"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 06-10-2016, 10:44 PM   #1
Master Chef

Chicken for One

Have you ever found yourself home alone, and just didn't want a Swanson's Pot Pie, or pizza on French bread, or Ramen noodles? That's the state I was in last night and this evening. DW went into the hospital last Friday with her femur broken just about her titanium knee. The were five pieces that had to be put back together, complete with plates and screw to hold it all together. I've been batch'n it for a week. So, Wednsday night I made Swedish meatballs; last night I made baked salmon, and tonight was seasoned chicken night.

Remember that discussion where chicken was to be dusted with flour, then baked? That's what I did, just to find out what it would be like. I didn't want to throw away a bunch of seasoned flour after I was done coating the chicken, either. Here's what I used, and how I did it. Oh, and did I say that it was wonderful?

I'm not going to be able to give you measurements here. But I can approximate.

1 large chicken thigh.
1/8 tsp. ground sage
1/8 tsp. ground thyme
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. granulated garlic powder
1/8 tsp. granulated onion powder
2 dashes cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp, freshly ground pepper
Dash of ginger
1 tbs AP flour
1 tbs. softened butter

Preheat oven to 425' F., or get your convection oven ready.
Place all seasonings into a pint-zipper bag, along with the flour. Close and shake vigorously. Place chicken thigh into the bag and shake until the chicken is coated on every side.

Place parchment paper inside a baking pan. Place chicken on top of the paper, inner thigh side down, and put into the oven. Convection bake for 35 minutes. Oven bake for 45 min. Remove the chicken from the oven and gently break butter into 3 chunks. Place on top of the thigh. Return to the oven for seven more minutes to cripsy up the skin and coating. Remove and let rest. Serve with baked beans that you happen to have made a huge batch of and frozen in individual servings. Warm the beans before eating.

This wasn't as elegant as last night's salmon, but it sure was tasty, and there was virtually no wasted flour or seasonings. I call that a win-win.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:54 PM   #2
Head Chef

Your food sounds very inviting. I'm sorry your wife is going through so much right now, that must be very difficult for you too. Bless you.

Old 06-10-2016, 10:55 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Sounds great, Chief.

But I want to hear about how your DW is doing. Crud, sometimes you can't win for losing. Hopefully you were able to bring her a taste of your nice chicken!
Old 06-11-2016, 12:06 AM   #4
Master Chef

DW is in a lot of pain, and won't be able to put any weight on her right leg for three months. She broke her right thigh in five pieces. The doctor who operated on her, thankfully, is an artist at his work. We've heard nothing but good things about the man. Her left leg doesn't have the strength to carry her by itself, at least not in getting to her feet. She's supposed to go to a rehab center, but our insurance will only pay 60% of the cost, which could be up to $240 per day. I am currently looking at other accident insurance that we have, as well as checking into Social Security disability, Medicaid qualification, and Michigan assistance agencies. I have to build a ramp to our front door tomorrow so that If she has to come home, we can get her into the house with a wheel chair. How we are going to get her from the hospital to our home is still a puzzle. She won't be able to get in or out of our car. All I can do is pray, and trust in my our faith, and some good friends, and maybe some family who live about twenty minutes away.

This is a tough one. We could use your prayers and good thoughts. Trying to stay positive. Doing pretty good so far.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 06-11-2016, 12:09 AM   #5
Senior Cook

You got it Chief.
Old 06-11-2016, 01:01 AM   #6
Master Chef

Never mind about that tasty sounding chicken, Chief, I have no appetite after reading about your DH. Praying for both of you with this new speed bump in your road. Hang in there.
Old 06-11-2016, 06:23 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Chief, call some of the agencies that service elderly folks. They usually have vans with a lift. If they won't let you borrow it, then you may be able to make arrangements for them to bring her home for you.

And definitely look into SS disability for your wife. She won't be eligible for Medicare until she is 65. But at least it is a start. She may be able to receive a disability check on her own work record or even your income if you are presently collecting. And definitely look into your State Medicaid Program. Even though it is run by the State, it is funded by the Federal Govt. You may have a small co-pay if you are still working. In this state it is never more than $1.00. It definitely will help pay for her meds and other medical treatment and medical equipment she may need.

When you do start to collect your SS, her check will be increased to a percentage of yours.

