Chicken Dinner: Help Me Out!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mylegsbig

Head Chef
Hey guys i have some wild rice w/ herbs here i want to use as a side dish for chicken breast.

i love my new steel skillet and i know how to use it so im ready to deglaze and make a sauce. Here is the style i will be cooking the chicken. about 12 Oz of Boneless skinless chicken breasts.

I will sear it for two minutes on each side on medium high/high

i will then transfer it to a 400 degree oven for 10 minutes to finish.

Okay - What is some sauce i can make for this chicken deglazing this pan? Something to go with herbed wildrice/long grain rice.

Maybe some garlic white whine shallots?

throw me some ideas please. also, techniques. Like, the pan will be VERY HOT from being in the oven so long, do i let it cool? or throw it right on the skillet? What temperature do i put my burner on to deglaze? If it's too hot and i throw garlic on tehre, it will burn up quick. can i deglaze with a wooden instrument or only a steel one? (For scraping up the fond)

Please detail to me how to deglaze using a technique, and give me a good sauce i can make to go with the chicken and rice.

basically i know how this skillet works w/ heat levels and what not for cooking, and ive never used it to deglaze and want to learn how to do it.

thanks in advance. (keep sauce simple if you can)

How about a Marsala.

Either cruise the internet for Chicken Marsala or just deglaze the pan with the wine and make a cream sauce, adding a little lemon juice at the end.

As far as deglazing goes (and I'm not an expert), I want the pan hot enough that the liquid quickly boils and lifts the chunks off the pan without having to scrape it. I wouldn't wait to let the pan cool at all.

as in what components.....cream sauce does that involve a roux? i was trying to stay away from that...... no milk especially

MLB:

I take the pan out of the oven, remove the chicken and add the shallots right away. Medium high heat will be fine. You could also add a handful of sliced mushrooms.

I use a flat wood spatula to deal with the fond. Pretty much any tool will work. After you sauté the shallots and mushrooms for a bit, add the garlic last and continue until you can smell the garlic. Then add the wine to the hot pan and stir to clean the bottom of the pan. Let the wine reduce to half. You can add a little chicken broth for flavor and reduce that as well.

When it comes time to finish the sauce, you have a couple of choices. Add some heavy cream and reduce to thicken. That is, just cook it a little longer until the sauce is thick.

If you don't want cream, take the pan off the heat and whisk in a couple of pats of butter. This will thicken the sauce a little, give it a Nice shine and make it taste really good.

How about deglazing with the white wine and shallots (chopped fine) then finishing with some butter, off the heat?

****, just ate this meal. Came out GOOD. rubbed in olive oil salt and pepper, then seared on MED HIGH for 2 mins, then oven @ 400 degrees for 9 minutes.

for the sauce, did a mix of Andy and Ironchef's suggestion.

took chicken out and threw in some shallots...then tossed in some garlic

let it get aromatic...then i threw in 3 rosemary sprigs and half a cup of white wine.....

scraped off fond, then threw in 1/2 cup of chicken stock.

simmered for 5 mins and covered my chicken and served

my first time to use my skillet to pan - sear then roast, then deglaze and use the fond!

and it was a great success!!!

Wooooo!

Hey guys - Can anyone give me a quick easy recipe using this technique to cook up some nice pork chops?

Thanks for all your help!

Im really starting to be able to hold my own in the kitchen.

Cheers

legsbig

That's great. I'm glad you had a success.

As far as pork chops are concerned, you can do the exact same as the chicken.

Now that you have the process down, you should try different seasonings and combinations to expand your repertoire.

Knowing the process opens doors. Be open to trying new ideas and combinations.

andy, want to use different herbs and a different liquid to deglaze the pan, but i want the technique to be the same

any ideas?

Sage works well with pork. You could try some dry marsala wine or a dry red wine. Did you use either butter or cream to finish the sauce in the chicken dish?

never had marsala win..okay mate im going to do some pork with sage and marsala wine, is that literally what the bottle says? is it a kind of grape?

do i use fresh sage?

About how much sage for 2 good sized pork chops. Have no idea how strong fresh sage is i've never tried it.

for liquid measurements i will be using 1/2 cup wine 1/2 cup broth

prob 6oz pork chops.....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom