"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 06-25-2014, 07:22 PM   #61
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Speaking of Spaetzle, I have a spaetzlemaker/potato ricer. I haven't made home made spaetzle in ages. I don't even remember the recipe. I just remember that it's a fery loose dough, almost a batter, and you squeeze it through the tool and into a flavorful broth. Anyone have the recipe?
I don't know why, but I never got one of those gadgets for making spaetzle. I use 2 spoons, scooping up a tiny bit of dough with one, and pushing it into the simmering liquid with the other. I work fast, but it's definitely a labor of love. Some things Mom taught me (maybe long before there was a gadget) just stayed with me. She learned to make Hungarian dumplings (much like spaetzle) from her Hungarian mother-in-law who spoke no English. (long story there)

Old 06-26-2014, 05:57 PM   #62
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

You might also try a disposable pie pan with holes poked in the bottom - a chop stick works nicely to make holes. You can toss it if you want to avoid dishes ;)

Old 06-27-2014, 07:22 AM   #63
Executive Chef

I wonder if drop biscuits on top of chicken and andouille gumbo would be good. Instead of serving it over rice.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:37 PM   #64
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
You might also try a disposable pie pan with holes poked in the bottom - a chop stick works nicely to make holes. You can toss it if you want to avoid dishes ;)
I'd think a disposable pan would be too flimsy for the batter, but as I mentioned earlier I made one with a sturdy metal pie pan by using a drill for the holes. It works great. I love spatzle..

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 01:02 PM   #65
Chef Extraordinaire

I've never made spaetzle - it's one of those things I plan to make one day - but my recipe says to spread the batter on a cutting board and cut off pieces of it directly into the pot.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:22 PM   #66
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I've never made spaetzle - it's one of those things I plan to make one day - but my recipe says to spread the batter on a cutting board and cut off pieces of it directly into the pot.
You can certainly do it that way GG. I got so blamed HOT standing over that boiling water for so long I swore I'd never do it again.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 01:38 PM   #67
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
You can certainly do it that way GG. I got so blamed HOT standing over that boiling water for so long I swore I'd never do it again.
Right! I should have added that I actually bought one of the gadgets, but I was really sick last winter and never got around to making it.
Old 06-28-2014, 12:28 PM   #68
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
I wonder if drop biscuits on top of chicken and andouille gumbo would be good. Instead of serving it over rice.
It will work, as long as your Gumbo is not to thick. The addition of the dough will thicken it even further as always some dough gets incorporated into the stewing liquid and the dough does absorb liquid.
Also the dumplings need some room to expand.

I would use small dumplings in a dish like that. And just a few.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:28 PM   #69
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
My first wife had a chicken and dumpling dish called "Popeye".

Basically the usual whole chicken braised and a special dumpling. The dumplings were like thick noodles. An inch or so wide and about 3/8ths inch thick.
I remember the dough had many eggs in it and the were very very good. But heavy.
Her family was from Michigan, so these were not southern at all.
I wish I could find this dumpling recipe again. Or find something close.

My mother made this and I can't duplicate it. She called it Pot Pie, not Popeye. I have since heard that it is actually a Pennsylvania Dutch dish called Bott Boi. I have a recipe for it somewhere but it doesn't turn out like my mother's.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:19 PM   #70
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
My mother made this and I can't duplicate it. She called it Pot Pie, not Popeye. I have since heard that it is actually a Pennsylvania Dutch dish called Bott Boi. I have a recipe for it somewhere but it doesn't turn out like my mother's.
Have you Googled it? The following is just one of many recipes on line.

Chicken Pot Pie Recipe, PA Dutch Potpie or Bott Boi | from Teri's Kitchen

This contributor gives both her mother's recipe for the noodles and her Grandmother's old fashion recipe.

Tags
None