Chicken Khorma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kansasgirl

Senior Cook
Hey Yakuta or anyone else - what is your recipe for Chicken Khorma? I figure yours is more authentic than mine. I would love for you to post!

Hello

Chicken is made in many ways depending on the region.
In north India it is made in the following style.

I kg chicken cleaned and cut into pieces.
3-4 onions chopped
4 medium sized tomatoes chopped
Ginger and garlic accoording to taste(approx 4-5 cloves garlic 1inch piece of ginger)
1 cup plain yogurt

3-4 pieces of cardamom
1 piece of cinnamon stick
1 tea sp cumin seeds

Oil 2 tb. sp.(any of your choice) or butter
Salt and pepper to taste
Turmeric 1/2 tea spoon
Garam Masala 2 tea sp. (you can get it in any indian store) If not available do not worry

Heat oil / butter in a heavy bottom pan. Add cumin seeds, cardamom and cinnamon. Fry for a minute.
Next add the chopped onions, ginger and garlic and fry till light brown and transluscent (5-6 min)
Add the tomatoes and cook till soft.
Now add in salt , pepper and turmeric. Mix well.

Transfer the cleaned and washed chicken to above mixture. add adequate water and cover the pan. Cook till chicken is done. Stir in between. and keep adjusting the water.

Lastly add the yougurt (well beaten). Mix and cook for another 5 min.

The curry should by this time thickly coat the chicken.

Serve hot with a garnish of corainder and garam masala.

ND

ND, isn't calling that style of chicken 'North Indian' a bit sweeping? Would a Kashmiri household prepare chicken in that fashion?

It does look like a delicious recipe, though. I applaud your liberal quantities of onions. Just about everything I make starts with lightly caramelized onions - and a ton of them.

Hello Scott
:)

Kashmir is the northern most state of India. When I say "northern India" it includes all the states in that region.

Yes kashmiris would also cook chicken in a similar manner. In adition they would add some cashewnuts / walnuts . They might also add some fennel to their dishes.

Minor variations do come across, but the basic recipe is the same.

Also we do use a lot of onions in our food. Most of the curries have a "masala" made from pureed onions and tomates which are coked till the water content is completely dried. Then you add oil / butter and cook some more. add salt. and this mixture can be refrigerated for two weeks. You can use that in many dishes.

ND

Back
Top Bottom