"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 08-08-2011, 07:57 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Chicken Carcass - Kitchen Gold!

Hi All,

I have been looking at recipes to make use of the chicken carcass that will be left over from tonights dinner.

I have found ways of making a broth, but how do I turn this into soup?

What I was planning on doing was putting the chicken carcass into our pressure cooker as I don't have a big enough pot (but don't seal the lid, just place it over the top). Put water to cover the carcass, add some herbs and a bay leaf or something, bring to the boil and let it simmer for 1.5 hours.

After that has done, take the bones/fat out and add some carrot, broccoli, onion and potatoe. Leave to simmer until the veg is soft.

But I'm not sure that is right, can anyone suggest anything better?

Many thanks!
Amnesia

Old 08-08-2011, 08:11 AM   #2
Master Chef

Site Administrator

I pick as much meat off the bird as I can without fighting it.

Then I break up the carcass, break the leg bones stuff like that. Cover with water, bring to a boil, reduce to a very slow simmer.

Give it a couple hours and you can toss the bones and make soup from the stock.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:20 AM   #3
Master Chef

I was responding to this and my computer crashed! Oh, well. Same as Frank except if you're making for more than one meal, I'd consider leaving out the brocolli. I love it, but it does tend to overwhelm the other flavors. When I have a carcass I take it, pick off the meat, break it up. Just as Frank said. Then, this time of year I have fresh sage and thyme (dry will do fine), some garlic (no need to peel), onion and celery Stew it all and drain. If it looks fatty, refrigerate overnight. Skim off the fat and put whatever meat is left, chopped, and the veggies/starch of your choice.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:22 AM   #4
Master Chef

I would boil the carcass in water as your said and add some chopped carrot, onion and celery. Then remove the Veg and carcass and add some fresh chopped veg of your choice and seasoning a make a soup this way.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:30 AM   #5
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
It taken a bit more time, and a bit more energy, but roasting the carcass first will build a lot more flavor for the stock. Also, browning off the mirepoix, de-glazing with some wine, will help build layers of flavor. . .then go in with a few peppercorns, a bay leaf or 2, and your water. simmer away and for the last 20min, add in a bouquet garni of fresh parsley, sage, thyme and lemon. Is it all 100% necessary? Maybe not. Is it worth the time and energy? Oh yes.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:34 AM   #6
Head Chef

Use your pressure cooker!! Pressure cooking stock is the way to go--clear stock, lots of rich flavor.

Cook your bones and veggies for about an hour.

(My dogs told me to be sure to tell you that when you strain the bones and veggies out, the bones will be soft enough to mix into dog food!!)

Once you make the stock, you can make any kind of soup you like. I usually add noodles, carrots and celery, but chicken stock is so versatile.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:03 AM   #7
Master Chef

I usually get fresh chicken , beef or fish bones from my butcher when I'm making a stock or soup. One carcass won't give you a very flavourful stock. If you don't have any more bones or trimmings you can also add the peelings from the veggies that your adding to your soup for extra flavour and just boil them with the bones. I always add my herbs ans spices after straining the stock since boiling some herbs for too long can cause the flavour to become bitter.

Here's my basic stock recipe:
3 carcasses with a few necks and trimmings if I have.
2 large onions
2 large carrots
3 celery sticks with leaves
The peeling from all the veggies that I will be using in my soup.

Boil this for about 2 hours then strain. Add any fresh meats and chopped veggies with spices. Cook till tender then add chopped fresh herbs for the last 5 mins of cooking.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:05 AM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
Use your pressure cooker!! Pressure cooking stock is the way to go--clear stock, lots of rich flavor.

Cook your bones and veggies for about an hour.

(My dogs told me to be sure to tell you that when you strain the bones and veggies out, the bones will be soft enough to mix into dog food!!)

Once you make the stock, you can make any kind of soup you like. I usually add noodles, carrots and celery, but chicken stock is so versatile.

I have to agree emphatically with sparowgrass. Roast the carcass for about 30 minutes in a 400' oven. then break the bones and throw it into the pressure cooker. Add a stalk of chopped celery. then cook under pressure for about 40 minutes. You will have extracted everything out of the bones and cartilage that is good. Remove the bones and pick off the meat. Discard the bones and celery. Now add your soup veggies. Add sliced carrots and onion. Season to taste. Now you can use this for making chicken with barley, or chicken noodle, chicken with rice, or chicken & dumpling soups. You can also thicken the mixture with a blond roux and use it to make home made pot pies, or Chicken Tetrazini etc. You can omit the veggies and use the broth to make a great veloute' and then add various veggies to make a creamed chicken style dish, or use the veloute' over fried chicken pieces.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:08 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

Thank you for all the very quick replies!

I think I will use the pressure cooker then, but I had visions of the bones blowing up inside due to the pressure... maybe not! Haha.

So, I will break up the bird (like you said, legs/wings off etc) then bring to boil, then allow to simmer in the pressure cooker. I'm assuming I don't need to do it for as long if it is in the pressure cooker?
I'll put a couple of bits of garlic in there along with some other herbs.

Once that is done, I strain then reboil/simmer with the veg this time (after taking the carcuss and chicken out). Then just reheat the stock with the chicken meat in it when I want to eat it? Is that right?

Or am I only makin the soup with the chicken meat/veg once I want to eat it? I.e: just keep the stock, then tomorrow reboil it with the veg etc?
Old 08-08-2011, 10:58 AM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

You could make the stock today and save it in the fridge for a day or two. You could freeze it. When you want to make the soup. Just bring it to a boil and add the veggies and seasonings you want and simmer until the veggies are cooked to your liking.

Tags
chicken, other