Chicken Leftovers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyndalou

Head Chef
I have almost a whole rotisserie chicken in my fridge from last nights dinner. Any suggestions as to how I can use them? I'd like something a little different from quesadillas or tacos. Appreciate any ideas.

Thanks

I use the roto chickens for chicken salad. Our favorite way to use them is for chicken and dumplings. I cook the chicken in stock for a while til it is easy to come off the bones then remove all the bones, cartilage, etc. Add the seasonings that we like and more stock as needed then the dumplings.Many times I use the frozen dumplings since I don't do them from scratch.I add the chicken back just long enough to warm them.

hicken pot pie with mashed potato top, chicken lasagna, chicken tortilla soup, enchiladas, etc

Strip the chicken off the carcass. Saute some chopped garlic and onion in a large skillet. Add in diced celery and carrots and saute a bit longer. Add in some frozen peas, the chicken and a can of broth (or homemade if you have it) cover and simmer on low for a few minutes. Make a slurry out of flour and water and stir in. Once thickened, transfer to a baking dish and top with either: Biscuits, pre-made pie crust, or crescent roll dough layed out flat. Back at the temperature for the topping until golden brown.

Have another chicken dinner. Sliced chicken for sandwiches. Fajitas. Salad greens, walnuts, dried cranberries, sliced chicken and raspberry vinaigrette.

I never have chicken leftovers. I ALWAYS make too much chicken for the meal I plan so I can have cold cooked chicken to make something else later.

I see that some of the best are covered by the above posters so I will go with chicken quesadillas! shread or chop the chicken into manageable bites and just add to the cheese between the tortillas. Cut into triangles and serve with sour cream (or greek yogurt for the dieter) and salsa.

A variation of this is the italian style. I use mozzarella cheese and instead of using a frying pan I bake the sandwiched tortilla for 5 minutes on one side then flip and 10 minutes on the other. They are crispy and you can dip them into pizza sauce!

I forgot....BBQ Chicken pizza. Take your favorite pizza crust, brush on EVOO and season with salt and pepper. Spoon on a layer (thin) of your favorite BBQ sauce, add shredded chicken, diced peppers and red onions, provolone and jack cheese and bake according to the crust directions.

Back
Top Bottom