"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 06-25-2012, 12:34 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Chicken Cordon Bleu Ideas

Buonasera, Ladies & Gentlemen,

Growing up in between a Swiss French maternal family and a Milanese Italian paternal family, I had the best of both worlds gastronomically speaking. Would enjoying hearing your take on the recipe ? Which type of cheese do you employ and which type of Ham ?

Here is my maternal Grandmom Margot´s Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe which was handed down to my Mom Eva, and she to me ...

chicken cordon bleu ...

1/2 Cup flour
1 tsp. Paprika
1 cup home made chicken stock
6 chicken breasts - skinless and boneless
Proscuitto di Parma or Spanish Serrano Ham or French Jambon
2 1/2 tsp. salt
1 /2 cup butter of choice ( a compound butter can be employed )
1 / 2 Cup Sherry ( Fino )
Swiss or French Emmenthal Cheese
Reggiano Parmesano Grated

1. preheat oven to 350 farenheit degrees
2. combine the flour, salt, and paprika on a large plate
3. coat the chicken breasts lightly and shake excess
4. golden brown the chicken lightly in the compound or regular butter
5. add the chicken stock and sherry to simmer 20 minutes covered
6. transfer the chicken to baking dish
7. add a thin slice of ham and a slice of Emmenthal on each piece of chicken
8. sprinkle the grated cheese on top of each piece
9. drizzle juices on chicken and bake uncovered for 20 minutes

This dish pairs perfectly with a Rosé Sparkling Wine or a Lambrusco and hot crusty French Baguette.

Ciao, Have A Nice Monday.
Margaux Cintrano.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:03 PM   #2
Head Chef

I do an updated version on the stovetop in a skillet. Pound the breasts flat, brown in butter/oil in a skillet. Add chicken broth, balsamic & freshly ground black pepper, cover until cooked through. Top each w/ a slice of prosciutto & shredded mozzarella. Cover until cheese melts. Serve on a bed of baby spinach, and top with an orange beurre blanc (if desired).

Old 06-25-2012, 01:34 PM   #3
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerise View Post
I do an updated version on the stovetop in a skillet. Pound the breasts flat, brown in butter/oil in a skillet. Add chicken broth, balsamic & freshly ground black pepper, cover until cooked through. Top each w/ a slice of prosciutto & shredded mozzarella. Cover until cheese melts. Serve on a bed of baby spinach, and top with an orange beurre blanc (if desired).
I should correct myself, white pepper rather than black. Visually more aesthetic.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:48 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I love chicken this way

Tags
cheese, chicken, ethnic, recipe

Chicken Cordon Bleu Ideas :chef: Buonasera, Ladies & Gentlemen, Growing up in between a Swiss French maternal family and a Milanese Italian paternal family, I had the best of both worlds gastronomically speaking. Would enjoying hearing your take on the recipe ? Which type of cheese do you employ and which type of Ham ? Here is my maternal Grandmom Margot´s Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe which was handed down to my Mom Eva, and she to me ... :yum: [SIZE=4]chicken cordon bleu ... [/SIZE] 1/2 Cup flour 1 tsp. Paprika 1 cup home made chicken stock 6 chicken breasts - skinless and boneless Proscuitto di Parma or Spanish Serrano Ham or French Jambon 2 1/2 tsp. salt 1 /2 cup butter of choice ( a compound butter can be employed ) 1 / 2 Cup Sherry ( Fino ) Swiss or French Emmenthal Cheese Reggiano Parmesano Grated 1. preheat oven to 350 farenheit degrees 2. combine the flour, salt, and paprika on a large plate 3. coat the chicken breasts lightly and shake excess 4. golden brown the chicken lightly in the compound or regular butter 5. add the chicken stock and sherry to simmer 20 minutes covered 6. transfer the chicken to baking dish 7. add a thin slice of ham and a slice of Emmenthal on each piece of chicken 8. sprinkle the grated cheese on top of each piece 9. drizzle juices on chicken and bake uncovered for 20 minutes This dish pairs perfectly with a Rosé Sparkling Wine or a Lambrusco and hot crusty French Baguette. Ciao, Have A Nice Monday. Margaux Cintrano. 3 stars 1 reviews