"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Chicken, Turkey & other Fowl

Old 06-21-2011, 12:51 AM   #1
Head Chef

Chicken legs, mushroom soup, rice suggestion

I have a Corning 10 -1/2 X 6-1/2 X 2" tall rectangular casserole dish. Perfect for cooking up this dish. I have a can of mushroom soup, celery soup, a jar of mushrooms, celery, spices, long grain rice and Minute rice. 3 -chicken legs.

I'm hesitant to do liquids added to rice and placing the chicken on top and baking. I foresee the rice maybe coming out soggy, uncooked, or like that.

Most bed of rice recipes call for 3/4 cup of long grained rice and various liquids (soup and water, soup and milk, ect.). Too many choices, lol.

Did your chicken on rice bake come out perfect? I see a soggy mess maybe. Do any of you prefer the rice be made separately?

Anyways, with what I have listed as my available ingredients, and my rectangular casserole dish, would anyone care to share their tried and true mushroom soup-rice-chicken bake? Do you cook the rice seperate? How about the chopped celery and mushroom too, is that worth adding somehow (probably only if it's gonna be a rice bed bake?) Thanks

Old 06-21-2011, 05:52 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I have tried several times to make the Campbell's soup recipe for chicken and rice like you described. It has NEVER come out right. As you mentioned, the rice is mostly underdone, and the edges undone.

I figured if it was a Campbell's Kitchen recipe, it should be foolproof, but it turned out to be a waste of time and food.

I gave up after a couple of failures. Even if the rice had come out right, it wasn't anything special.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:08 AM   #3
Head Chef

That's why I mentioned the exact size of my Corning Ware, lol.

I was hoping someone here had a similar sized dish that I was going to use.
It's perfect for this dish.

It would probably take me many many tries to get the rice just right.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:11 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I have found that in these one pot dishes, Minute Rice is your friend. I'm sure there is a way to get it right with uncooked rice, but I know I can get it right with instant rice. I make a similar dish, but on the stove top.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:19 AM   #5
Head Chef

Me being an expert minute rice cook, sounds like a good first try, using minute rice.
Rectangular Corning Ware casserole dish.

Come on...no ones got that size Corning Ware dish? I'm dreadfully lazy.

The perfect sized dish for Chicken- whatever soup...plus rice... set and forget in oven at whatever for however.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:14 AM   #6
Head Chef

Bake and forget chicken mushroom rice setup

I have spices. Also, sorry if I come off like the best recipe wins.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chicken, rice1.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	11236  
Old 06-21-2011, 09:12 AM   #7
Master Chef

I do a chicken on rice dish with Rice-a-Roni. I agree that Minute rice is good for these kinds of dishes. Regular rice will have inconsistent outcomes and requires much more liquid. When ever I've tried to replace Minute rice with regular, I always seem to have underdone rice and over done chicken.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:18 AM   #8
Senior Cook

I always use minute rice as well.

betterthanabox.org
betterthanabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:50 AM   #9
Senior Cook

My TNT chicken and rice dish requires a three-quart Pyrex baking dish and I use halved breast pieces, two thighs, two legs and two wings from a large chicken. The rest of the recipe is: 1 envelope dried onion soup, 1 can cream of mushroom soup, 1 1/4 cups milk, 1 1/4 cups water or white wine, 1 1/4 cups regular raw long grain white rice. Mix the soups, liquids and rice in the three quart baking dish, then place chicken pieces on top. Bake at 375 for an hour until rice is cooked and chicken is browned. I've never had mushy rice with this recipe and if the rice was undercooked it was because I didn't leave it in the oven long enough. The original recipe asked that chicken be dotted with butter and 15 minutes before everything was cooked the chicken could be sprinkled with parmesan cheese. Not needing all the grease, I leave both items out and it's a favorite. If you want to make it a little richer, substitute 1/2 cup plus two tablespoons of raw brown rice and the same amount of raw pearled barley for the white rice. The cooking time changes to 1 hour and 45 minutes, but the flavor and the texture of the brown rice/barley mixture is out of sight wonderful.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:23 PM   #10
Head Chef

Damnit, i forgot to buy Lipton soup mix. I've seen that as an ingredient in my net searches.

And thanks for the Minute Rice suggestion...I'm a novice at cooking real rice.

A product of the modern age, me and minute rice.

Tags
chicken, rice, soup