Chicken demi-glace - Quality of the Fond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hopz

Senior Cook
I love chicken stock and keep it in the freezer all the time. I know I can roast raw chicken bones in the oven, then deglaze the pot with water, make a stock etc... but my question is...
Can I roast chicken carcasses that have already been cooked? such as Box chickens from the grocery? Will the fond have the same texture?

Good question. I don't think it would, but I can't say why I think that way. LOL. Big help...sorry. Why don't you give it a go and see what happens? At the worst you will have some chicken soup out of the deal.

The cooked chicken's bones have already been roasted. I guess you can roast them a little more for the color.

I think the best chicken stock comes from a combination of cooked and raw chicken bones, skin and flesh.

I've made a batch of chicken stock from the carcass of a Roast chicken, that I roasted the scraps a second time to caramelize them. It was good.

I use almost 100% pre-cooked chicken scraps for my stock now, but I don't roast them a second time, mainly just to save time, as I start the stock with the bones being frozen.

Yes, that sounds good. We wind up with a box chicken about every other week or so. We eat the meat off, and save the carcass. Boil it up with celery, garlic, carrots, bay leaf and thyme... makes a great smelling soup. Reduce the soup to concentrate and strain into containers for the freezer.

I got onto the roasting bit while reading Bourdains book...

Love to make stock, particularly beef stock (wish we could get veal bones).

And have read many, many recipes and theories. I truly do like to make the stuff.

And have, at times, purchased very old chicken parts, at low prices, just to make stock.

Most of the time just use the remnants of a roast chicken.

Usually that is not enough bones, so we look for quarters for a cheap price (not so easy anymore), will separate the thighs from the drumsticks and use the drumsticks for the stock.

But yes, will re-roast the bones. And add some uncooked bones at times as Andy M said.

We are home cooks and just use what we have. And improvise.

But my answer is you sure can roast the bones, just don't overdo it, and I am sure you will love the stock.

As an aside, think the best cut to make stock from is the wings.

But that guy from the Anchor Bar in Buffalo sure put the end to that.

Rats.

I think that's the birthplace of Buffalo Chicken Wings. As a result, the demand for chicken wings is now up, so supply goes down, and price goes up.

Hopz said:
I love chicken stock and keep it in the freezer all the time. I know I can roast raw chicken bones in the oven, then deglaze the pot with water, make a stock etc... but my question is...
Can I roast chicken carcasses that have already been cooked? such as Box chickens from the grocery? Will the fond have the same texture?
Braising raw meat makes the best fond, from what I've learned. Texture is usually not an issue because it's the intensity of the flavor that's the issue. The roasted chicken is probably best to tear off the bones and use the bones for making broth.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom