"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 09-25-2007, 11:47 AM   #11
Master Chef

I usually just bake very simple chicken and the make mushroom gravy and poor it over the chicken before serving. I can tell you my recipe too. But it is just regulal gravy. If interested let me know.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:15 PM   #12
Master Chef

Here's a favorite I've been making for over 30 years now. While it's probably not exactly what you're looking for, it seems to fit a lot of the bill - & it is absolutely delicious & easy to put together. I've served it to company with rave reviews.

Chicken Parisienne

One pkge. (usually containing 2-3) bone-in, skin-on, split chicken breasts
One can Cream of Mushroom soup (the regular condensed version, NOT the "healthy no-fat" one)
1/2 to 3/4 soup-can of dry sherry
One can mushroom pieces, drained, OR one 8 oz. pkge. fresh button mushrooms, cleaned & sliced
One 8 oz. container sour cream
freshly ground black pepper
paprika

Preheat oven to 350.

In a pan large enough to hold all sauce ingredients, saute fresh mushrooms (if using) until brown & tender. Remove from heat. Stir in can of soup, & use soup can to measure in 1/2-3/4 can of dry sherry. Stir to combine. (If using canned mushrooms, just drain & combine with other ingredients in saucepan.)

Place chicken pieces skin-side down in greased baking dish & pour sauce mixture over (reserving saucepan to reheat sauce later). Place in center of oven & bake for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, turn chicken pieces skin side up & continue to bake until done (depending on the size of the pieces, another 20-30 minutes).

When done, turn off oven, remove chicken pieces to a plate, & scrape sauce & juices back into the reserved saucepan. Place chicken back into baking dish & back into turned off oven with door ajar to keep warm.

Meanwhile, over medium/low heat, add sour cream to sauce in saucepan & heat just until warmed through. (Overheating or boiling will cause sour cream to curdle. Won't affect the taste, just won't look as nice.)

Serve chicken with white rice - both with sauce poured over & sprinkled with a little paprika & freshly ground pepper to taste - along with plain boiled buttered baby carrots & a green salad.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:46 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Here's one that I did early this year:

Allen’s Duxelle Stuffed Baked Chicken Breasts
Yields: 8 servings

For the Duxelle:
4 – 5 large mushrooms, ~ 2 oz
¼ c chopped onions
1 t minced garlic
-or- 1 – 2 T Roasted Garlic Puree
1 T oil
Salt and pepper to taste
¼ c bread crumbs
For the Chicken:
8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Salt
Pepper
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Thyme
Sage
One 12 oz can Cream of Mushroom Soup
¼ c chicken stock
Oil for sautéing

For the duxelle; in a food processor, combine the mushrooms, onions, and garlic. Process until finely minced. Heat a sauté pan and add the oil. Sauté the duxelle mixture until soft, then season with salt and pepper to taste. Off the heat, mix in the bread crumbs.
To stuff the breasts, lay each breast out flat, and using a thin, sharp knife, slide the blade into the thickest part of the breast, making the cut lengthways, parallel to the cutting board, and not poking through the sides. You want a long, thin, “pocket”, with the only hole being at the thick end. Hold the breast up, so the thin part hangs down, the opening faces up, and stuff with enough of the duxelle to fill the pocket, but not to “burst the seams”. This is easily done by hand when the mixture is cold, however, if you have a piping bag, you can pipe the warm duxelle into the chicken.
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Season the chicken to taste with the salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, and sage. Heat a sauté pan with some oil. Brown the chicken breasts, and arrange in a 9 x 13” baking pan. Deglaze the skillet with chicken stock, then add the cream of mushroom soup. Bring to a simmer, stirring to make the sauce smooth. Once it’s smooth, pour the sauce over the chicken. Cover with foil, and place in the oven. Bake for 1 hour.
NOTE: You need to check the temperature of the stuffing with a probe thermometer. The stuffing needs to reach 165°F to eliminate any risk of salmonella.

You can forget the part about the duxelle. Just slice up some fresh mushrooms, and some onions/shallots, and add a little garlic. Once the chicken is browned, add the mushrooms, onions/shallots, and garlic. Saute for a few minutes, then follow the directions for the sauce. Finish the recipe as stated.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:13 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenOK View Post
Here's one that I did early this year:

Allen’s Duxelle Stuffed Baked Chicken Breasts
Yields: 8 servings

For the Duxelle:
4 – 5 large mushrooms, ~ 2 oz
¼ c chopped onions
1 t minced garlic
-or- 1 – 2 T Roasted Garlic Puree
1 T oil
Salt and pepper to taste
¼ c bread crumbs
For the Chicken:
8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Salt
Pepper
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Thyme
Sage
One 12 oz can Cream of Mushroom Soup
¼ c chicken stock
Oil for sautéing

For the duxelle; in a food processor, combine the mushrooms, onions, and garlic. Process until finely minced. Heat a sauté pan and add the oil. Sauté the duxelle mixture until soft, then season with salt and pepper to taste. Off the heat, mix in the bread crumbs.
To stuff the breasts, lay each breast out flat, and using a thin, sharp knife, slide the blade into the thickest part of the breast, making the cut lengthways, parallel to the cutting board, and not poking through the sides. You want a long, thin, “pocket”, with the only hole being at the thick end. Hold the breast up, so the thin part hangs down, the opening faces up, and stuff with enough of the duxelle to fill the pocket, but not to “burst the seams”. This is easily done by hand when the mixture is cold, however, if you have a piping bag, you can pipe the warm duxelle into the chicken.
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Season the chicken to taste with the salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, and sage. Heat a sauté pan with some oil. Brown the chicken breasts, and arrange in a 9 x 13” baking pan. Deglaze the skillet with chicken stock, then add the cream of mushroom soup. Bring to a simmer, stirring to make the sauce smooth. Once it’s smooth, pour the sauce over the chicken. Cover with foil, and place in the oven. Bake for 1 hour.
NOTE: You need to check the temperature of the stuffing with a probe thermometer. The stuffing needs to reach 165°F to eliminate any risk of salmonella.
That sounds great..... although I don't think I would process the mushrooms. I think a small dice would suffice..
Old 09-27-2007, 07:37 AM   #15
Cook

chave982: You could do it without a bullion cube but we like the taste with it. People I know make it without it too.

velochic: We haven't had any issues with toughness at all (been making it in family for years now). Probably because the cooking process is very very quick. The chicken hardly takes any time to cook being in strips and mushroom and onion cooks very quickly so again very quick. I think the whole dish takes maybe 15 minutes on the stove. You just basically brown the chicken a bit so its nearly cooked and whilst the onions and mushrooms are cooking the rest of it cooks.

moonwater: glad to have helped. It's my first time giving someone else a recipe :)
Old 09-27-2007, 07:42 AM   #16
Cook

Thanks a lot, everyone. I am definitely on the right track now, that's for sure. I have to try all of these!

Tags
None