"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 08-08-2011, 12:09 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia180 View Post
Or am I only makin the soup with the chicken meat/veg once I want to eat it? I.e: just keep the stock, then tomorrow reboil it with the veg etc?
I make chicken stock frequently but usually don't use it right away. I keep it refrigerated up to a week or freeze it to keep it longer.

Some people prefer to make the stock with just the carcass and no added veggies/herbs but adding all the veggies & herbs while you're making the stock is good too and gives it great flavor, especially if the stock is destined for soup. I wouldn't reuse the veggies that you made your stock with in your soup though; they might be too mushy for your liking. I would add fresh when I make the soup.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:25 PM   #12
Head Chef

If you add brocolli do it at the last minute.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:01 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

Hi All,

I put the chicken in the pressure cooker last night with some water, herbs, carrots and onions.

The stock tates flavoursome, but a bit 'weak' or 'runny'. How can I thicken it up? It has been in the fridge overnight but there is minimal fat ont he top.

I have got the chicken from the bone (it basically peeled off, it was messy to sort through carcass and remaining meat haha). And I've binned the onion and carrots.

Now, I won't be able to use the stock until Saturday. So... should I save the chicken and freeze it (all the chicken is cooked). Or should I make up the soup with the chicken and veg and freeze it. Or will the chicken keep?

Thanks!
Amnesia
Old 08-11-2011, 07:45 AM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

You can do either. Freeze the stock and chicken or make the soup and freeze that. It depends on when you want to take the time to make the soup.

You can make the stock stronger by reducing it some before adding the veggies.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:58 AM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
You can do either. Freeze the stock and chicken or make the soup and freeze that. It depends on when you want to take the time to make the soup.

You can make the stock stronger by reducing it some before adding the veggies.
Perfect advice, Andy! I had a friend who used to make his chicken stock by boiling a 5 pound bag of chicken wings to get intense chicken flavor. But that was before wings sky-rocketed in price due to the hot-wing craze. He made some pretty great chicken soup. The dissolved collagen and flavor intensity of his stock was legendary.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:24 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the advice.
I didn't know if it was safe to freeze cooked chicken, that was all :-)

I went out for a meal last ngiht with the Fiance and I had half a chicken, so I asked them to box me up the bones and meat I had left and also threw that in with the carcass we already had! Bit cheeky, but I didn't mind!

I think I'll put the stock into individual tubs and feeze it along with freezing the chicken seperately. That way I can make it to order :-)
Old 08-11-2011, 09:38 AM   #17
Master Chef

Site Administrator

I find chicken I use to make stock very bland and unfulfilling in soup. Your tastes and experinece may vary.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:48 AM   #18
Master Chef

Fro my soup, I use cubed, fresh chicken meat, usually a combination of breast and thigh. I add the vegies, and grains to the soup, along with the seasonings, and cook until done. When the soup is completely cooked, I saute' the cubed chicken in a little butter until lightly browned. The chicken meat is extremely tender, juicy, and flavorful. I add the meat to the bowls of soup when serving. That way, the people eating the soup get great soup, and great chicken.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:51 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

You need 1 bay leaf,thyme pepper corns carrot/celery/leek/onion and chicken carcass and water that is it for the stock. You can either caramelize /roast them if you want a darker stock or if you want a light one just simmer over a pot.

But i got a few soups which use chicken stock in it just click here

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...ml#post1035785
Old 10-03-2011, 01:40 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
I pick as much meat off the bird as I can without fighting it.

Then I break up the carcass, break the leg bones stuff like that. Cover with water, bring to a boil, reduce to a very slow simmer.

Give it a couple hours and you can toss the bones and make soup from the stock.
I do that in my pressure cooker when I have two or three carcasses to cook down. I use the broth for soup base, but the rest goes in the meat grinder. I cook 'em until the bones are soft. Then I mix some flax meal with the ground solids and pour into a pan, let it set in the fridge. My dog, Sadie, loves the stuff, and it's good for her.

Tags
chicken, other