Chicken help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
if you put the chicken between two pieces of plastic wrap and put it on the counter, then spray or wet the plastic on top, whack it with a heavy pan with a smooth bottom. Works well, and helps keep the chicken from tearing.

As for recipes...
flour, then egg, then any kind of bread crumb/seasoning mix youd like. Put a few cups of bread crumbs in a bowl and season until they taste the way you want!

For stuffed breasts, I pound them flat, and marinate them. While they are sitting in the marinade, I cook up a nice amount of spinach, and once it's cooked down, I'll add 2-3 cloves of garlic, half a diced onion, and about a pint of heavy cream, and a touch of lemon juice and cook it all down. The I lay the mixture onto the breasts and roll them up. I put them into a pyrex, coat with parmesan and cheddar cheese and bake at 350 until done.

Ok three questions here.,

1) this is a dumb question but no matter how hard i try i ant seem to pound the chicken breast to a 1/4 inch thick with just a meat hammer. Any tips for smashing meat would be nice?
As already mentioned, I use two pieces of plastic wrap (actually, one LONG piece folded in half). I make "glancing blows" as well. I'll have to take a pic of my meat tenderizer and post it. It's huge, and one solid piece of 1/2" thick 18/10 stainless steel. Ye Olde Traditional Blunt Instrument.
2) Simple and very tasty breaded chicken thighs? what is best to use? is shake n bake good or is there any one with some good homemade seasonings for breading chicken and baking it to make it very crsipy?
Standard breading procedure is flour, egg wash, then a final breading ingredient. That can be flour, cornmeal, masa harina, panko bread crumbs, crushed rice crispies, crushed cornflakes, etc. Most restaurants use panko bread crumbs.
3) simple stuffed chicken breast and or thighs and flank steak?
Do you know how to make a basic mushroom duxelles? It's a really good stuffing ingredient. Stuff the chicken, brown it in a pan, place the breasts in a baking dish, jack the heat up to high, add some onions and mushrooms, saute just until they start to color and get limp, remove and cover the chicken with the onion/mushroom mix, reduce the heat, deglaze with chicken stock and/or white wine, and add some cream of chicken soup. Cover the chicken with the sauce, cover the pan with foil, and bake at 350 degrees F for an hour. MMMMMMMMMMMM! My wife has been hinting that she wants this soon.

hey, i LIKE shake-n-bake. but only on pork. yeah it's salty and i'm pretty sensitive to salt since i cut it way back in my diet, but once in a while it's a hypertensive treat. ya have to cut it with applesauce though (on the s-n-b'd pork chops.)

lt, my wife makes excellent breaded baked chicken thighs using kelloggs corn flake crumbs. she soaks the thighs in milk, then tosses them in the crumbs that have been mixed with a tsp of seasoned salt. then, put them into a glass baking dish, and spray lightly with pam, evoo, or drizzle on a little melted butter. then bake at 350 for about a half hour.

cooked pork chops last night for dinner. flour,egg,panko . for the first time in a long time, i got a crispy, moist chop.

used olive oil and med heat. delicious oh yes sprinkled with seasoned salt(very) small amount. also used a lot of pepper.

babe:chef:

Standard breading procedure is flour, egg wash, then a final breading ingredient. That can be flour, cornmeal, masa harina, panko bread crumbs, crushed rice crispies, crushed cornflakes, etc. Most restaurants use panko bread crumbs.

LT, you can add any seasonings you like to the flour or breading layers Allen described. Fresh or dried herbs (thyme and sage are a favorite combo of mine), Parmesan cheese, ground nuts, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, onions powder, paprika, taco seasoning, Cajun seasoning, Italian seasoning, Greek seasoning, etc., etc. 1 to 2 teaspoons of seasoning per cup of flour should work. HTH.

LT, you can add any seasonings you like to the flour or breading layers Allen described. Fresh or dried herbs (thyme and sage are a favorite combo of mine), Parmesan cheese, ground nuts, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, onions powder, paprika, taco seasoning, Cajun seasoning, Italian seasoning, Greek seasoning, etc., etc. 1 to 2 teaspoons of seasoning per cup of flour should work. HTH.

it sure does. im thinkin of stuffin chicken with feta and basil and breading with greek seasonings

I can see why LT would not want to stuff chicken with Ekte Gjetost cheese now that I know what it is.

yeah that stuff is nasty. Cheese should not have a fudge like texture and taste like carmeled milk. Its more of a texture like fudge mixed with peanut butter.

Whenever i hear goat cheese, this is the first cheese that comes to me mind.

For chicken marsalla I don't use a tenderizing hammer. A basic french rolling pin straight round no handles it is like a 2' diameter wooden dowel or a mini baseball bat. Slice open a heavy grade 1 gallon freezer bag along the seams. then put the boneless chicken breast on half fold the other half over and start swating. The rounded pin helps spread the meat out not just crush. The heavy weight of the plastic survives all the pounding and you can move pieces in the plastic easily as they don't stick to it. Found that the end can equal the face of a mallet if you have to work a firmer spot. It is easy to spin a piece in the plastic to hit from all directions. I pound on a cutting board close to the edge of the counter to avoid having my fingers between the pin and counter top.

oneoffour I am curious, why do you slice the bag open? Why not just put the chicken in the bag without sealing it?

oneoffour I am curious, why do you slice the bag open? Why not just put the chicken in the bag without sealing it?
Thanks for asking GB,
As it thins out it sticks to the plastic as I learned the first time I did it. On that first time I tried to pull the chicken out of the bag it was so thin it pulled apart. Now I slice the freezer bag open along the seams so I can separate the plastic from the chicken as one would the back of contact paper. Handling by the plastic the chicken can be gently placed either in flour or onto a piece of wax paper for easy further handling.

For chicken marsalla I don't use a tenderizing hammer. A basic french rolling pin straight round no handles it is like a 2' diameter wooden dowel or a mini baseball bat. Slice open a heavy grade 1 gallon freezer bag along the seams. then put the boneless chicken breast on half fold the other half over and start swating. The rounded pin helps spread the meat out not just crush. The heavy weight of the plastic survives all the pounding and you can move pieces in the plastic easily as they don't stick to it. Found that the end can equal the face of a mallet if you have to work a firmer spot. It is easy to spin a piece in the plastic to hit from all directions. I pound on a cutting board close to the edge of the counter to avoid having my fingers between the pin and counter top.
so how do you prevent all the juices and water from splashing out the cut seems?

Thanks for asking GB,
As it thins out it sticks to the plastic as I learned the first time I did it. On that first time I tried to pull the chicken out of the bag it was so thin it pulled apart. Now I slice the freezer bag open along the seams so I can separate the plastic from the chicken as one would the back of contact paper. Handling by the plastic the chicken can be gently placed either in flour or onto a piece of wax paper for easy further handling.
That makes perfect sense!

so how do you prevent all the juices and water from splashing out the cut seems?

Wow you have me on that! Maybe I just haven't had liquidy chicken breasts? The source I have is a local farm. The chickens are free range birds. I place an order for 20 lbs of either breasts or legs and two weeks later they are killed and butcherd and I pickup that afternoon.
Fresh or thawed they are't splashing juices. Hmm the bag does get a little wet but the plastic so extends beyond the meat that it is moistend shut enough that it won't squirt.

Before I found out about the farm I was using breasts from the local Giant supermarket. I am thinking by having them on a plate by the board I just never thought about the juices on the plate being the excess that you maybe asking about.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom