"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 12-03-2011, 03:21 PM   #11
Head Chef

My first instinct in thinking about adapting from beef as ingredient to chicken is that chicken just doesn't naturally produce the depth of flavor from browning that beef does. So I start thinking about deepening the chicken flavor by reducing the stock first and selecting herbs to enhance chicken, which to me, immediately suggests sage, and I consider MSG. And I agree to leave out the Worcestershire. Too strong for chicken. A touch of bitters, instead, would be okay.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:20 AM   #12
Senior Cook

Many thanks everyone :)

Old 12-04-2011, 08:39 AM   #13
Master Chef

Cut up chicken breasts that have already been browned will cook in about 5 min. If you cook it longer it will just dry out.

What about thighs? They are cheaper and hold up to longer cooking times.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:00 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Yeah I was thinking about thighs, open to try anything really.

I want to make this tomorrow, which I love, with chicken breasts. How would I alter the recipe cooking time? When to add chicken, if I should brown it first etc... Would love it if anyone could help.
http://www.britishturkey.co.uk/recip...e.php?code=211
Old 12-04-2011, 01:36 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezlehan View Post
Yeah I was thinking about thighs, open to try anything really.

I want to make this tomorrow, which I love, with chicken breasts. How would I alter the recipe cooking time? When to add chicken, if I should brown it first etc... Would love it if anyone could help.
British Turkey recipe -- Spiced Turkey Stew
Chicken breasts don't do well in stews or braises. They are very lean and cook very quickly. They not only don't benefit from long cooking, it wrecks them. They dry out.

I'd use thighs in the recipe above.

I'd use whole ones, browned first and cook for maybe 45 min
Old 12-04-2011, 01:38 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Chicken breasts don't do well in stews or braises. They are very lean and cook very quickly. They not only don't benefit from long cooking, it wrecks them. They dry out.

I'd use thighs in the recipe above.

I'd use whole ones, browned first and cook for maybe 45 min
Thank you! What would it be like if I browned the breasts first, then added for say the last 5 minutes if I cooked the above recipe on the stove? Basically, the sauce that that recipe makes is delicious in my opinion, and I just want to have it with chicken breasts.
So could I make that sauce on the stove, then add browned chicken breast pieces for 5 minutes or so?
Old 12-04-2011, 02:14 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezlehan

Thank you! What would it be like if I browned the breasts first, then added for say the last 5 minutes if I cooked the above recipe on the stove? Basically, the sauce that that recipe makes is delicious in my opinion, and I just want to have it with chicken breasts.
So could I make that sauce on the stove, then add browned chicken breast pieces for 5 minutes or so?
Sounds like a plan, Kezlehan!
Old 12-04-2011, 02:56 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Yeah, that sounds like a plan. I've made dishes with chicken breast that called for it to be cut, seasoned, cooked, removed, then added back at the end.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:14 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezlehan View Post
Yes .... But ...

It's not good food safety practice to partially cook chicken and then let it sit, even in the fridge. It's fine if it's like 15 min or so. I'm not sure how long the sauce cooks for but if it's for longer you might consider browning the chicken at the end rather than the beginning. You can deglaze the pan and add to the sauce.

Breasts will totally work this way.

I'm not the hugest fan of thighs but they can cook in the sauce which deepens the flavor of both the bird and the sauce.

Let us know how it turns out !
Old 12-04-2011, 05:14 PM   #20
Senior Cook

I agree that chicken thighs or drumsticks would be tastier and less expensive. If you like, you may pull the skin off the thighs (it is less expensive to buy thighs with skin on and pull it off yourself than buy skinless thighs). Dredge the chicken in seasoned flour and brown. Put a little of your favorite pasta sauce on the bottom of a casserole, add the chicken pieces and more sauce. Cover and bake at about 325 degrees F until chicken is tender and almost falls off the bone. Uncover, add some grated cheese and cook a few more minutes uncovered until cheese is browned ( may have to increase oven temperature a little). Serve over cooked noodles, rice, baked potatoes, or polenta.

Tags
chicken, other