"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 08-16-2005, 12:44 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to bluespanishsky
Chicken Help Please!!

Hi...

I've been a lurker here for awhile now, and have a chicken question for anyone willing to help!

I've been a semi-vegetarian since I was 16, so 10 years now. I just started eating fish about a year ago. My boyfriend is a meat eater, and I'm trying to learn some meat dishes for him. I've made him a flank steak and sweedish meatballs, but I can't figure out chicken. I don't have an outdoor grill, (we have an old george foreman) and I don't really know how to get started. We eat pretty healthy, we avoid fried foods, and he mostly eats boneless, skinless chicken breasts.

Last week I expereimented with chicken cutlets and breaded and fried them in olive oil (this frying was an exception becuse I didn't know what else to do to make sure it was cooked!) He really liked them, but this is not something I can make often, and will make it again only as a special treat.

Tonight I got a chicken breast and marinated it in some EVOO, red wine vinegar, red pepper flakes and some thyme. I then attempted to cook it up in a skillet, but it turned out a bit dry for him.

I'd love to get some ideas of some easy ways to cook up chicken for my sweetie. Thanks in advance for the help.

-n

Old 08-16-2005, 01:00 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
this looks pretty easy for a beginner like yourself.
good luck bluespanishsky

Easy Parmesan Garlic Chicken Recipe

Old 08-16-2005, 09:22 AM   #3
Head Chef

I like to put my chicken into a brine before cooking. Just take 1/4 cup sugar and 1 1/2 t. salt and pour in 1/2 cup really hot water. Let the sugar and salt melt. Now pour in 7 1/2 cups cold water and submerge chicken for 45 minutes. This will keep the chicken moist while cooking.

Don't be afraid to make a small cut into the chicken breast to see if it is done. It will be done when you don't see any more pink.

Here is one of my favorite chicken recipes.

REC...Roasted Chicken with Balsamic Vinaigrette
Old 08-16-2005, 09:32 AM   #4
Master Chef

Here are tons of easy chicken recipes. Check it out!

http://www.campbellkitchen.com/Recip...px?searchText=
Old 08-16-2005, 09:38 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluespanishsky
... Tonight I got a chicken breast and ... then attempted to cook it up in a skillet, but it turned out a bit dry for him.
For years I avoided cooking chicken breasts because they always turned out dry. After consistently getting good chicken in restaurants, I finally decided that dryness was not a characteristic of chicken breasts when they are cooked the proper amount of time.

If your chicken breast cooked in a moderately hot skillet for more than around nine minutes total, it was most likely overcooked.

The next time you cook chicken breasts, be mindful of the cooking time. At around eight minutes into the cooking, stick a thermometer into the thickest part. I would quote the correct temperature, but have forgotten since my thermometer has a "cooked chicken" mark on it.

Good luck,
Tom
Old 08-16-2005, 09:43 AM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

Like abjcooking, I like to brine my chicken before cooking. This will help with the dryness. I make my brine a bit differently though. Neither way is wrong. There are many ways to make a brine just like making a marinade.

For my brine I go very basic and I don't measure anything. I take a tall container and fill it about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way with COLD water. I then add salt. I don't measure, but I try to get it to taste "pleasantly salty". When you taste it you should not want to spit it out because it is so salty. Sometimes I add a few tablespoons of soy sauce, but usually I just go with salt and water. I then add the chicken. I usually cook boneless breasts and for those I like to brine them for two hours. I find this is the perfect amount of time for me. You could go three hours if you wanted, but any longer than that (for boneless breasts at least) and the texture of the meat will start to get gross.

What ever brining method you use, make sure to put the chicken and brine in the fridge for however long you are letting it sit. If you use abjcooking's method of starting with hot water then make sure the water is COLD before putting the chicken in.

The other way to keep you chicken moist and juicy is to watch the temperature. The reason your chicken came out too dry is that it was overcooked (most likely). I find the perfect temp for chicken is 165. The best way to tell when it is done is to use a thermometer. A probe thermometer is the best as you put the probe in the breast at the beginning of the cooking process and leave it there. Most probe thermometers have an alarm that you can set to go off at the desired temp. Once you hear the alarm, your chicken is done. There probe thermometers cost around $20 and are an invaluable tool in the kitchen. Polder is a good brand to look for.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:29 AM   #7
Master Chef

Brining your chicken is a pretty foolproof way to make sure it's moist.

And I agree that overcooking is the most likely cause of a dry chix breast.

Did you know you can "oven fry" chicken ?

Take a chicken cutlet or breat and dust it with some flour (seasoned to your taste), then dip it in egg (again, seasoned if you like with mustard, hot sauce, worcestershire, soy sauce, etc), then coat with some kind of coarser crumb, like bread crumbs, crumbled cereal, panko, or what i like best: crushed melba toasts (this last coat should also be seasoned unless you want a very bland product).

Pour about 1-2T of oil on a foil lined baking sheet. Rub it around so that the sheet is evenly coated with just a little oil. Lay the chicken on the sheet. Bake in a 425 oven for 15 minutes. Take out and turn over. Return to oven till done (this will depend on thickness/size of the chicken and whether it's on the bone, etc. USE a meat thermometer)
Old 08-17-2005, 12:18 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to bluespanishsky
Thank you all for the tips and recipes! I will try it again next week!! :-)

P.S. Thanks for not laughing, I know it sounds ridiculous not to know how to cook chicken!!!
Old 08-17-2005, 12:22 AM   #9
Chief Eating Officer

Nope it doesn't sound ridiculous at all. No one is born with the knowledge of how to cook chicken or anything else for that matter. The way you learn is by doing it and asking questions and making mistakes. Before you know it you will be eating delicious juicy chicken Let us know how your next attempt turns out.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:41 AM   #10
Master Chef

Chicken is actually pretty tricky to get right!

Tags
None