"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 03-26-2008, 10:35 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
This is what I'm referring to.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:55 PM   #22
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
never had that kind. Does it taste like feta?

Old 03-26-2008, 02:04 PM   #23
Senior Cook

Location: NJ for the moment, heading south next spring to be with my family.
if you put the chicken between two pieces of plastic wrap and put it on the counter, then spray or wet the plastic on top, whack it with a heavy pan with a smooth bottom. Works well, and helps keep the chicken from tearing.

As for recipes...
flour, then egg, then any kind of bread crumb/seasoning mix youd like. Put a few cups of bread crumbs in a bowl and season until they taste the way you want!

For stuffed breasts, I pound them flat, and marinate them. While they are sitting in the marinade, I cook up a nice amount of spinach, and once it's cooked down, I'll add 2-3 cloves of garlic, half a diced onion, and about a pint of heavy cream, and a touch of lemon juice and cook it all down. The I lay the mixture onto the breasts and roll them up. I put them into a pyrex, coat with parmesan and cheddar cheese and bake at 350 until done.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:17 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT72884 View Post
never had that kind. Does it taste like feta?
No, it's soft and creamy and crumbly, with a sweet, mild flavor, similar to fresh mozzarella. Here a pic of a spinach and goat cheese salad:
Spinach Salad with Goat Cheese, Candied Pecans, and Sherry Bacon Dressing
Old 03-26-2008, 02:21 PM   #25
Head Chef

mmmm, soft and creamy
Old 03-27-2008, 12:40 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT72884 View Post
Ok three questions here.,

1) this is a dumb question but no matter how hard i try i ant seem to pound the chicken breast to a 1/4 inch thick with just a meat hammer. Any tips for smashing meat would be nice?
As already mentioned, I use two pieces of plastic wrap (actually, one LONG piece folded in half). I make "glancing blows" as well. I'll have to take a pic of my meat tenderizer and post it. It's huge, and one solid piece of 1/2" thick 18/10 stainless steel. Ye Olde Traditional Blunt Instrument.
Quote:
2) Simple and very tasty breaded chicken thighs? what is best to use? is shake n bake good or is there any one with some good homemade seasonings for breading chicken and baking it to make it very crsipy?
Standard breading procedure is flour, egg wash, then a final breading ingredient. That can be flour, cornmeal, masa harina, panko bread crumbs, crushed rice crispies, crushed cornflakes, etc. Most restaurants use panko bread crumbs.
Quote:
3) simple stuffed chicken breast and or thighs and flank steak?
Do you know how to make a basic mushroom duxelles? It's a really good stuffing ingredient. Stuff the chicken, brown it in a pan, place the breasts in a baking dish, jack the heat up to high, add some onions and mushrooms, saute just until they start to color and get limp, remove and cover the chicken with the onion/mushroom mix, reduce the heat, deglaze with chicken stock and/or white wine, and add some cream of chicken soup. Cover the chicken with the sauce, cover the pan with foil, and bake at 350 degrees F for an hour. MMMMMMMMMMMM! My wife has been hinting that she wants this soon.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:50 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

hey, i LIKE shake-n-bake. but only on pork. yeah it's salty and i'm pretty sensitive to salt since i cut it way back in my diet, but once in a while it's a hypertensive treat. ya have to cut it with applesauce though (on the s-n-b'd pork chops.)

lt, my wife makes excellent breaded baked chicken thighs using kelloggs corn flake crumbs. she soaks the thighs in milk, then tosses them in the crumbs that have been mixed with a tsp of seasoned salt. then, put them into a glass baking dish, and spray lightly with pam, evoo, or drizzle on a little melted butter. then bake at 350 for about a half hour.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 01:57 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

cooked pork chops last night for dinner. flour,egg,panko . for the first time in a long time, i got a crispy, moist chop.

used olive oil and med heat. delicious oh yes sprinkled with seasoned salt(very) small amount. also used a lot of pepper.

babe
Old 03-27-2008, 02:46 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenOK View Post
Standard breading procedure is flour, egg wash, then a final breading ingredient. That can be flour, cornmeal, masa harina, panko bread crumbs, crushed rice crispies, crushed cornflakes, etc. Most restaurants use panko bread crumbs.
LT, you can add any seasonings you like to the flour or breading layers Allen described. Fresh or dried herbs (thyme and sage are a favorite combo of mine), Parmesan cheese, ground nuts, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, onions powder, paprika, taco seasoning, Cajun seasoning, Italian seasoning, Greek seasoning, etc., etc. 1 to 2 teaspoons of seasoning per cup of flour should work. HTH.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:00 PM   #30
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
LT, you can add any seasonings you like to the flour or breading layers Allen described. Fresh or dried herbs (thyme and sage are a favorite combo of mine), Parmesan cheese, ground nuts, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, onions powder, paprika, taco seasoning, Cajun seasoning, Italian seasoning, Greek seasoning, etc., etc. 1 to 2 teaspoons of seasoning per cup of flour should work. HTH.
it sure does. im thinkin of stuffin chicken with feta and basil and breading with greek seasonings

Tags
None