Chicken Curry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchenelf

Chef Extraordinaire
Here's a simple chicken curry. Use a skillet large enough pieces of chicken are in a single layer or close to it anyway.

Start with about 5# of chicken pieces. Melt about 1/3 cup butter (can be less but the butter does lend some flavor. So you can mix butter and olive oil if you want to). Brown 1 large white onion , about 3 carrots roughly chopped and remove. Brown chicken pieces in this same skillet. Replace the onion and add 3 TBS curry powder (or to taste). Pour 3 cups of boiliing water over the chicken, onion, and carrots, add plenty of salt and pepper , your coconut milk, and simmer until chicken is tender (about 30 minutes). Remove chicken to a plate. Mix 1/4 cup flour with 1/4 cup cold water and add to broth and stir constantly until thick and smooth.

Either pour mixture over chicken in a large bowl or add chicken back to mixture and reheat.

This is BEST when made earlier in the day and eaten for dinner - however, that is not necessary. We like ours with just plain white rice.

An interesting side note - By mistake I made some really good dumplings and we didn't need the rice. Mix 1/4 or slightly more flour with the same amount of broth from the dish. Stir well, do not cover and shake or it will explode, and pour back in liquid in skillet while stirring with a wooden spoon. Keep stirring so the dumplings aren't too big but they should form ok. :oops: It's not lumpy gravy - it's dumplings!!!! :roll: (That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!!)

Back
Top Bottom