Chicken & Dumplings.. what's your secret?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GrillingFool

Head Chef
I am thinking of making chicken and dumplings for the first time tonight.

There is an overwhelming number of variations and recipes on the web!

So.. what is your secret to really good chicken and dumplings?

I am probably going to do Bisquick dumplings, per wife's request.

secret flavorings?

I'd like a creamy style, I think......

suggestions appreciated!

Oh, Im planning on using bone in chicken breasts for my meat....

<<< taking notes

img_830192_0_6163253f2f61f86d86bfc78f81ec94ab.gif

I always (like UB said) start with good stock, carrots and celery. I make bisquick dumplings too, but I put lots of black pepper in them The more the better. I also put thyme in the stock while cooking the chicken, just whole sprigs. The leaves are small so they fall of and are delish. If I feel it needs more flavor then I add poultry seasoning and lots more black pepper. I bet they'll turn out great!!

I agree that if you're going to use Bisquick, season it up WELL. I'm not a big Bisquick fan for dumplings in savory dishes because I find the mix too sweet for my taste.

OK, chicken is simmering. Used some chicken stock in the water, shiitake mushrooms for umami, carrots, bay, celery, shallots, poultry seasoning, salt, pepper. Did a little saute of the veggies first.
Thyme! Good idea. Wish I had some.
Now, should I add more veggies later, and take these old boiled to death ones out?

OK, chicken is simmering. Used some chicken stock in the water, shiitake mushrooms for umami, carrots, bay, celery, shallots, poultry seasoning, salt, pepper. Did a little saute of the veggies first.
Thyme! Good idea. Wish I had some.
Now, should I add more veggies later, and take these old boiled to death ones out?

You could but I usually just use the old boiled to death ones, it's my favorite flavor, lol. No, really unless they have fallen apart and you can't tell a carrot from a celery, I use 'em because they have all the good flavor. If you do put new veggies in be sure you have enough time for them to really soften. I think that's what puts the 'comfort' in comfort food.

Katy

can i just use my biscuit dough for dumplings? should i add a bit extra milk?

My personal preference is no vegetables in the finished product...A quartered onion, 2 or 3 ribs of celery, a carrot or two cut into large pieces, and other "stuff" in the pot while the whole cut up bird simmers...At the appropriate time remove the chicken, strain, but do not de-fat the stock...At this stage I only want the strained stock, and the chicken meat for later use.........

Fun!

I think the dough should be enough to thicken but you can always add milk or cream, jmo, I could be wrong (but I doubt it, lol)
i meant should i add a bit extra milk to the dough mix so it is a bit looser dough. :LOL:

Delaware and the Delmarva Peninsula make "slippery dumpling" big fat "noodles" made of flour, salt pepper, lard, and cold water, rolled out and cooked in the broth...it's what thickens the broth and makes the dish!

Helps to have whole chickens, old ones for lots of flavor (stewing hens if you can find find them).

Choose your herb: sage or tarragon, to go with the parsley.

Well, my wife said that it was "Perfect, just what I think of when I think C&D",
so I'll label it a success.

I added a carrot, celery rib, 1/4 onion to the stock when I pulled the chicken out.
The boiled to death veggies just got chopped smaller and tossed back in.
Just before dumpling time, I tossed in a handful of frozen peas.

Wife came out of semi-retirement (cooking-wise), and did the Bisquick dumplings.
I watched and took notes, LOL!

Personally, I think I like my dumplings to be a bit less cohesive;
I like to moosh them up and thicken it up. But flavor-wise, it was quite good.
(I removed a good 2 ounces of fat from my stock, which left plenty for flavor
but made me feel a tad more healthy.)

The nice thing about skin on breasts with rib portions is that there's
plenty of fat and even some "dark" meat for flavor. And my dogs like all
the skin and cartilage mixed in with their food. :ROFLMAO:

Grilling Fool -

A couple of thoughts here :)

You have a good wife if she'll be in the kitchen with the chef and contributing. Mine was always concerned about the head chef's critical evaluations and suggestions.

Consider using boneless, skinless chicken thighs next time (you'd be amazed at how well they work here).

Have you considered making the really thick heavy noodles some call "dumplings"? Big difference, but really good.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom