   #51
Senior Cook

I have a process when it comes to C&D. First I buy a whole chicken, nice size. Put the chicken with nothing else, in a crock pot, lined with a bag. cook all day on low heat. Remove the chicken and drain the juices. De-fat the juice, but not all of it, leave some of the fat. Add water and bring to a boil. I use the Mary Hill frozen dumplings from the grocery. I add them to a rolling boiling pot and then season with salt and pepper. Turn it to med low and simmer until the dumplings are done. If it requires thickening, i use corn starch. I add back the dark meat chicken. Save the white meat to make chicken salad with. Really a liked set of recipes at my house.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:19 AM   #52
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyap View Post
I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried matzo balls for the dumplings. I see the package for the mix at the grocery store and I'm thinking they might work as well. I remember my mother making german style dumplings when I was little and the picture on the package looks very similar.
I haven't tried matzo balls, but I've sure made spaetzle (German dumplings) many times. I make them to go with a Hungarian dish, csirke (pronounced cheer'ka) paprikash (chicken paprika). I make spaetzle to go with it. There is such a thing as Hungarian dumplings (galuska), but they are very similar. Mom made spaetzle, so I've always made spaetzle. But csirke paprikash is the same type of dish as chicken and dumplings. Spices are different of course (Hungarian paprika and then sour cream added to the thickened liquid), but still... one of those comfort foods. Spaetzle is a bit tedious to make, but worth the work. I don't know if they can be found in a mix or already made frozen. But this is what they look like.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:29 AM   #53
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Home Cook View Post
I have a process when it comes to C&D. First I buy a whole chicken, nice size. Put the chicken with nothing else, in a crock pot, lined with a bag. cook all day on low heat. Remove the chicken and drain the juices. De-fat the juice, but not all of it, leave some of the fat. Add water and bring to a boil. I use the Mary Hill frozen dumplings from the grocery. I add them to a rolling boiling pot and then season with salt and pepper. Turn it to med low and simmer until the dumplings are done. If it requires thickening, i use corn starch. I add back the dark meat chicken. Save the white meat to make chicken salad with. Really a liked set of recipes at my house.
Thats how its made here too. No vegetables, just chicken and water for the stock and the dumplings.

I still need the recipe for "Popeye"
Old 06-24-2014, 11:42 AM   #54
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetMlr View Post
Happy to. Here ya go:

Fluffy Whole Wheat Biscuits
Janet
Thanks for the recipe. I will surely
try it.

Josie
Old 06-24-2014, 02:36 PM   #55
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Thats how its made here too. No vegetables, just chicken and water for the stock and the dumplings.

I still need the recipe for "Popeye"
I go a little nuts with my C&D. First, as with all of my chicken soups, I bone the bird and throw the bones into a pan with the chicken skins and a little salt. Brown them to develop good flavor. Cut a couple stocks of celery and throw it all into a pot with water and lightly boil/simmer for a couple hours, or throw in a pressure cooker for an hour. This results in a broth rich with flavor and collagen. I strain the broth put it back into the pot with sliced carrot, celery, and onion. When the veggies are nearly cooked through, add the dumpling dough, and lightly brown the chicken, which was diced beforehand into small cubes. Divide the meat into the bowls, add the soup, and either top with a dumpling, or serve the dumplings on the side.

the meat is tender and great flavored, no bones to pick out of your mouth, and great tasting soup and veggies.

I have a friend who used to buy a package of chicken wings with which to make his broth. After making the broth and casting aside the chicken wings, then he'd make his soup. Needless to say it was extremely rich in chicken flavor.

I don't like to boil/simmer the whole chicken as it makes the meat bland. I like the meat to be great tasting, and the broth gets great flavor from the browned bones.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:54 PM   #56
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetMlr View Post
I haven't tried matzo balls, but I've sure made spaetzle (German dumplings) many times. I make them to go with a Hungarian dish, csirke (pronounced cheer'ka) paprikash (chicken paprika). I make spaetzle to go with it. There is such a thing as Hungarian dumplings (galuska), but they are very similar. Mom made spaetzle, so I've always made spaetzle. But csirke paprikash is the same type of dish as chicken and dumplings. Spices are different of course (Hungarian paprika and then sour cream added to the thickened liquid), but still... one of those comfort foods. Spaetzle is a bit tedious to make, but worth the work. I don't know if they can be found in a mix or already made frozen. But this is what they look like.

I have used these to make beans and spaetzle. They were pretty good.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:00 PM   #57
Master Chef

Speaking of Spaetzle, I have a spaetzlemaker/potato ricer. I haven't made home made spaetzle in ages. I don't even remember the recipe. I just remember that it's a fery loose dough, almost a batter, and you squeeze it through the tool and into a flavorful broth. Anyone have the recipe?

My spastzle maker looks like this - http://www.amazon.com/Kuchenprofi-Po...spaetzle+maker

Don't put cheesecloth in the bottom and try to juice raspberries in it. It can be done but it more work than a strong man wants to do. I know, because I was a strong man when I did it. Now, well i've lost some strength over the years, but am more experienced. A juicer works better, though it's still a lot of work, at least with my juicer. (-:

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:02 PM   #58
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
I have used these to make beans and spaetzle. They were pretty good.
Wow! Have never seen that. I probably couldn't bring myself to buy them pre-made though. I'm sure that wasn't around many years ago when Mom was making them. I'm sure she would have at least given those a try. If I had kids and hubby all with crazy schedules, a great option, but it's just me. I'd say it's because I'm retired, but I did make them for the family when I was working.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:19 PM   #59
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Speaking of Spaetzle, I have a spaetzlemaker/potato ricer. I haven't made home made spaetzle in ages. I don't even remember the recipe. I just remember that it's a fery loose dough, almost a batter, and you squeeze it through the tool and into a flavorful broth. Anyone have the recipe?

My spastzle maker looks like this - Amazon.com: Kuchenprofi Potato Ricer/Spaetzle Press in 18/10 Stainless Steel: Kitchen & Dining

Don't put cheesecloth in the bottom and try to juice raspberries in it. It can be done but it more work than a strong man wants to do. I know, because I was a strong man when I did it. Now, well i've lost some strength over the years, but am more experienced. A juicer works better, though it's still a lot of work, at least with my juicer. (-:

I had a spatzle maker like that and hated it Chief. You can buy one like this Amazon.com: Kuchenprofi Spaetzle Lid & Scraper in 18/10 Stainless Steel: Pasta Makers: Kitchen & Dining

Or you can make a free one like mine with a metal pie pan and a drill. It works great.

And here's a recipe...
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/german-spaetzle-dumplings/

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:30 PM   #60
Master Chef

If you want to try Spaetzle before you invest in a specialized piece of equipment you can get by with a box grater, use the large holes. A Foley food mill or a metal colander and a rubber spatula can also be used. I've had it a couple of times, but I never became a fan.

Tags
None