Chicken breasts question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ps8

Senior Cook
Approximately how many cups would 4 whole chicken breasts, cooked and cut-up make?

Are you talking whole as in both sides? (which would be 8 pieces) or 4 pieces of chicken breast?

If its 4, I'd say about 2 cups...maybe 2 1/2

That's a mighty good question, and I don't know the answer. The recipe says: "4 whole chicken breasts, cooked and cut in bite size peices". I guess I'll just go with 2 1/2 c. and see where that gets me. :wacko:

Thank you!

Wow - 4 whole breasts is a LOT of chicken - lol!!

When using boneless skinless chicken breasts (each piece is actually half a breast), I find that for the most part, each boneless skinless breast equals about one cup when the meat is diced up &/or shredded. So by your recipe, I'd say you're looking at about 8 cups of chicken.

What's the recipe title?

It's called Chicken Tortilla. It's one of those that you mix the chicken with a variety of ingredients plus some cream type soup and layer it with tortillas & cheese.

It seems that when recipe calls for a chiken breast it is refers to actually a half of the breast, and also it is how it is comonly sold. At least that is what I think.

I agree with Charlie. A chicken breast is 1/2 of a whole chicken breast.
4 would yield about 4 cups + or -

A turkey breast however would mean the whole breast!

Fun!! and Enjoy!!

I'll be sure to let yall know how it turns out.

Thanks for all the help!

I read somewhere (I think it was in "How to Cook Everything") that each piece of a chicken breast, when boned, is called a cutlet. But, nobody really uses that terminology anymore, so everyone these days refers to the half as a chicken breast, even though a breast is technically the whole thing (both halves).

I read on this site that it is called a cutlet or a "supreme". Never heard of a supreme before. Imagine:

Guy #1: I’m going to grill a marinated supreme tonight.
Guy #2: A supreme what?
Guy #1: A supreme!
Guy #2: Supreme what????
Guy #1: It’s a chicken breast!
Guy #2: What makes it so supreme, is it imported?
Guy #1: Argh!
Guy #2: WHAT? Is it free range or something?
Guy #1: :evil: shutup......

I think you could go by how many portions are you making. Think 1 breast per person, that should give you an idea how much you need.
If you use 4 whole breast (whole usually meaning the 2 sides) you are making enough for 8 persons.
Am I right?

I'm definitely not a butcher expert, but I always thought that a "supreme" of chicken was actually half of a half of boneless skinless chicken breast. Specifically the pieces or halves you get when you cut the meat away from that central tendon that boneless skinless breasts have.

But again - this may just be something I read in a cookbook that was the author's particular definition.

mitmondol said:
I think you could go by how many portions are you making. Think 1 breast per person, that should give you an idea how much you need.
If you use 4 whole breast (whole usually meaning the 2 sides) you are making enough for 8 persons.
Am I right?

Yeah, I guess you're right. The recipe says it makes 6 to 8 servings. But, since it isn't served as a chicken breast, but all cut up as part of a casserole, would I still assume 1 breast - or 1+ cup cut up - per serving?

Yes I would go by that.
Your recipe says 6-8 persons, that means 4 whole (8 half ) breast.
So yes, you'll be fine with about 1 cup/person.

If I remember right, in my Escoffier cookbook, he mentions that a chicken "supreme" is half a breast, with the upper wing bone still attached.

We actually get these things at work, but they're called "airline breasts". Why, I have no idea.

Back
Top Bottom