"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 02-08-2012, 11:24 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

i've made my own italian seasoning to add to panko before, but recently i found 2 brands of already seasoned panko: progresso and kikkoman.

i'll have to ask dw which she prefers since i have yet to cook with them.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:49 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i've made my own italian seasoning to add to panko before, but recently i found 2 brands of already seasoned panko: progresso and kikkoman.

i'll have to ask dw which she prefers since i have yet to cook with them.
I can't think what I ever did without panko. The first time I ever heard of it - years back - I was working on "perfecting" a crab cakes recipe and no panko was to be found locally. I ordered some on line. The price was $20 and I thought that was PRICEY... but I really wanted it. When the panko arrived, it was in a 20-pound bag. Needless to say, it was enough to make crab cakes until they were indeed perfect, and Italian meat loaf for 200... and I gave away lots in gallon bags. Pretty good value, actually.
Do you share your Italian seasoning?

Old 02-09-2012, 12:25 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

i just eyeball a combo of dried basil, oregano, thyme, savory, and parsley.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:29 AM   #14
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i just eyeball a combo of dried basil, oregano, thyme, savory, and parsley.
ok - thanks.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:47 AM   #15
Executive Chef

I don't know why, but it is very hard, almost impossible to get full muscle chicken fingers in grocery stores around here. I can get them from the foodservice distributors for restaurants, but as was said before not in the stores. Even the companies that specialize in chicken products, like Pinty's which sells to the foodservice industry and the mainstream grocery stores only offers a ground chicken product to the public. Or that is all the major chains carry, for some reason. I should ask a rep someday....
Old 02-09-2012, 12:22 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Chickens don't have fingers. They don't have nuggets either. Well, the roosters do, but thats a different story.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:15 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

I cut my own fingers from boneless chicken breasts. Or we can buy them here. The butcher cuts off that side muscle on the breast. Then they sell them at a ridiculous price. I never buy pre seasoned breaded fingers. You can bet that under those bread crumbs, there is ground meat. In fact, come to think of it, I don't think I have ever seen the breaded ones in my butcher shop. Or in the supermarket where I shop. I don't buy fish sticks either. I have no idea what kind of fish is being used under that breaded covering. I want a whole filet.

I make my own bread covering and use the egg and bread with a small amount of breadcrumbs, flour, salt and pepper, and Italian seasoning system. It is a simple and fast method of having small pieces on chicken without the bones. Sometimes I make the breadcrumbs with a few slices of white bread run through the food processor and then season them.

Tags
buttermilk, chicken, chicken fingers, panko