Chicken liver pate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I haven't made it in many years but here's what I used to do.

Saute a pound of livers with sliced onions. Hard cook three eggs peel and cool. Combine in a food processor with mayonnaise and some pickle. Season with salt and pepper.

Try this recipe:

CHICKEN LIVER PATE

115gm chicken livers
1 small garlic clove, chopped
1 tbsp sherry
2 tbsp brandy
50gm butter - melted
1/4 tsp salt
Fresh herbs and black peppercorns

Place livers and chopped garlic in a food processor and whiz until smooth. Add sherry, brandy, melted butter and salt. Pour mixture into 3-in ramekins and cover with foil. Place ramekins in a small roasting pan and pour in boiling water until it comes halfway up the side. Bake in oven at 180 degrees C for 20 mins. Allow to cool to room temperature, then remove from tin and chill until ready to use.

carolelaine said:
Thank you I will try them both.

I think my recipe is more of a chopped liver as you would find in a deli rather than a pate as described in boufa06's recipe.

carolelaine said:
Want to make some pate this weekend. What is your favorite recipe?

Made a mushroom pate long ago. Very tasty & a great party appy.

Andy,
Your recipe is almost exactly what I ended up making except I did mine in the food processor. It was great. Thanks

carolelaine said:
Andy,
Your recipe is almost exactly what I ended up making except I did mine in the food processor. It was great. Thanks

I'm glad you liked it. I did min in a FP as well. It's the easiest way to get a smooth texture.

My Dad’s chicken livers

2 lbs chicken livers
1 lb bacon
1 large onion
Garlic
Salt & pepper to taste

Clean livers well cut all veins & fat off of them.

Sauté bacon till close to crisp, drain fat
add chicken livers & ½ of the onions
cook untill livers are just done
add garlic simmer for a few minutes
add remaining ½ of the onions, turn off heat

let it cool, grind it up & enjoy

I like to spice it up a bit, maybe:
Cumin
Thyme
Smoked paprika
Celery seed
Hard-boiled egg slices on the side

Last edited:
Saute in butter.. chicken livers, finely chopped onions, a couple of good bacon rashers chopped, and a little fresh sage until livers just slightly pink. Flambe with brandy, add S&P. Cool. Place into processor with some butter ( enough to bind mix well, add more if required) and puree.
Taste, adjust seasoning if needed then pot into individual ramekins. Cover with a fresh sage leaf then clarified butter. Refrigerate and use within 3 days.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom