Chicken and Noodles Recipe search

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

velochic

Sous Chef
I just found out that a relative will be visiting!! :ohmy: Tonight! :ohmy:

She wants me to make chicken and noodles like grams used to make. I've never made it and don't know if I have (or can get) the ingredients.

It's not a soup. It's thick and the sauce is yellowish and if I remember correctly... quite salty. Anyone have any recipes? I'm clueless about even how to google for it. It keeps coming up with "soup" recipes.

Could it be a kind of buttered noodle side dish? Mine doesn't really have a 'sauce' though...

I use tagliatelle. Prepare to al dente stage and drain well. Put back into the cooking saucepan, toss with some butter and lots of fresh parmesan cheese (or cheddar if you prefer) and freshly ground black pepper.

Maybe this is what she was talking about...

My homemade chicken and noodles:

INGREDIENTS:
1 chicken, boiled, boned and cut up (or bone-in breasts and leg-quarters)
4 qts broth from chicken
2 eggs
3 cups flour
1 tbl dried parsley, or 1/4 cup fresh chopped Italian parsley
few drops yellow food coloring
salt, pepper

DIRECTIONS:
Season chicken broth to taste with salt, pepper, parsley and a few drops yellow food color. If there isn't enough liquid to make 4 qts, add canned broth or water. Break eggs in 2 cup measure, beat, and add enough cooled broth to fill cup. Mix well. Put 2 cups flour in large bowl, make a well in center, and add egg mixture. With a fork, work in flour till dough forms a a ball. Put on floured pastry cloth or board. Knead lightly, working in just enough flour so the dough can be rolled. Too much flour will make the noodles tough. Roll out as thin as possible. Using a pizza cutter dipped in flour, cut dough in 1-1/2" strips, then cut the other way to make squares, dropping into boiling broth as you go. After all are in, cook over med heat at a gentle simmer till almost tender, about an hour. Add chicken and continue simmering until chicken is warm. Adjust seasoning.

*note* You may freeze uncooked noodles on cookie sheet between layers of waxed paper, then remove to a ziplock bag when frozen. Just drop frozen noodles into boiling broth when needed.

*For a more flavorful broth, cook chopped celery, onions, carrots and minced garlic along with chicken and let simmer till chicken is falling of the bone. Strain broth before using if you wish.

*Hint: Add a few drops of yellow food coloring to broth...It makes the dish look more appealing.

Chicken and Noodles

1 medium onion - chopped
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 pound mushroom - sliced
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
3/4 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup evaporated skim milk
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/4 cup sour cream
3/4 pound boned and skinned chicken breasts - poached (or grilled) and sliced
salt and pepper
1/2 pound noodles, cooked

In a large nonstick skillet, cook the onion in the butter over moderate heat for 5 minutes or until softened. Add the mushrooms and cook for 8 minutes more, or until almost all of the liquid the mushrooms give off is evaporated.

Sprinkle the flour over the mushrooms and cook the mixture, stirring, for 2 minutes. Whisk in the broth, bring the mixture to a boil, whisking, and simmer it for 3 minutes. Add the milk, and simmer the mixture for 3 minutes or until it is thickened.

Stir in the lemon juice, sour cream, chicken, and the salt and pepper to taste, and cook the mixture over moderate heat until heated through. Serve over noodles.

Thanks all... I ended up making chili. :LOL:

The recipe I'm thinking of DOES have yellow food coloring in it probably. The dish is thick - a main dish - with just noodles, this yellow sauce-like concoction and chicken. I don't know what it is about the dish, but it's like... well, like... HOME!! Very comforting and midwestern US. Like you eat in cafeterias.

Constance said:
Maybe this is what she was talking about...
*Hint: Add a few drops of yellow food coloring to broth...It makes the dish look more appealing.
Powdered tumeric is a natural colorant - a pinch or 2 will achieve the same result. Tumeric stains *everything in sight* so beware. Wash your hands after adding it. If you get it on cloth, it will *never* come out.

velochic said:
I don't know what it is about the dish, but it's like... well, like... HOME!! Very comforting and midwestern US. Like you eat in cafeterias.

yes, yes, and yes. I was raised in the Midwest. Have never learned to make this wonderful dish really well.

Back
Top Bottom