"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 04-01-2006, 02:54 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Chicken broth VS chicken boullion?

I generate lots of chicken broth to keep on hand but must purchase bullion cubes. Read a receipe today which mentioned both but was not certain if they were interchangable.

Old 04-01-2006, 03:01 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Difficult to make cubes out of broth...
(sorry, it is April Fools Day)
Yes, I would interchange them easily. The cubes would also carry more salt, but it is easy to tell if you need it.

Old 04-01-2006, 05:52 PM   #3
Master Chef

I try not to use bouillion cubes anymore because of the high salt content. Plus, I find that some brands have a slight "chemical" aftertaste.

As far as the difference, the cube is highly concentrated. If the recipe tells you to dissolve it in, say, a cup of water before using it in the recipe, I don't see why you couldn't use an equal amount of chicken broth. The end result just might need a little extra seasoning.
Old 04-01-2006, 08:02 PM   #4
Master Chef

I don't like the boullion cubes...I think they taste nasty. I prefer a jarred chicken base product or canned broth instead, usually the latter. The quality of both of these products varies greatly. Of those available in my area, I prefer Swanson's (low fat). I can buy 8-packs at Sam's for a very reasonable price.
I do make a lot of my own, and freeze it in ziplocks for soups, but the canned is so convenient for other things.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:25 AM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnU
I generate lots of chicken broth to keep on hand but must purchase bullion cubes. Read a receipe today which mentioned both but was not certain if they were interchangable.
Don't know what your recipe said where it mentioned both .... sometimes both are used in a recipe to fortify the flavor without increasing the liquid content which would require an additional long slow reduction (generally something like x amount of broth + x bullion cubes). If your recipe was an either/or - it should explain how to adjust to use one or the other.

Generally (read the package instructions for details) 1 bullion cube + 8 oz boiling water = 1 cup canned broth. So, in this case, yes they are interchangeable. You will just need to adjust the liquid content. For example, if a recipe calls for 3 bullion cubes and 6 cups of water - you could use 3 cups of broth and 3 cups of water.

I prefer using a paste base - but if I'm going to use bullion cubes I prefer the Herb-Ox low sodium, no MSG, variety.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:08 PM   #6
Cooking Links Contest Winner

Send a message via Yahoo to shannon in KS
I can definitely taste the difference between cubes and broth. I use broth if I need a large amount, but I can't live without the granules. I sprinkle it on veggies and in sauces rather than use it as broth though.

shannon in KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 10:37 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

I, too, have found the granules and cubes to be too salty and not true tasting.

I now use bases. A base, such as chicken or beef base, is a thick paste that is a highly concentrated stock. A teaspoon of base and 8 ounces of water make a cup of stock.

I sometimes use a bit if base to enhance the flavor of soups or stews.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:15 AM   #8
Master Chef

I don't care for the cubes, but have a couple of brands I like for when I have none in the freezer. One is a paste, one is granular. Often when cooking something that needs salt, I'll use the powdered one instead of salt to give a sauce or soup a richer flavor.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:39 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I have long since switched from cubes to bases - chicken base, vegetable base, beef base and finding others.

However - for that first meal after a week of the flu (high temperature, not eating, feels like you're walking on a trampoline when you finally get up, etc., etc.) I want those dried Lipton noodes in a box with that little clump of "stuff" that has to melt - there's just nothing better and that's about all the energy I have to get that cooked. Of course, I do have to add extra noodles!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 04:19 AM   #10
Master Chef

Oh, Kitchen Elf, you're a person after my own heart. When I have a cold, nothing will do but a big cup (or ten) of Lipton's noodle soup. It has always annoyed me that they don't sell just the broth part. For me it is the ultimate comfort food.

Tags
None