"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl
Old 10-12-2005, 05:35 AM   #1
Executive Chef
Chicken 'Bonnie Prince Charlie'

I am attending a dinner at a posh hotel - all the dishes are Jacobite themed. I've been told that this dish will be on the menu - it's a favourite for tourist hotels of the posher variety! It is also a popular dish at St Andrew's Night dinners, too. Still, makes a change from haggis!

BTW - I think the only real connection with BPC is the Drambuie that is used in the dish!

4 chicken breasts, skinned and boned
2 or 3 tablespoons of Drambuie
8 tablespoons (4 fluid ounces or 125ml) chicken stock
8 fluid ounces (250ml) double cream
3 ounces (125g) butter
1 ounce (25g) flaked almonds
4 apples
A little flour
salt and pepper, to taste

Flour and season the chicken breasts and fry in hot butter in both sides. When they are well browned, sprinkle with Drambuie, add the chicken stock, cover and simmer for until they are cooked through/
While the chicken is cooking, peel and core the apples. Cut them into thick slices and cook gently in butter until fairly soft - do not stir to avoid mashing. Remove the chicken to a serving dish, when ready, and keep warm in the oven. Make the sauce by adding more Drambuie, if required, to the stock left in the pan and gently stir in the cream. Heat but do not boil. Add the roasted flaked almonds. Cover the chicken with this sauce and garnish with the sliced apple.

Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 06:46 AM   #2
Head Chef
That looks great, i'm always looking for new chicken recipes so I'll try this. Thanks

There is no such thing as a little garlic.
mrsmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 08:48 AM   #3
Executive Chef
that a keeper fer sure
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 12:24 PM   #4
I agree it looks delicious. Drambuie is an interesting choice. Now I would like the history lesson please. What exactly is the connection between BPC and Drambuie? The french exile thing?
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 01:22 PM   #5
Senior Cook
Somehow I picture the "2 fat ladies" preparing this.I miss them.
I used a microwave once.....just once!
foodaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 03:51 PM   #6
Executive Chef
Would one thin Scots lady do?

The connection is that supposedly, BPC gave the recipe for drambuie to a Scots family in recognition of their help in the Jacobite Rebellion of 1745 (and if you'll believe THAT....!)
Old 10-12-2005, 05:52 PM   #7
Saltygreasybacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 06:40 AM   #8
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Yummer!! I am always looking for new ideas to cook boneless skinless chicken breasts, this sounds like a winner!! But we don't have or never tried Drambuie... does any kind of Scotch whiskey would do, or does Drambuie has a distinct flavour that makes itself a must for this recipe?
urmaniac13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 02:50 AM   #9
Executive Chef
Ordinary Scottish whiskies, whether single malts or blends wouldn't give the same results. Drambuie is a liquer, not a whisky per se. It is sweeter - because of the heather honey and the other 'secret' ingredients.... (no-one knows what or indeed whether there really IS a secret ingredient!)

I find it a bit overpowering as a drink, but incorporate it into lots of puddings, such as cranachan or when requiring a whisky cream.

BTW - Scottish whisky is always without an 'e' .... whiskEy is Irish or American bourbon-type whiskey....!
Old 10-14-2005, 05:16 AM   #10
Sous Chef
Pointless post from me: Canadian whisky follows the Scottish way.

Also Ishbel, my Dad just returned back from Scotland for a couple of months, brought back some macaroon bars (as well as Grant's Haggis and Black Pudding in a can) thought I forget which brand...whoa! Coconut flavoured block of hard sugar!

Wish he brought back a box or five of rhubarb rock, iron bru bars and tablet instead! :P

Haggis is offline   Reply With Quote