Be prepared for a waiting period before you get a ruling from SS. For Medicaid coverage, most states have a stated length of time when they have to make a decision and notify you. The Social Worker at the hospital can advise you further and assist you further with the filing. In Massachusetts we have a 30 day period and then we had better hear from them. Although when I applied for Medicaid, I was approved immediately and no one notified me. I could have raised a stink, but decided against it. When I had to stop working I was already receiving Medicare, and it was the hospital that notified me of already having Medicaid.

Make an appointment as soon as possible. That department can be invaluable when keeping you up to date. They know all the rules and laws and the ins and outs of the system. It may be that your wife is already covered by Medicaid due to her last lengthy stay there. I am pretty sure your insurance only covered the cost partially and the hospital applied for the balance from the State.

You may need hers and your SS card, picture ID's and a copy of your insurance policy showing what medical costs are covered. DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS. Make copies of everything. Also go online to your State Government Site and you can get a plethora of information there. Or so I thought. Your state site for Medicaid is very confusing.

I can't tell you how many of the residents I have helped here in this building to getting what they are entitled to. I usually have them come to my apartment and I fill the application on line and file it right there. I scan their documents into my computer and send them along also with the application. I also print out a copy of their documents for them to have incase someone else asks for them. After 60 days, I delete all their information from my computer.

Good luck. Hope this info has been helpful to you. Been there, done that, too many times to count.
Old 06-11-2016, 10:17 AM   #8
Master Chef

Addie, thanks for the info. And thank the rest of you for caring and your support. As for the nicer meals, that's what I'm using to wind down after worrying about DW, and my responsibilities at work. I've taken the next week off so that I can devote my full attention to her. Before this all happened, I had made arrangements to prepare a meal for our two visiting missionaries for today. I will still do that, and maybe they can assist me in building the ramp. It will work our with hard work, and the assistance of my Heavenly Father. I know we aren't supposed to talk about such things here, but I have to rely on His blessings right now.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Old 06-11-2016, 11:31 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Chief,
Talk to the hospital social worker. They can be a fantastic resource.
Old 06-11-2016, 01:58 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Chief, I'm sorry to hear about what happened to your DW. My MIL is in a nursing home and there's a medical transport service that brings her to her home occasionally for visits. There may be something like that near you. The staff at the rehab center should be able to help you with that. Best wishes to you both

Tags
chicken, chicken thigh, flour, garlic, onion, pepper, recipe, sage, salt, thyme

Chicken for One Have you ever found yourself home alone, and just didn't want a Swanson's Pot Pie, or pizza on French bread, or Ramen noodles? That's the state I was in last night and this evening. DW went into the hospital last Friday with her femur broken just about her titanium knee. The were five pieces that had to be put back together, complete with plates and screw to hold it all together. I've been batch'n it for a week. So, Wednsday night I made Swedish meatballs; last night I made baked salmon, and tonight was seasoned chicken night. Remember that discussion where chicken was to be dusted with flour, then baked? That's what I did, just to find out what it would be like. I didn't want to throw away a bunch of seasoned flour after I was done coating the chicken, either. Here's what I used, and how I did it. Oh, and did I say that it was wonderful? I'm not going to be able to give you measurements here. But I can approximate. 1 large chicken thigh. 1/8 tsp. ground sage 1/8 tsp. ground thyme 1/4 tsp. salt 1/8 tsp. granulated garlic powder 1/8 tsp. granulated onion powder 2 dashes cayenne pepper 1/4 tsp, freshly ground pepper Dash of ginger 1 tbs AP flour 1 tbs. softened butter Preheat oven to 425' F., or get your convection oven ready. Place all seasonings into a pint-zipper bag, along with the flour. Close and shake vigorously. Place chicken thigh into the bag and shake until the chicken is coated on every side. Place parchment paper inside a baking pan. Place chicken on top of the paper, inner thigh side down, and put into the oven. Convection bake for 35 minutes. Oven bake for 45 min. Remove the chicken from the oven and gently break butter into 3 chunks. Place on top of the thigh. Return to the oven for seven more minutes to cripsy up the skin and coating. Remove and let rest. Serve with baked beans that you happen to have made a huge batch of and frozen in individual servings. Warm the beans before eating.:wink: This wasn't as elegant as last night's salmon, but it sure was tasty, and there was virtually no wasted flour or seasonings. I call that a win-win. Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North 3 stars 1 reviews