"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 06-30-2014, 05:44 AM   #71
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
My mother made this and I can't duplicate it. She called it Pot Pie, not Popeye. I have since heard that it is actually a Pennsylvania Dutch dish called Bott Boi. I have a recipe for it somewhere but it doesn't turn out like my mother's.
Some parts of the country call em "Slicks".

This is my secret to great Bott Boi!

Pennsylvania Dutch Noodles | Products | Square (Pot Pie) Egg Noodles

Old 06-30-2014, 10:27 AM   #72
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post

Yes, I remember the square pot pie noodles where very thick and slippery. Yummy! My mother served a lot of "fill you up" meals. There was probably chicken in it, but I don't remember the chicken! LOL

Old 07-01-2014, 11:38 AM   #73
Executive Chef

Quote:
My mother made this and I can't duplicate it. She called it Pot Pie, not Popeye. I have since heard that it is actually a Pennsylvania Dutch dish called Bott Boi. I have a recipe for it somewhere but it doesn't turn out like my mother's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Have you Googled it? The following is just one of many recipes on line.

Chicken Pot Pie Recipe, PA Dutch Potpie or Bott Boi | from Teri's Kitchen

This contributor gives both her mother's recipe for the noodles and her Grandmother's old fashion recipe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post

You ladies are terrific and quite helpful.
The dumpling/noodle in my ex wifes recipe used more eggs than the recipes you showed links to. But it could have been the batch size?
For some reason, 12 eggs stick in my mind?
The noddles/dumplings were thicker than those pictured in the last link.
They were very heavy and very rich. They made the dish.

Thanks as i now have a dumpling recipe to work with. Time to start experimenting. No. Wait. Its summer. Might have to wait for fall or a rainy day! But experiment I will.
Old 07-01-2014, 03:14 PM   #74
Executive Chef

Roll Bones I searched through a lot of recipes online and didn't see any that called for more than 3 eggs in the dough. I know my mothers noodles were really thick, too. I loved them. There are several things my mother made that I will never have again, unfortunately. She didn't like anyone messing around in her kitchen. I was allowed to clean up, but not to pitch in with the cooking. She thought if I learned how to cook I wouldn't need her anymore.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:40 PM   #75
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Roll Bones I searched through a lot of recipes online and didn't see any that called for more than 3 eggs in the dough. I know my mothers noodles were really thick, too. I loved them. There are several things my mother made that I will never have again, unfortunately. She didn't like anyone messing around in her kitchen. I was allowed to clean up, but not to pitch in with the cooking. She thought if I learned how to cook I wouldn't need her anymore.
My daughter-in-law has four other sisters. The mother was a terrific cook. And she never taught one of her girls how to cook. All that knowledge lost.

I taught all my kids how to cook starting with simple things like how much water to put on for boiling to cook pasta.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:56 PM   #76
Executive Chef

My girls had zero interest in cooking. They were content with dad doing everything.
To this very day, they have zero clue as to light a charcoal grill or to actually make anything from scratch.
They are quite busy with careers, so I'm not complaining as they could have done worse.

Now I, was very interested in cooking at a young age.
My mother and father both worked. So, to speed up dinner, I would offer assistance with the preparation.
My mother would leave the meat on the counter to thaw. When I got home from school, I would call her at work and ask what to do. She would instruct me and by the time she got home it would be close to completion.
After some time doing this, I was making the complete dinner each day after school.
This is how I learned.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:26 PM   #77
Chef Extraordinaire

My boys used to go to work with their father every summer. They both had jobs in the kitchen. Of course it was not their idea of a summer vacation except when they would get a day off. They would only work a half day. And it wasn't doing dishes. It was handling food items. They weren't allowed to handle knives or machinery. But they did get to see how a professional kitchen worked.

At home they all had chores in the kitchen. Setting the table, peeling veggies, learning how to make fried eggs and sausages, pancakes, and other simple dishes. The only time I was in that kitchen alone was on Sunday morning.

Tags
None