"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 05-16-2008, 03:35 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Chicken cutlet. How to season?

One of my favorite bars cooks this chicken sandwich on a bread roll. It's a grilled chicken fillet on a roll with mozarella cheese and bacon. My question is: What seasoning do I use on the chicken? I'm a newbie (obviously).

Old 05-16-2008, 03:40 PM   #2
Assistant Cook

Oh ! Also, what's a simple but good recipe for mashed potatoes. The bar always serves the chicken sandwich with mashed potatoes and it's really good.

Old 05-16-2008, 03:42 PM   #3
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
I always use s&p and garlic powder -yum, one of my favorites.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:44 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Thanks Barbara, I will try it. I'm really eager to cook my own food, so I don't have to waste so much money buying lunch at work everyday. Do you by any chance know a good mashed potatoes recipe?
Old 05-16-2008, 04:05 PM   #5
Head Chef

Seasoned salt is usually nice. I have come to enjoy Emerils original spice mix.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:07 PM   #6
Master Chef

Site Moderator

There are lot of fairly good pre-mixed rubs and seasonings out there on the market in the spice aisle. You might what to try some of those. When you find ones you like you can try making your own.

You can also just use S&P and then use different sauces and toppings on the sandwich. Take it from a sometimes brown-bagger - just keep the dressing and the toppings separate and put the sandwich together just before you eat.

lettuce/tomato/mayo
bbq sauce and jack cheese
blue cheese dressing and spinach
sun dried tomoto dressing and mozarella cheese
Old 05-16-2008, 04:14 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Peel and cut up a russet or Yukon Gold potato(es). Place in a pan and cover with cold water. Add a healthy amount of salt to the water. Bring the water to a boil and continue to boil gently until the potatoes are cooked through. If you stick a knife into the potato, it should go in easliy and come out without a fuss.

Drain the potatoes and mash them using a ricer (my first choice) or potato masher. Add butter, salt, pepper and cream and mix gently with a spoon or fork.

You can dress up the mashed potatoes by adding sour cream in place of the cream, garlic powder or roasted garlic cloves, chives, grated parmesan cheese. Let you imagination go wild.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:50 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Whoa! I'm serously excited because I plan to make lunch for tomorrow while I'm at work. I work 12 hours on both Saturday and Sunday, so I have to make sure that I have some hardy things to keep me going.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:17 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
One step should be added to Andy M.'s mashed potatoes. After you drain them, put them back into the warm pot and let them dry out a bit.

I don't usually add salt when I cook the potatoes. I usually salt when I add the butter and milk when I mash them.

You can also add fresh chopped chives to the mashed potatoes, too. Yummy. Chopped cooked bacon is good to add, too.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:24 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcald2000 View Post
One of my favorite bars cooks this chicken sandwich on a bread roll. It's a grilled chicken fillet on a roll with mozarella cheese and bacon. My question is: What seasoning do I use on the chicken? I'm a newbie (obviously).
This comes across as a fabulous sandwich just the way it is. If you want to season it, I would go along with Jeff G. and use Emeril's Essence. This is what I use too and it does make a great cutlet. The other method, for my grandkids who love to eat spicy food, is to season the cutlet with Mrs. Dash's Original as it is sauteeing in the pan, then douse the cutlet with Tabasco or Frank's Hot Sauce. Excellent!!! Now top it with the cheese and bacon. Oh my gosh, I'm salivating.

Tags
None